Reading Tab

Tools    

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
The Qur'an - translated by M. A. S. Abdel Haleem

The Expanse series was so good, it made me go read James S.A. Corey...

Currently reading this. Really digging it, changing the way I think of intelligence, creativity, and education.

Margaret Atwood seems to be really loved on the internet and even on this site, i saw this book in a charity shop i was volunteering in a few weeks back so i bought it and will finally start reading it.

This too. This was being used to prop up a table and i'm not even kidding.

Also just want to say that there was a copy of Final Fantasy 7: one with pictures on the disks when i was working there, at the time i had no money i had spent the last on my lunch but it was only marked £.6 and if i asked for it to be held for me to the next day it would've been; i forgot

It was gone...

Read this graphic novel the other night:

Thought the story, which was about schizophrenia, was really great. I was very drawn to the characters and found that inward perspective of the illness to be very accurate. My only criticism is that it felt very short, ultimately. I feel if I had more time to spend with these characters, in this world, I would have connected to them immensely. A minor criticism that is nonetheless a testament to the graphic novel, as it really means I wanted more of it.

+

A system of cells interlinked

Book three of The Expanse. Romping good fun!

Saikano (2001-2002)

Better than the adaptation, one of the most moving comics I ever read. 5/5

A Girl at the Shore

The 5th Inio Asano manga I read, so far one of the best (although maybe I am becoming more used to his very particular style). 4.5/5

A Bride's Story

Very atmospheric manga indeed but did not feel as special as its fans claim it to be. 4/5

A Drifting Life

Kinda disappointing (it's style is far more primitive than modern manga) but still impressive auto-biographical manga of one of the main developers of gekiga manga.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
Anything by Kafka, Beckett, Orwell, P. K. Dick, Séneca, Baruch de Espinoza and Schelling.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
How was The Troop? I've been meaning to read it for a while now.
Part 28 Days Later part Lord of the Flies, it definitely makes you cringe with some of the gross passages. For example; I winced at one particular bit which had a worm wrap around someone's spine. SHUDDER.

In the end I would rate it as average. It takes me a bit to read through books if I'm not 100% invested, this one took me a while. Cutter trades suspense and terror for shock and gore.

Recommended if you're into those types of books because this does it well.

Part 28 Days Later part Lord of the Flies, it definitely makes you cringe with some of the gross passages. For example; I winced at one particular bit which had a worm wrap around someone's spine. SHUDDER.

In the end I would rate it as average. It takes me a bit to read through books if I'm not 100% invested, this one took me a while. Cutter trades suspense and terror for shock and gore.

Recommended if you're into those types of books because this does it well.
Yeah, I tend to prefer suspense also, but I'll still give it a go. Are there any books you would recommend in the suspense and terror department?

You can't win an argument just by being right!
This was only recommended to me yesterday so havent bought it yet.

Forgotten War by Henry Reynolds. Historical account of the war between colonials and indigenous in my own country.

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

Basically my first proper Joyce thing. Well i've read one short story of his and the fart letters . Just started it yesterday so not sure what i think yet. It's pretty weird so far but i like his writing.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Yeah, I tend to prefer suspense also, but I'll still give it a go. Are there any books you would recommend in the suspense and terror department?
Just some cliched titles like Misery or Silence of the Lambs.

Joe Hill, King's son has some interesting titles like Heart Shaped Box which has a lot of suspense and terror. It's a ghost story/road trip with an aging rocker who loves to purchase morbid things related to death, such as snuff films, a noose that hung a convicted witch and his most recent item; a dead man's suit. The dead man's spirit is attached to the suit and haunts him. It was a quick read from a unique mind. A hear good things about N0S4A2, but I've yet to read it.

I thought The Martian was suspenseful and had the terror of being so alone on an isolated planet, but again, but had a lot of comedy elements and might not be what you're looking for.

John Dies At The End and This Book Is Full Of Spiders are some hilariously weird trips into suspenseful terror. But the comedy is high in these so I'm not so sure that's what you're looking for.

If you end up liking The Troop, Cutter's second novel is The Deep, which is a mix of The Abyss and The Thing. Sounds great, I found some of the novel to be a bit repetitive, but it's interesting visually.

Just some cliched titles like Misery or Silence of the Lambs.

Joe Hill, King's son has some interesting titles like Heart Shaped Box which has a lot of suspense and terror. It's a ghost story/road trip with an aging rocker who loves to purchase morbid things related to death, such as snuff films, a noose that hung a convicted witch and his most recent item; a dead man's suit. The dead man's spirit is attached to the suit and haunts him. It was a quick read from a unique mind. A hear good things about N0S4A2, but I've yet to read it.

I thought The Martian was suspenseful and had the terror of being so alone on an isolated planet, but again, but had a lot of comedy elements and might not be what you're looking for.

John Dies At The End and This Book Is Full Of Spiders are some hilariously weird trips into suspenseful terror. But the comedy is high in these so I'm not so sure that's what you're looking for.

If you end up liking The Troop, Cutter's second novel is The Deep, which is a mix of The Abyss and The Thing. Sounds great, I found some of the novel to be a bit repetitive, but it's interesting visually.
Read NOS4A2, I liked the imagination behind it, but it has its flaws. I wouldn't really recommend it if you're looking for something scary and such. I'm considering reading The Martian, I haven't seen the film yet and when there's a movie based on a book I usually go for the book first. Ghost stories aren't really my cup of tea, but I've read so many good things about Heart Shaped Box that I might just go ahead and give it a try. As for The Deep, it sounds like it would be a perfect read for me, I'll most likely pick it up either way. Thanks for the recs.

A system of cells interlinked
Anathem

Neal Stephenson

More mind-bending brilliance from Mr. Stephenson. Took a bit to get into the world building due to some creative use of language, but man, what a book. Has had me up many nights researching stuff like stellar evolution, quantum theory, and linguistics.