A question for all Atheists

Tools    

I didn't know for sure. I thought you had, my mistake.

BTW, I was teasing you, of course.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

BTW, I was teasing you, of course.
Of course.

Don't worry, I'd never, ever allow myself to be the type to read something and then go around spouting off about it as if I'd known about it for years. I'm somewhat new to philosophy, theology, and apologetics, so some of these concepts are still pretty fresh to me.

However, there's no doubt that I've found that forums like this one are the best way to test such ideas out, so to speak, to see if they hold up under scrutiny.

Well, in Genesis, didn't God say, "Be fruitful and multiply"? There's your answer to the question; Which came first, God or the slide rule?

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Originally posted by Yoda

It's not unimportant. Frankly, it's apathy like that that hurts us all, in my opinion. The worst thing you can do is take a "who cares?" attitude to issues like this.

It's not a Who Cares attitude, and don't mistake it for apathy. I honestly believe that while it is important to remember the past or be doomed to repeat it, it is not important to know where math came from. There are many things in this world that we should concern ourselves with, but this isn't one of them. (I have no patience for existentialism.... )

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

If you're an Atheist, it is definitely something you should concern yourself with.

I just realized our Head Atheist hasn't weighed in yet. What say you to this issue, fire? I've been anxiously awaiting your viewpoint and/or explanation.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Did we invent the laws of gravity? No. There you have it! An evidence of God's existence!!!

Listen, this discussion is exactly the same as the one about evolution, it leads nowhere. It's just an excuse for some people to show off their rethorical skills (I confess, do you?). This discussion is also a symbol of a paradox that is the base for this debate:

The human being is intelligent enough to come up with great ideas (Time, Space, God) to explain the world around us so we don't go crazy. But after having discovered (or invented or what the hell ever) these things the human being says: "Hey, this is too good to be natural! It has to be supernatural or a work of the Gods!". So the human being start using its intelligence to prove its lack of intelligence, and that is the paradox.

It's not an established fact, hell, it's not even a fact! But that doesn't seem to be required here anyway... This discussion is completely philosophical, which is fine with me, but to say that loose arguments and assumtions are the same as evidences is naive.

Mathematic is definite (right?). Philosophing about its origin doesn't lead to anything close to definite. This little planet is part of a much much bigger picture and the question of who or what painted that picture (if it was ever painted) will only receive a man made answer after all.

The human being is intelligent enough to come up with great ideas (Time, Space, God) to explain the world around us so we don't go crazy. But after having discovered (or invented or what the hell ever) these things the human being says: "Hey, this is too good to be natural! It has to be supernatural or a work of the Gods!". So the human being start using its intelligence to prove its lack of intelligence, and that is the paradox.
It isn't a paradox, because the "prove its lack of intelligence" part is your own fabrication. Surmising that God exists is not acknowleding a lack of intelligence. It's just acknowleding a Higher Power...there's no inherent paradox.

It's not an established fact, hell, it's not even a fact! But that doesn't seem to be required here anyway... This discussion is completely philosophical, which is fine with me, but to say that loose arguments and assumtions are the same as evidences is naive.
What loose arguments? What assumptions? Your entire post is some kind of odd appeal to get others to stop talking about this; it doesn't seem to contribute to this discussion at all. It doesn't even ATTEMPT to offer an explanation for the immutable laws of the Universe. So what the heck's your point, man?

What's naive is the assumption that everyone here argues for the same reasons you do. I don't argue to show off. I argue because I can't stand what I see as BS, and because I want to do everything I can to contribute to The Great Relearning. If I impress anyone along the way, it's gravy.

Mathematic is definite (right?). Philosophing about its origin doesn't lead to anything close to definite. This little planet is part of a much much bigger picture and the question of who or what painted that picture (if it was ever painted) will only receive a man made answer after all.
The fact that Mathematics is definite is definitely strong evidence of something, because precision always requires explanation.

If we find ten coins scattered on the ground, we assume someone dropped them. If we find ten coins on the ground all lined up, we assume someone put them that way. Precision and complexity imply intelligence and require explanation. "Luck" is a cop-out answer.

Natural selection may, potentially, explain biological complexity in our world; so where's the explanation for the complexity of things that do not breed and evolve?

If you think there is no Higher Power, tell me why these Universal laws exist. I'm sorry, but something akin to "oh, well this is all a waste of time" is not an answer. I'm not going to stop talking about this because you happen to think it fruitless. I argue for many reasons...the ones you mention are at the BOTTOM of my list. If you don't like it, great...then you can ignore this thread. It'd certainly make more sense than arguing, arguing, and then arguing about how ridiculous you think it is.

Frankly, I'm amazed at your post; it's the all-too-common (I'm not exaggerating...it pops up all over the Internet) "we're so small...we know nothing. This is pointless" argument...if you can even call it an argument. By that logic, why should we ever discuss anything that's not definite?

My life isn't written very well.
Yoda,

If mathmatics is, as you believe, a discovery, then why must it be taught?

also,

It is my understanding that all mathmatical equations are only theories. And theories aren't discovered, they're invented.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Originally posted by r3port3r66
If mathmatics is, as you believe, a discovery, then why must it be taught?
Two things:

1 - It doesn't NEED to be taught. No one was taught Math at first. Like I said: people have, in the past, by your logic, invented the exact same thing besides never coming into contact with each other. Seems rather convienent.

2 - We teach math because it's quicker to be taught about a discovery than to wait around for someone to discover it themselves. Fossils are discoveries...that doesn't mean that when they are discovered every single person in the World instantly knows about them. Mathematics is no different. Just because you CAN discover something doesn't mean you necessarily WILL, which is why we share information and education with each other in schools, forums like this, and all sorts of other places.

Originally posted by r3port3r66
It is my understanding that all mathmatical equations are only theories. And theories aren't discovered, they're invented.
Incorrect. Technically gravity is a theory, too; do you think we invented gravity? Certainly not. We just gave it a name. We DOCUMENT gravity. We observe it and write down what we see. It's the exact same thing with Math.

I'm sorry, but this is really grasping at straws. I've asked you numerous questions that you haven't answered which I think clearly demonstrates that Mathematics cannot possibly be an invention; so you brush those aside as if I didn't ask them and then ask your OWN questions?

If you're an Atheist, it is definitely something you should concern yourself with.
So if I was an atheist (Which I'm not) I should walk around wondering "Gee, I wonder where MATH came from?" That should consume my every waking thought? MATH. Really?

Blame my brother for this little nugget: If God did create math, He didn't WANT us to find it. In the bible, God tried to keep Adam and Eve from eating from the Tree of Knowledge, keeping them innocent and ignorant. The Tree of knowledge. Think about that.....

If I walked around all day thinking about the meaning of math, I would put a bullet in my face.

And not even a normal bullet from a revolver. I would shoot myself in the face with a shotgun so that the various pellets would make sure that I died witohut question.

I don't understand what you want from all of us, Yoda. From what I have seen, we have all agreed that math was discovered and not invented. It seems that the root of all your argumentitive threads are for us to acknowledge your faith as an unequivocal reality. That your truth is the truth. Why is it so important to you whether we believe in God or not?

Maybe Pid is right. Maybe this question is not as important as you think it is, or maybe it is to you alone. For me, this is not a question that keeps me up at night. I do have an understanding of it though, just not a definite answer to it.

I believe that the Law of Mathematics is universal. I do not see it as proof of God, rather a proof that for everything that seems unexplainable, there is an explanation. There are significant Laws that the universe seems to cling to. Perhaps for it's own sake of survival. If I had a belief that the universe was alive, you would be hard pressed to deny that belief, because it is a belief based on faith, just as yours is. You prefer a religious reasoning of faith for your idea of what constitutes an explanation of the universe. I do not, nor should I have to defend my reasoning ad nauseum to you. Not that I really mind, but regardless.

I admire your thirst for understanding, and your hunger for knowledge. I do not admire, however, your constant brow beating of people that do not share your beliefs. You may not see what you do in that way, but I have a feeling that there are more than a few of us that do. I, of course, cannot speak for anyone other than myself, and it's quite possible that I'm using language that is a bit too harsh. If I am, I sincerely apologize. I'm also not trying to imply that I dislike the debates, but sometimes they quit looking like debates, and more like sermons.

So, you believe God placed the Law of Mathematics into our hands to learn as we evolve. I believe that the Law of Mathematics is a part of the fundamental Law of the Universe, there because it is. Maybe someday we will learn the truth in life, or maybe only after death.

It isn't a paradox, because the "prove its lack of intelligence" part is your own fabrication.
Yup! Everything I write here is my own fabrication.

Surmising that God exists is not acknowleding a lack of intelligence. It's just acknowleding a Higher Power...there's no inherent paradox.
Why not? Because YOU say so? Just because I didn't read it in some book doesn't mean it's a worse theory than any other.

I never said believing in God's existence explicitly means acknowledging lack of intelligence, and you know I didn't. I acknowledge a Higher Power too - there's no way the human beings are the ruler of the Universe, even if some of them think so. But acknowledging a Higher Power to me isn't the same as believing in God.

What loose arguments? What assumptions? Your entire post is some kind of odd appeal to get others to stop talking about this; it doesn't seem to contribute to this discussion at all.[
Oh, is THAT what it is!?!

It doesn't even ATTEMPT to offer an explanation for the immutable laws of the Universe. So what the heck's your point, man?
My point is that this discussion is discussed for the sake of the discussion. Do you honestly think that you can convert any atheists by stating that math is the proof of God's existence? I don't think you believe you can. You're just upset because I'm telling you this discussion is totally fruitless.

I believe the question was whether I believe we discovered or invented math. Well, I guess we figured out how some parts of the universe functions, so then it must be kind of a discovery. But what would we have discovered if we were twice as intelligent than we in fact are? Or three times that intelligent? Or if we had two or three more senses of some sort?

What's naive is the assumption that everyone here argues for the same reasons you do. I don't argue to show off.
Come on, Yoda! Admit that you do it for the fun of it!

I argue because I can't stand what I see as BS, and because I want to do everything I can to contribute to The Great Relearning. If I impress anyone along the way, it's gravy.
The Great Relearning? Is that some kind of republican education program? Back to "the roots"? "The Good Old Days"?

Now THAT is BS.

The fact that Mathematics is definite is definitely strong evidence of something, because precision always requires explanation.
What?

If we find ten coins scattered on the ground, we assume someone dropped them. If we find ten coins on the ground all lined up, we assume someone put them that way. Precision and complexity imply intelligence and require explanation. "Luck" is a cop-out answer.
Laws of the Universe.

Natural selection may, potentially, explain biological complexity in our world; so where's the explanation for the complexity of things that do not breed and evolve?
A Higher Power? Nature? Constructions of the human mind?

If you think there is no Higher Power, tell me why these Universal laws exist. I'm sorry, but something akin to "oh, well this is all a waste of time" is not an answer. I'm not going to stop talking about this because you happen to think it fruitless. I argue for many reasons...the ones you mention are at the BOTTOM of my list. If you don't like it, great...then you can ignore this thread. It'd certainly make more sense than arguing, arguing, and then arguing about how ridiculous you think it is.
Again, didn't say there's no Higher Power.

Well, as long as I motivate why I think it's fruitless I think I'm entitled to speak.

You have serious problems with taking critic, Yoda. You are constantly telling everybody here "how it is!". And since I don't agree with you I'm just say "No, it's not!". I think I'm explaining my view of the universe fine by pointing out the irrelevance (the way I see it) of your arguments and so called evidences. You think a lot of what your opponents arguments, especially mine, are BS. Well, the feelings are mutual.

Frankly, I'm amazed at your post; it's the all-too-common (I'm not exaggerating...it pops up all over the Internet) "we're so small...we know nothing. This is pointless" argument...if you can even call it an argument. By that logic, why should we ever discuss anything that's not definite?
I do think we are small. I think we know something but not everything. I don't think it's pointless to discuss, just the way this discussion turned out.

You need order and answers to everything. If I thought there was a chance in hell to prove God's existence or non-existence by theories about the origin of mathematics I would participate in THAT discussion. Since I don't find any valid evidence in your argumentation about God's existence I chose to criticize the discussion as a whole. I'm sorry you can't take that.

Well spoken LordSlaytan, especially this:

Originally posted by LordSlaytan
So, you believe God placed the Law of Mathematics into our hands to learn as we evolve. I believe that the Law of Mathematics is a part of the fundamental Law of the Universe, there because it is. Maybe someday we will learn the truth in life, or maybe only after death.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
So...if math was discovered, there needs to be an explanination for its existance. If precision "always requires explanation", then please explain why God exists? Please propose the explanation as to what created God? Everything needs a creator. If you're just going to say something along the lines of "god was always there", then don't even bother saying it because that is more of a cop-out answer than "luck" could ever aspire to be.

I believe math was invented. If we didn't exist, math wouldn't exist. We invented a system that happens to fit. No we didn't invent gravity...we didn't invent any purposes for gravity...we didn't invent any effects of gravity...but if we weren't around, gravity wouldn't matter at all. It all just goes back to "if a tree falls in the woods, and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound", I personally don't think it does. Humans invent their own reality, it is different for each person, doesn't make one persons reality any more so true than anothers.

Lemme just put it this way. If we didn't exist...would God exist? Did we discover God, or did we invent God?

Internet was done for awhile. Fear not; I have returned to brow-beat further.

Monkeypunch

So if I was an atheist (Which I'm not) I should walk around wondering "Gee, I wonder where MATH came from?" That should consume my every waking thought? MATH. Really?
Funny. I never said anything even remotely like that. I said it's worth thinking of. I can't exactly be held responsible if you translate "thinking" into "consuming my every waking thought."

Blame my brother for this little nugget: If God did create math, He didn't WANT us to find it. In the bible, God tried to keep Adam and Eve from eating from the Tree of Knowledge, keeping them innocent and ignorant. The Tree of knowledge. Think about that.....
Nice try; it was called the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Not the Tree of Knowledge. The idea was that, by eating from it, you were saying you know what was good and bad BETTER than God.

LordSlaytan

I don't understand what you want from all of us, Yoda. From what I have seen, we have all agreed that math was discovered and not invented. It seems that the root of all your argumentitive threads are for us to acknowledge your faith as an unequivocal reality. That your truth is the truth. Why is it so important to you whether we believe in God or not?
It's not. You don't see me PMing people and picking fights. I ask questions. I only argue when argued with. I'm not talking to myself, am I? It takes two. I don't make a point to start arguing, or set out to prove someone wrong. I read things. If I agree with them, I say something to that effect, usually. If I don't, the same applies.

It only becomes a sermon if I start ignoring what people say and going off on pre-written speeches that don't address the questions or opposite side of the issue. I don't think I do that, frankly. I go out of my way to address everything everyone says in response to me, don't I?

How is that equivalent to brow-beating?

I believe that the Law of Mathematics is universal. I do not see it as proof of God, rather a proof that for everything that seems unexplainable, there is an explanation. There are significant Laws that the universe seems to cling to. Perhaps for it's own sake of survival. If I had a belief that the universe was alive, you would be hard pressed to deny that belief, because it is a belief based on faith, just as yours is. You prefer a religious reasoning of faith for your idea of what constitutes an explanation of the universe. I do not, nor should I have to defend my reasoning ad nauseum to you. Not that I really mind, but regardless.
A "living" Universe would indeed help to explain the Law of Mathematics, and the other Universal laws out there. Is this what you believe? Even if it were, it wouldn't answer our questions about God: who created this living Universe? Can it be killed? Etc.

If you attribute the Law of Mathematics to the Law of the Universe, we haven't really gotten anywhere. It just asks a slightly different question: where did the Law of the Universe come from? The same questions about coincidence and precision apply there.

Pidzilla

Yup! Everything I write here is my own fabrication.
No. A logical chain is not your own fabrication. But saying that one thing implies another without any bridge is indeed a fabrication. That's what I'm saying.

Why not? Because YOU say so? Just because I didn't read it in some book doesn't mean it's a worse theory than any other.
What're you talking about? I didn't read this in a book. Here's why not: because, logically, that's the way it is. You said it was a paradox; I'm saying there IS NONE.

Let's go back to what you said:

"But after having discovered (or invented or what the hell ever) these things the human being says: "Hey, this is too good to be natural! It has to be supernatural or a work of the Gods!". So the human being start using its intelligence to prove its lack of intelligence, and that is the paradox."

What I said before (and am saying again now) is that you're making an assumption: that saying "this is evidence of God" is somehow "proving its lack of intelligence." How do you get to that point? I realize you can't possibly be saying what you are saying, so, accordingly, I'm asking you what you actually meant.

But acknowledging a Higher Power to me isn't the same as believing in God.
Eh? How do you define "God"? It's generally used to describe a Higher Power. Occasionally it's used to describe a Higher Power with some kind of Will. How do you use it?

My point is that this discussion is discussed for the sake of the discussion. Do you honestly think that you can convert any atheists by stating that math is the proof of God's existence? I don't think you believe you can. You're just upset because I'm telling you this discussion is totally fruitless.
I'm not upset at all. THAT would be fruitless.

No, I dont' think I can convert anyone. Since when is that the only possible benefit of arguing, man?

Come on, Yoda! Admit that you do it for the fun of it!
I don't do it for the fun of it. If you want to know why I argue, I can tell you. I'd appreciate it if you'd stop making all these assumptions, though.

The Great Relearning? Is that some kind of republican education program? Back to "the roots"? "The Good Old Days"?

Now THAT is BS.
Geez, ANOTHER baseless assumption.

The Great Learning is a lot of things. But what do you care? Clearly you've already decided not only what it is, but that you don't like it, too.

Laws of the Universe.
See above: that's merely a semantic change that doesn't address the question. It's the same thing under a different name. It's akin to saying "God didn't create us...aliens did!" The question is the same: okay, if we came from aliens, where did the aliens come from?

If the Law of Mathematics is just one of the Laws of the Universe, how exactly does that explain anything about it? All it does is place it in an arbitrary group/naming system.

You have serious problems with taking critic, Yoda. You are constantly telling everybody here "how it is!". And since I don't agree with you I'm just say "No, it's not!". I think I'm explaining my view of the universe fine by pointing out the irrelevance (the way I see it) of your arguments and so called evidences. You think a lot of what your opponents arguments, especially mine, are BS. Well, the feelings are mutual.
I disagree with many, many, many people. As many as I agree with, easily. And you know what? The bulk of them have no problem with me. We don't see eye to eye, but we treat each other with respect.

Let me ask you this: if I have a problem taking criticism, why haven't I once insulted anyone? Why have you used stronger language than I have? Why haven't I made any personal attacks in the vein that you have? And I'm the one who can't take criticism? I implore you to step back and look at the way I've talked to you, and the way you've talked to me.

Your opinions of me are only a reflection of your courtesy towards me. I never said your arguments were BS; it's you that started using harsher language like that. Again...an assumption. I think we both know there's a difference between saying "I think you're mistaken" and "your argument is BS."

You need order and answers to everything. If I thought there was a chance in hell to prove God's existence or non-existence by theories about the origin of mathematics I would participate in THAT discussion. Since I don't find any valid evidence in your argumentation about God's existence I chose to criticize the discussion as a whole. I'm sorry you can't take that.
With all due respect, that's just very rude. I can take it just fine. I've taken tons of abuse. I've been called everything under the sun for merely disagreeing with others. I've been insulted and even threatened for respectful disagreement. I can take it as much as anyone you'll talk to on here, P.

Statements like "you need order and answers to everything" are just out of line. They attempt to explain what kind of person I am through simple arguments like this. They also express a dismissive "I know your type" kind of attitude. Frankly, that's just impolite.

When my friend tells me something, I listen...even if it's criticism. When someone like you comes along and acts rudely while also trying to tell me about my problems, I find it much more difficult to take what you say seriously. Why should I take advice on courtesy and respect from someone who can't show me either?

Peter returns! Your prescence in this thread is appreciate, oh Orange One.

Originally posted by OG-
So...if math was discovered, there needs to be an explanination for its existance. If precision "always requires explanation", then please explain why God exists? Please propose the explanation as to what created God? Everything needs a creator. If you're just going to say something along the lines of "god was always there", then don't even bother saying it because that is more of a cop-out answer than "luck" could ever aspire to be.
A fine point, but there is a crucial distinction here that changes the entire issue: the statement "everything needs a creator" is inherently false. Clearly everything cannot have a creator. Something needs to exist for its own sake, outside of everything else. You can't trace everything back to a creator, because the chain would never end.

Therefore, seeing as how SOMETHING had to come out of nothing, or always be here, it can't be called a cop-out at all to say that that thing is God. It might've been God...it might've been the Universe...but it had to be something. It can't be a cop-out to say something was always there if there is no other explanation.

Originally posted by OG-
I believe math was invented. If we didn't exist, math wouldn't exist. We invented a system that happens to fit. No we didn't invent gravity...we didn't invent any purposes for gravity...we didn't invent any effects of gravity...but if we weren't around, gravity wouldn't matter at all. It all just goes back to "if a tree falls in the woods, and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound", I personally don't think it does. Humans invent their own reality, it is different for each person, doesn't make one persons reality any more so true than anothers.
The tree question depends: how do you define sound? If it's the sound waves themselves, then yes, it makes a sound. If it's the noises you hear when your ear translates sound waves, then no, it doesn't.

The gravity example doesn't hold; gravity would matter. It keeps the Universe running, basically. And besides: notice that you say, without us, Math wouldn't exist, but without us, gravity wouldn't "matter." You acknowledge that gravity would exist if we did not.

I'll ask the same questions as before: if Math is an invention, why would people the world over come to the same conclusions about it? How did we CAUSE a circle's radius, multiplied by Pi and then by two, to equal its circumference?

Heck, how can it be an invention when all we did was observe something, and give it names? I can't imagine what kind of definition the word "invention" would have to have for that to qualify. Technically we did the same thing with fossils: observed something and named it and discussed it. But we didn't invent them. We observed fossils to exist the same way we observed certain Mathematical principles to exist.

Originally posted by OG-
Lemme just put it this way. If we didn't exist...would God exist? Did we discover God, or did we invent God?
That's an old concept; and, unfortunately, impossible to answer for sure. I think God would clearly exist...though I imagine that depends on whether or not we mean the same thing when we say "God." There's little to no doubt, reasonably, that there's a Something out there.