Movie Tab II

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (Danny Steinmann, 1985)
+
Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI (Tom McLoughlin, 1986)
+
Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (Rob Heddon, 1989)

Edgar G. Ulmer - The Man Off-Screen (Michael Palm, 2004)

Ulmer’s sadistic, expressionistic The Black Cat is probably his second most-well-known film, after Detour, but even it was very low-budget compared to contemporary Universal horrors.
Her Sister’s Secret (Edgar G. Ulmer, 1946)

Carnegie Hall (Edgar G. Ulmer, 1947)

Murder is My Beat (Edgar G. Ulmer, 1955)

Detour (Edgar G. Ulmer, 1945)
+

Femme fatale Ann Savage has unlucky hitchhiker Tom Neal’s number, but things don’t go as planned for either one.
The Amazing Transparent Man (Edgar G. Ulmer, 1960)

Our Betters (George Cukor, 1933)

After Office Hours (Robert Z. Leonard, 1935)
+
The Vikings (Richard Fleischer, 1958)

Slave Tony Curtis, raised as a Viking, and his enemy, Viking Kirk Douglas, fight over Welsh Princess Janet Leigh and which will lead their band.
Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (Rachel Talaly, 1991)

The Funhouse (Tobe Hooper, 1981)
-
Nine Miles Down (Anthony Waller, 2009)

Hotel Reserve (Victor Hanbury, Lance Comfort & Max Greene (Mutz Greenbaum), 1944)

Before WWII, Austrian refugee James Mason is forced by French Intelligence to return to a hotel to learn who “borrowed” his camera to photograph French military installations. He’s aided by guest Clare Hamilton in finding the spy.
Who Was That Lady? (George Sidney, 1960)

Return to House on Haunted Hill (Victor Garcia, 2007)

One is a Lonely Number (Mel Stuart, 1972)

The Fog (John Carpenter, 1980)
-

The denizens of the fog invade the church of priest Hal Holbrook who just learned some secrets about his town that happened a century ago.

This is a nice ape (in Phenomena).

Cool World (Ralph Bakshi, 1992)

Phenomena (Dario Argento, 1985)
(probably a 5 on the crazy scale)
Go for Sisters (John Sayles, 2013)

Hollywoodland (Allen Coulter, 2006)
+
The Glass Bottom Boat (Frank Tashlin, 1966)
+
Above Suspicion (Richard Thorpe, 1943)
+
Saboteur (Alfred Hitchcock, 1942)

Innocent man-on-the-run Robert Cummings confronts real saboteur Norman Lloyd (he turns 100 next month) on the flame of the Statue of Liberty.
Ghost Ship (Sieve Beck, 2002)

Camera Sleuth (David Barclay, 1951)
-
Yella (Christian Petzold, 2007)

The Innocents (Jack Clayton, 1961)

Governess Deborah Kerr begins to see and hear strange things when she comes to an English country manor.
The Uninvited (Lewis Allen, 1945)

Night of Dark Shadows (Dan Curtis, 1971)
-
Lake Placid (Steve Miner, 1999)

The Others (Alejandro Amenábar, 2001)

Why is Nicole Kidman outside, separated from her children?
Dead Souls (Colin Theys, 2012)

Porky in Wackyland (Robert Clampett, 1938)
+
Duck Amuck (Charles M. [Chuck] Jones, 1953)
+
V for Vendetta (James McTeigue, 2005)

In a future, fascist England, a “commom man” (Hugo Weaving) uses terrorist tactics to incite the people to overthrow the government. Here's the crescendo.
Duck Dodgers in the 24˝th Century (Charles M. [Chuck] Jones, 1953)
-
What’s Opera, Doc? (Chuck Jones, 1957)
-
Pigs in a Polka (I. [Friz] Freling, 1943)

Edge of Tomorrow (Doug Liman, 2014)
+

Reluctant soldier Tom Cruise finds himself on the invasion-landing beach battling aliens over and over again, but he uses what he learns to “get smart” enough to potentially win the war.
Kiss Me Kate (George Sidney, 1953)
+
One Froggy Evening (Charles M. [Chuck] Jones, 1955)
+
Tarzan and His Mate (Cedric Gibbons, 1934)

Darkness Light Darkness (Jan Svankmajer, 1989)
+

What starts out as a hand in a house lets enough body parts inside to build a person.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

The Glass Bottom Boat (Frank Tashlin, 1966)
+
I thought this was much better than a 2 star rating. I really liked both Doris Day and Rod Taylor in this movie, plus it had a great supporting cast, and it was a lot of fun.

Duck Amuck (Charles M. [Chuck] Jones, 1953)
+
Duck Dodgers in the 24˝th Century (Charles M. [Chuck] Jones, 1953)
-
What’s Opera, Doc? (Chuck Jones, 1957)
-
One Froggy Evening (Charles M. [Chuck] Jones, 1955)
+
Now these are much more accurate ratings, except for "One Froggy Evening" which should be higher than a 3 rating.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Phenomena (Dario Argento, 1985)
I predicted the ending. I told myself "it would be freakin' madballs if this film ended that way", but the nearer the end it was the less hope I had. Then, boom! And it happened. Too bad I didn't enjoy the whole film that much. I give it
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I predicted the ending. I told myself "it would be freakin' madballs if this film ended that way", but the nearer the end it was the less hope I had. Then, boom! And it happened. Too bad I didn't enjoy the whole film that much. I give it
You described my prediction of/reaction to the ending to a t.

I thought this was much better than a 2 star rating. I really liked both Doris Day and Rod Taylor in this movie, plus it had a great supporting cast, and it was a lot of fun.
It was fun for what it was - a high 2 star movie.

Now these are much more accurate ratings, except for "One Froggy Evening" which should be higher than a 3 rating.
They're all accurate - for me and hopefully for others who are interested.

On the Waterfront (1954) -

Ultimo tango a Parigi [Last Tango in Paris] (1972) -

Some films I've seen in the past few weeks:

Idiots and Angels (2008) -
+

Ridiculously creative film that everyone should definitely check out for the upcoming animation top 100 list!

Heavy Traffic (1973) -

Works very well when it's aiming for meaning through shocks and humor, but doesn't quite work all the time (in my opinion) when it tries to touch the heart with more"sentimental" scenes.

Fantastic Voyage (1966) -
+

A film with a very relaxing pace that features some nostalgic special effects with trippy colors. I appreciate it as a sci-fi adventure film, but regretfully it never transcends to anything bigger. The ending is also way too abrupt.

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) -
-

A classic superhero film that sometimes seems to invert certain genre clichés through humor, but ultimately embraces every single one of them (which was to be expected from Marvel of coure).
In the end, it's just another superhero ensemble movie, but the fact that it takes place in outer space and that it has a more swinging soundtrack and a more nostalgic and funny atmosphere to it, makes it better than most of the other pictures of its genre. I enjoyed it.

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (2014) -

I watched it in 3D and visually it was a pretty cool experience, but content-wise it's nowhere near the original Sin City. Eva Green is ridiculously entertaining to watch, though.

Space Station 76 (2014) -
(+)

This film had my attention from the moment I heard about it, because the concept somehow seemed very interesting to me. I ended up liking it quite a bit, as I kind of got what I expected.

Angel Heart (1987) -
(+)

This is a brilliant horror film that is disguised as a mysteriously weird and steamy film noir. I LOVED it!

M (1931)
+

The kind of social noir film that Kurosawa ended up making a few of in the late '40s and early '60s, but this time set in Germany in the '30s and directed by the great Fritz Lang. The film simply works on every level. It's no wonder it's still seen as one of the major achievements in the history of cinema.

A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014) -
-

Not daring enough and therefore quite weak.

Scarlet Street (1945) -
+

A film doesn't get much darker than this American film noir by Fritz Lang. I loved every darkly stylish second of it! Edward G. Robinson is amazing.

They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (1969) -
+

This is such a unique film... I absolutely adored it. It's a wonderfully original depection of the depression era and of the human condition in times of despair. Jane Fonda kills it.

Gone Girl (2014) -

As expected, I really liked the newest Fincher film. It works extremely well in its more pulpy and "over the top" moments. As a fan of dark humor, I found myself laughing with it quite a bit and the film also had enough interesting content to function as a conversation topic (I had some interesting discussions about the film with some friends of mine after we saw it at the theater).

The Nutty Professor (1963) -

Jerry Lewis is of course hilariously entertaining to watch (especially as the bad playboy). I enjoyed it!

The Lady Eve (1941) -
+

Fantastic screwball comedy that features Barbara Stanwyck at her most beautiful and sweetly vicious. Everything works in this film.

Lost Highway (1997) -

This film is Lynch having fun telling a pulpy story about revenge and guilt in an unusual, but typically surreal fashion. Sensational!

22 Jump Street (2014) -
+

Not as wildly entertaining as the first one in my opinion, but still quite funny and clever (for a mainstream Hollywood comedy). Jonah Hill simply knows how to make me laugh, so his presence is always a plus for me.

The Palm Beach Story (1942) -
+

Another fun screwball comedy by Preston Sturges full of witty dialogue and piquant humor.

Fury (2014) -

The film works when it aims for brutality and the two main action scenes (the tank battle against the Tiger and the ultimate finale) are wonderfully executed and are full of thrilling suspense. It's too bad that the film was ultimately framed within a war story and message that I've seen way too many times before. Still a very solid film that is definitely worth watching!

If you want my deeper opinion about one of these films, please feel free to ask!

Killing Them Softly

Recent Watches (Ranked):
Killing Them Softly (Dominik, 2012) -
++
Venus in Fur (Polanski, 2013) -

American Psycho (Harron, 2000) -

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex * But Were Afraid to Ask (Woody Allen, 1972)-

Blended (Coraci, 2014) -

Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa (Tremaine, 2013) -
-

Dead of Night
(1945) -
(Creepypastas from the 40s! Very cliche and predictable today, who knows how they felt by the time the film was released. Two stories I remember the most are the mirror one and, arguably the best, the one about a ventriloquist. The ending of this little story is creepy as hell!)
Kid Auto Races at Venice (1914) -
(One of the first Chaplin films [he doesn't even direct this one], not a bad idea, but it gets monotonous very fast)
Pay Day (1922) -
(Kinda witty and feel good, but lacks (melo)drama that is a must for me when it comes to Chaplin)
The Kid (1921) -
(Cute, sad and at times funny The Kid is my favourite silent Chaplin so far. The dream sequence is poetically beautiful and I only wish SPOILER he'd died on those stairs at the end. END OF SPOILER)
Уход великого старца [Departure of a Grand Old Man] (1912) -
(My third Protazanov film and probably my least favouite of them; it's about the last days of the life of Tolstoy. The ending is pretty good.)

Blood from the Mummy’s Tomb (Seth Holt, 1971)
+
Mad Love (Karl Freund, 1935)

Wicked Little Things (JS Cardone, 2006)
+
The Birds (Alfred Hitchcock, 1963)

The birds lay waste to Bodega Bay and Melanie [Griffith’s mom] (Tippi Hedren).
Ciao Manhattan (John Palmer & David Weisman, 1972)

A Night at the Movies: The Horrors of Stephen King (Laurent Bouzereau, 2011)

Dark Mirror (Pablo Proenza, 2007)

The Haunting (Robert Wise, 1963)

Someone or something desperately wants to get into the room with psychics Julie Harris and Claire Bloom.
Seed of Chucky (Dan Mancini, 2004)
+
I Accidentally Domed Your Son (Ryan Combs, 2004)

Quadrophenia (Franc Roddam, 1979)

End of Watch (David Ayer, 2012)

LAPD cops Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Peńa share some lighter moments in between all the intense and violent ones.
Tarzan the Apeman (W.S. Van Dyke, 1932)
+
The American Scream (Michael Stephenson, 2012)

Bananas!* (Fredrik Gertten, 2009)

The Sandman (Paul Berry, 1991)

The Sandman creeps into a boy’s bedroom and steals something from him.
How to Break 90 #4: Downswing (George Marshall, 1933)

Splice (Vincenzo Natali, 2009)

Scary or Die (Michael Emanuel, Bob Badway & Igor Meglic, 2012)

Jacob’s Ladder (Adrian Lyne, 1990)

Vietnam veteran Tim Robbins is having recurring nightmares that he’s going to or actually in hell.

Gone Girl (2014) - David Fincher
-
Cleo From 5 to 7 (1962) - Agnes Varda
+

To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) - Robert Mulligan
+

The Trial of Joan of Arc (1962) - Robert Bresson
+
The Manchurian Candidate (1962) - John Frankenheimer

My Life to Live (1962) - Jean-Luc Godard
+
Cape Fear (1962) - J Lee Thompson
-
Jules & Jim (1962) - Francois Truffaut
+
Sara (1993) - Dariush Mehrjui
+
Fat Girl (2001) - Catherine Breillat
+

Nice you liked To Kill a Mockingbird, Sane. It's a movie that I also rate
, mainly because of the cute kids in it.

Stuff I watched recently (i.e. today, haven't been watching anything could be considered as a film or short for 60 days):

Strange Days (1995) -
(lots of swearing/dirty words, sex and cheap violence, reminds me of a post 80's movie style)
Kill me Baby OVA (2013) -
A new comedy classic, one of the greatest animated comedies ever made IMO. I think I might be the only person in the world that re-watched it, even the creators made it in like two weeks of so.
The Sandman (1991) -
Can be considered scary but from my "tired" perspective it was a bit bored.

In Polanski's version of Macbeth, Ross is an unmitigated knave.

Audrey Rose (Robert Wise, 1977)

Macbeth (Roman Polanski, 1971)