Your Favourite Beatles Song!!!

Tools    

Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
I Am The Walrus is fantastic, but Oasis do a much better version of it. It is the only Beatles cover that I think outdoes the original.
I thought you never used drugs Silver.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Yeah, Joe Cocker! Of course. The maddog Englishman himself!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I must become Caligari..!
HELP
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

I am having a nervous breakdance
Wow! Cool to see so many replies!

Silver, I think Lennon was by far the best songwriter of the four of them, McCartney the best musician and Harrison the most overlooked member. Ringo, well, he's Ringo! But always when I think of like the ten best Beatles songs the top five or six are always Lennon songs. To me it feels like he was the one who put the most of his own soul and heart into his songs.

I think my favourite Beatles album is Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. I saw this documentary about the making of the album and was completely blown away by the creativity and geniality of the band plus George Martin, the producer. Being a musician (well, sort of) I know a little bit about music recording and considering the fact that they had only four channels at their disposal, it's unbelievable that they could create what they created during those sessions. Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields were also taped at that time, and Strawberry... is a chapter of its own when it comes to recording technique so I wont bore you with it anymore right now.

My favourite McCartney song is probably Blackbird or Hey Jude and my favourite Harrison song is Something.

Growing up in a home with a Beatles-hating father ("THAT'S NOT ROCK'N'ROLL!! ELVIS, BOY!! NOW, THAT'S ROCK'N'ROLL!!!") we only had one Beatles-album, With The Beatles, so that one is very special to me as well. Dad also had the Twist And Shout and Long Tall Sally EP's, so that along with Elvis, Elvis and some more Elvis was what I was fed as a little boy.

By the way, if Jealous Guy was a Beatles song and not a Lennon solo song, that one would probably be a very strong candidate for number 1. He's supposed to have written it for Paul.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
("THAT'S NOT ROCK'N'ROLL!! ELVIS, BOY!! NOW, THAT'S ROCK'N'ROLL!!!")

Plus a lady fan of PimpDaShizzle V2.0 and Most importantly JRS

I See You When You're Sleeping
Originally posted by The Silver Bullet

I Am The Walrus is fantastic, but Oasis do a much better version of it. It is the only Beatles cover that I think outdoes the original.
I really liked that cover in the 'way day' of oasis but it just doesn't cut with the original.

My favourite beatles album is 'revolver' which has one of the best tracks ever - 'Tomorrow never knows'.

My favourite beatle was Lennon. From reading all the books on John, he appeared to be a bit of a *****. I never really liked George that much. I disliked his solo career in which i can only say 'my sweet lord' was part of, for me. I've just bought Paul's latest tour album and it's great with fantastic renditions of 'blackbird' and even 'something'. Ringo was fun.

I love the beatles but as i live in Liverpool, it does your head in to hear about them EVERY day. I go to the cavern pub and club every weekend so it's no novelty

I am having a nervous breakdance
Tomorrow Never Knows is indeed one of the best Beatles songs ever. It's so ahead of its time.

I was at a club once and they played it and one of my (uneducated) friends said "What's this??"."It's Beatles, you idiot!" ; I said. She couldn't believe it when I said it's from 1966 and I don't blame her. It could just as well have been The Chemical Brothers 30 years later.

Revolver also includes I'm Only Sleeping, antother one of my favourites. And a Lennon-track of course.

Interesting sidenote, apparently Pink FLoyd and The Beatles recored Dark Side of the Moon and Sgt. Pepper's respectively in the same area and ran into each other a few times. Both have admitted to being influenced by the other. It could be just a rumour, but it doesn't sound like terribly unbelievable.

Well, since The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band was recorded in the Spring of 1967, and Pink Floyd recorded Dark Side of the Moon in 1973, I'd call it indeed totally unbelieveable. Horsesh!t would be an even more succinct way to sum it up.

Floyd did indeed record at the Abbey Road studios, but Sgt. Pepper's and Dark Side were years apart. YEARS. The album Floyd was recording at roughly the same time as Pepper's was The Gates of Dawn. And yes, members of both bands would visit the other's studios (though apparently nobody ever sat in and recorded anything on the other's sessions).

Now, McCartney & Wings were recording their Red Rose Speedway at the same time Floyd was doing Dark Side of the Moon in '73. So, somehow these four albums must have gotten scrambled in the "rumor" you heard.

But now it's all clear, yes?

Yes, I don't pay attention to release dates, obviously, and didn't bother checking up on that rumour. Oh well, it was kinda a cool pipe dream.

The Gates of Dawn isn't the full name is it? Isn't it The Piper at the Gates of Dawn? Or The Piper and the Gates of Dawn? I should probably do this research on my own...

Alan Parson's produced Dark Side of the Moon, hence it's totally unique sound.

Originally posted by Henry The Kid

I saw her on Conan. I'm afraid I don't "get" her or her art. Ah well.
I’m happy to know someone else thinks that… My dad used to play one of her “songs” to make his dog howl...

Originally posted by Piddzilla
Growing up in a home with a Beatles-hating father ("THAT'S NOT ROCK'N'ROLL!! ELVIS, BOY!! NOW, THAT'S ROCK'N'ROLL!!!") we only had one Beatles-album, With The Beatles, so that one is very special to me as well. Dad also had the Twist And Shout and Long Tall Sally EP's, so that along with Elvis, Elvis and some more Elvis was what I was fed as a little boy.
Ah… my dad was the exact opposite. He was/is a huge Beatles fan and has all kinds of Beatles memorabilia including all the albums and four Beatle dolls he conned out of his sister… Ringo's is hilarious...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Put me in your pocket...
Just thought I'd share a funny moment...

My daughter and her friend were talking about music...and dancing...and "the oldies"...and started lumping The Beatles with Disco music and John Travolta. I tried to correct them...but to the young snips...any music that isn't current is just.......old.

I have my work cut out for me...

I got for good luck my black tooth.
*sigh* someday I will try to figure this out....

i hate to chose...but id say: Michelle (so sweet!) , and also Hey Jude

As of now: 'Lovely Rita' (Sgt. Pepper's), 'Glass Onion', 'Happiness Is A Warm Gun' (The White Album), 'You Won't See Me', 'Norwegian Wood' (Rubber Soul) and 'Something' (Abbey Road).

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Time to acknowledge a few underrated songs from The Beatles' cannon that I have fallen in love with but have not seen mentioned.

"Long, Long, Long"(The White Album)

This song cradles you softly with it's sweet sincere melody and then makes you want to pump your fist when Ringo kicks in on the drums and the emotion swells. The lyrics are simple as in so many beatles songs which makes them so powerful and universal with themes like love and loss and hope for redemption that most everyone has dealt with. The guitar part is minimal but perfect and highly memorable and the melody of both the vocals and the organ are haunting and beautiful. All of these elements when added together, leave you with a song that stays with you long (no pun intended) after you hear it. It's just a shame it is a bit marred by the "experimental" noise at the end that contrasts it's beauty in an almost painfully awkward way. I think this one may be overlooked because it's not a real attenion grabber, and it takes a few listens to get the full impact, so the next time you listen to The White Album give it the attention and respect it deserves and maybe you will love it like I do.

I said I was going to talk about a few songs but I had planned on only writing a sentence or two and now I'm out of steam, especially since I spent my afternoon writing for a History assignment so I think I'll make this a series to be continued....