Silverlight

Tools    

movieposterstore.co.uk
I'm a new user and this is my first post. Be gentle with me.

I used to enjoy LoveFilm.com, watching the streaming movies from their website. I have also given Netflix a try but was not impressed with it. Lately, both of these websites have changed their streaming tech to Microsoft Silverlight.

As a Mac user I live a happy Microsoft-free life and never want ANY Microsoft crap in my world. However, I caved and decided to try the Mac version of Silverlight to watch a streamed movie. The result was disgraceful. Choppy image, poor connection, and it kept crashing when I clicked into full screen mode.

I looked into Silverlight a bit more (I'd never heard of it before) and it seems that studios are insisting that streaming services use it now instead of Flash because of its stricter DRM code. So in other words, it's not about an improved customer experience but an attempt by the studios to combat piracy because they seem to think every single person out there is going to rob them.

Result? I cancelled my membership to both services and now use blinkbox.com although they are slow at getting new movies. It's probably only a matter of time before they go to Silverlight too. Frankly this crappy Microsoft tech has ruined online movies for me - they've pushed me well away from it. Thanks a bloody lot. Ruined it for me, a legal viewer willing to pay, whilst doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to stop the pirates. Nice going ass holes!

Anyway has anyone had any experiences with Silverlight? I'd be interested to know.

I've never had any problems with Silverlight; it's just another movie plugin. Works lovely, for me, and it's designed to be used by everyone. Might have been bad luck with that particular thing; particularly the connection, which I wouldn't think would have much to do with format.

I don't really have strong feelings about it; I installed it so I can watch more things, and that's pretty much been the end of it. I've had way more trouble with Quicktime, frankly, even though when it does work it's nice and crisp. Maybe the lesson is that both proprietary formats work choppily on the other guy's OS.

fwiw, Microsoft is telling developers to quit using Silverlight for the desktop and only use it on Windows mobile. As if anyone used Windows mobile.