A question for all Atheists

Tools    

There's not really much to say to it, other than this:
  1. I hate math, too
  2. I don't hate organized religion.
  3. You can't really "develop theories" within Mathematics. You can't have the "theory" that this Math answer may have that problem. You just work through the numbers and find out. The theories we're discussing are concerned with the origin of the entire concept.
Happy?

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Math was discovered, but the language of mathematics was invented.

What does this have to do with atheists?

Originally posted by Yoda

In a way, yes. This is not an argument for Jesus, Christianity, or anything specific. It is an argument for SOMETHING beyond this world, however. I'm not saying some Higher Power intended for us to find it, use it, or anything. That's a seperate matter.

I'm a firm believer in taking one thing at a time in matters of thought. Maybe people reject, for example, the lifestyle of Christianity, without bothering to really examine beliefs. So I say this: start at the beginning. Think about a "something" beyond us. If you conclude there is a something, think about what it would probably be like. Etc.

In short, though, yes, I am doubtful that it could be a mere coincidence. Natural selection may be able to explain biological complexity (though only to a degree, IMO), but it doesn't explain the immutability of Universal laws...because Universal laws, as far as I know, don't breed.
STOP YELLING AT ME< OKAY?!?!?!?!

Alright, alright, I'm converted!!! Are you happy???
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

God was discovered, his word was written.

What does this have to do with mathematics?

Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
No.

You don't like me.
No comment.

Originally posted by OG-
What does this have to do with atheists?
Already went over that...a couple of times.

It was deliberate, man.

I even made a point of adding the third r so as that it didn't read as retreaded.

Why do you think I added the ?

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Honestly, I never, ever thought about where math came from. It's unimportant. It's always existed, people just gave it a name. I only have one question, and it's not a diss or anything towards anyone.

A question for all Religious folks

Why does it bother you if people believe in a higher power or not? People get all up in arms over somebody else's choice to not believe in God. It doesn't make any sense. Live and let live. I've had athiests as friends, and none of them forced me to convert to their side, and vice versa. So why the big deal?

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally posted by Yoda
I asked this on another thread, but it really deserves it's own discussion:

Did we invent Mathematics, or did we discover it?
I wasn't there to observe the event.

Originally posted by Monkeypunch
Honestly, I never, ever thought about where math came from. It's unimportant. It's always existed, people just gave it a name. I only have one question, and it's not a diss or anything towards anyone.
It's not unimportant. Frankly, it's apathy like that that hurts us all, in my opinion. The worst thing you can do is take a "who cares?" attitude to issues like this.

Okay, so it's always existed. So what of that? Why does the Universe has a roadmap of sorts if it's based on chaos? That's the question I've asked several times now: if it doesn't imply some Higher Power, then why is it here? How do you explain its existence?

It's a simple question...but it appears no one's even TRYING to answer it. Everyone's dancing around it, instead.

Originally posted by Monkeypunch
Why does it bother you if people believe in a higher power or not? People get all up in arms over somebody else's choice to not believe in God. It doesn't make any sense. Live and let live. I've had athiests as friends, and none of them forced me to convert to their side, and vice versa. So why the big deal?
Uh, what're you talkin' about? You say "people get all up in arms," but fact is, there really aren't any of them here. I only get up in arms when I see something I strongly disagree with. I have a low BS tolerance level. It applies to all issues...not just that of God.

Originally posted by Piddzilla
I wasn't there to observe the event.
Irrelevant. You weren't there to observe The Civil War, but you can comment on its origins. You can read about such things and figure it out for yourself if you really want to.

My life isn't written very well.
At its root, Mathmatics is a language. All languages are invented, therefore, mathmatics is an invention.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Originally posted by r3port3r66
At its root, Mathmatics is a language. All languages are invented, therefore, mathmatics is an invention.
That relies on a presupposition. If Mathematics is a language, who says all languages are invented? I think you mean that speech-based languages are invented, which is quite a different thing.

My life isn't written very well.
Name one language, spoken or not, that was not invented.