*Caddyshack
*Slap Shot
*WildCats
*The Natural
*Hoosiers
*KingPin
*Hoop Dreams

Not really a sports fan,...........BASEketball, lol

If we can count chess as a sport then Searching for Bobby Fisher is up there on my list.

I would class Chess as a hobby rather than a sport

Originally Posted by scissorhands85
If we can count chess as a sport then Searching for Bobby Fisher is up there on my list.
Yeah, you can count it. Great cinematography. Interesting news- The real Bobby Fischer was arrested a few months ago in Japan.

These are not necessarily my favorite top 10 and I don't consider these to be the BEST sports movies, but I found them entertaining enough to list.

The Color of Money
Remember the Titans
Any Given Sunday
Miracle
Mystery, Alaska
Varsity Blues
Rounders
Youngblood
The Program
Tin Cup

Good thread Joe!!

The only two I can think of that I actually liked at all are Eight Men Out and Ping Pong. All the other ones either sucked or I can't remember.

I wipe my ass with your feelings
1. Any Given Sunday - I glow when I hear its name.
2. Jerry Maguire - Really, yes.
3. Remember the Titans
4. All Rockys but 5.
5. Might Ducks series.

Haven't seen many....usually they suck.

It's hard to believe a subject like this hasn't been covered before. Oh, wait...it has. What a surprise. There are threads like THIS ONE, THIS ONE and THIS ONE.

BEST
1. Raging Bull (1980 - Martin Scorsese)
2. Breaking Away (1979 - Peter Yates)
3. Hoop Dreams (1994 - Steve James)
4. Bull Durham (1988 - Ron Shelton)
5. Personal Best (1982 - Robert Towne)
6. Hoosiers (1986 - David Anspaugh)
7. Eight Men Out (1988 - John Sayles)
8. "Brian's Song" (1971 - Buzz Kulik)
9. The Longest Yard (1974 - Robert Aldrich)
10. The Bad News Bears (1976 - Michael Ritchie)

*also Let It Ride (1989), White Men Can't Jump (1992), Without Limits (1998), Tin Cup (1996), Caddyshack (1980) and Slap Shot (1977)

WORST
1. The Waterboy (1998) & Happy Gilmore (1996)
2. Caddyshack 2 (1988)
3. Varsity Blues (1999)
4. Any Given Sunday (1999)
5. The Mighty Ducks (1992) & D2 (1994) & D3 (1996)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
My favs:

The Bad News Bears
Hoosiers
Breaking Away
Heaven Can Wait
(I must have watched this 50 times when I was a kid, it might suck, I don't remember.)
The Longest Yard (E. Albert great here)
Caddyshack
Personal Best
(this is really a great movie)
The Karate Kid
The Jericho Mile

I have yet to see Raging Bull, which I believe I can finally purchase at the end of this month...

Hated:
The Waterboy
Rocky 3
(Hogan AND Mr. T?? Ahhhhhhhhh)

The Bad News Bears in Breaking Training - has to be the worst, ever. The scene where Lupis is in the hospital bed and tanner and him exchange loving stares made me SICK, I mean really ill. I thought about throwing my life away and killing the director, actually hunting him down and destroying him for placing that image in my mind.

Hate to beat a dead horse here, but please use the search function next time before creating threads, to make sure one (or more in this case) threads on the subject don't already exist....

Damn thos bad news bears, I need to rant more about this steaming pile of garbage. The first BNB was a cute comedy, well written, about the underdog trudging to victory. In TBNBIBT, the kids commit grand theft auto, pull a con job on all the parents, trick a retarded guy into helping, drink at age 10, and about 50 other morally reprehensible activities. Who has this directors address???

Originally Posted by Charismasloverno5
I would class Chess as a hobby rather than a sport
The International Olympic Committee lists Chess as a sport.

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Those lists are insulting as not a single one of them contains For Love Of the Game, the greatest sports film of all time.

Like hell it does. Unless you just don't like Kevin Costner, there really isn't anything you can point out about that movie that makes it any less eligible for a spot on any top sports film list. It's more inspiring than half the movies already listed and just overall more well down than all of them (save for Raging Bull and Hoop Dreams, but documentaries are another matter all together).

Like Hell it doesn't. I listed Bull Durham in my top ten and gave honorable mention to Tin Cup, so I don't have a problem with Costner in and of himself. But Raimi's flick is just so crushingly average on every level that it's actually more disappointing than something with zero potential in the first place. As a cruddy little made-for-TV movie it would have been passable as forgettable garbage. It's a little better than Message in a Bottle, but not much. They're bad movies. The sports angle don't enter into it, it's simply bad.

But to each his own!

Hey, that reminds me: where's that poster who went around all the time saying the dud Instinct (1999) was one of the greatest films ever made? You two should get together and start a club.

I can give you that it isn't as chock full of sports moments and spends a good deal of time on the character. Though most sports films do such, For Love of the Game a little more, but to me that just makes the movie that much better. It's less about the sport of baseball and more about just being a champion. It takes you perfectly into the world of the pitcher and every single time I see it I root with the same exact enthusiasm as the last time. Maybe I'm just a sucker for no-hitters.

As for Instinct, I'm not sure if thats a knock at me because I actually was that poster (I remember being fairly enamored with Instinct when I first saw it), but either way For Love of the Game is still a damn fine sports flick.