The Suggestions Thread

Tools    

Nope, no date...but in general, I want it done sometime in late October/early November, if I can help it. I want to see "Harry Potter" with the new site up and running...but I don't want to be too precise here. I want to keep you all wondering.

Instead of Instant Messages can we send each other OWLs?

Hello all,
Please don't make us all put our e-mail in. I just want to come and see what's up & go on my way. If people want to put their address in they can, and if other people don't want to ... you get the idea. & I like it that you can use the smile thingies and the wierd-note thingies, but don't have to. Just optional -ok?
But I think your site is very nice & interesting & forgiving & all. So don't make it too different.
Love to all, especially the Commish!
Jozie

Jozie: I will not force anyone to display their email. Your email address will DEFINITELY be required for registration, but, as is the case now, you'll have the option to keep it from the other forum members if you like. Don't forget, though: you can have it setup so that people can email you through this site without you having to reveal your address...so there really isn't any risk of spam or serious harrassment.

Most such things will be optional...the new Messaging system will help anyway...I for one will have my options set in such a way that I get an email notification when someone sends me a message. The message system is very handy.

Yay, Jozie likes me. Woohoo. That's 1 and counting! It would be higher, but PLite hating me counts as -12.

no no I like you 2x, so it's only 6!
xxx
j

Originally posted by TWTCommish
Yay, Jozie likes me. Woohoo. That's 1 and counting! It would be higher, but PLite hating me counts as -12.
I kinda like ya too, ya hard nosed little dictator

when will all the new stuff be ready?
and i like you too commish!

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally posted by Kielle
when will all the new stuff be ready?
and i like you too commish!
Originally posted by TWTCommish
Nope, no date...but in general, I want it done sometime in late October/early November, if I can help it. I want to see "Harry Potter" with the new site up and running...but I don't want to be too precise here. I want to keep you all wondering.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Now With Moveable Parts
spdrcr-you are the best.keep up the good work. You help TWT's job that much easier.

Just a weird idea. Not a request just throwing out stuff. What if instead of giving people points for posting you give the members ratings and give people points for each time they visit the site? Like everytime they load the homepage their number of visits increments. Slap a banner on the front page that pays per view and after someone becomes an anti-squittle at 1000 they get a free mug or something? It won't keep people from reloading the front page over and over again, but maybe your stats/administration stuff will tell you when someone is doing that and you can tell them to stop. Just thinking.

Interesting. What do you think about something different, involving members rating other members, or rating individual members' posts? I do like the idea of having "points" you can earn in some way other than just posting...for sure. Simply visting might work...but it would have to be counted only once a day, or something like that. SitePointForums.com is trying to implement a system like this, wherein people can buy certain things with their "SitePoints." It hasn't been officially started yet, so I dunno how well the idea will play for them...but please do elaborate a bit on what you're picturing.

Ok, I was wondering about this while I was at work last night. Have you thought about making an ad thing that will invite people to come here?? What I was thinking is something that I can print off where people that have access to a computer and want to find out about movies can come here and look around. I just wanted to ask about this, cause I would display this at my video store.

You mean some sort of banner or graphic you could print out to post in a video rental place? Damn, that'd be cool! The only problem, though, is that anything printed out is likely to look a bit off, and it wouldn't be that big. I'm open to ideas, however...

...I've never given advertising TOO much thought, overall, so I'm sort of unprepared for such things. I submitted the site to Yahoo!, was lucky enough to get a great listing, was fortunate enough to have the owner of FilmBug.com link to MoFo for awhile, and traded links with a few places. I'd say Yahoo!, Google, and word of mouth account for virtually all growth here.

But hey, if the new site sparks wonderment from all of you, but doesn't increase traffic, then I'll know that I have a great product in tight release...IE: a local burger shop that everyone in the little town thinks is great, deciding that if they all love it, they should expand. So, I guess I'm still in the building phase. While changes and improvements will always be on the horizon, I envision this all being highly similar to what it will be when "Project MoFo" is unveiled. In short: once that site opens, I'll consider the bulk of the site done, with only maintenance and tweaking required, save for the bi-annual feature additions added out of sheer boredom.

After the building, will likely come the promotion. I'm not as good with that, but I'll do what I can.

Anyway, to get back to your original question: yeah, that sounds like a good idea, although I'm not quite sure about how to go about it.

Ok, well I would do it, but I want you to have say over what is good and all, so I will just wait it out, and I suggest that you make this an open invitation for anybody to make a banner of sorts that would take up one regular size piece of printer paper that would advertise this site.

My ex-wife's new husband is in the banner business (well, his family owns one of those sign shops that makes banners, but it's in Amarillo).

But I already brought a person to MovieForums (The Great John C. Hogwood, star of stage and screen), so I think I met my quota. (And I don't have any place that I could put a banner, though at one point I thought it would be cool if the Patrick character wore a MovieForums.com t-shirt in all his scenes. But I didn't end up getting one made up).

Yeah make a shirt on the front is says something to the chord of...Film Happens and on the back it simply says MovieForums.com

Yes, 'twould have been cizool. Speaking of which, I desperately want to have some custom MovieForums t-shirts made up, but no place online (like CafePress, etc) offers black custom t-shirts...all white and gray, with a few other colors available...no black, though, or even dark gray. Dagnabbit. Hopefully I'll be able to find one, because the new logo would look pretty good on a black t-shirt.

I definitely wanna buy some of you guys MoFo t-shirts. Definitely wanna grab one for myself, too...I'd never take it off.