Movies that you generally hated but others believe they are great

Tools    

Mrs. BDT to y'all
Originally Posted by TylerDurden
It was very strange but many people I know hated 21 Grams. Now these people are not what I would call die hard movie fans but the movie had a strong emotional attraction. And the characters rocked. Sean Penn should have won the Academy Award this role instead of Mystic River. Strange what people like and dislike especially when it comes to films.
I totally agree. i just think that people who hated 21 grams, obviously have no heart! I think also some people who were not big fans of the movies probably just didnt get the meaning of it and were confused by the fact that the scenes were non-chronological

Considering Jaws was made way back in the 70's for it's time; that movie was amazing and I don't remember it getting an enormous of amount of attention or even television advertisement. It was a movie that had a very direct impact on me and the beach. For a long time I stayed out of the waters, this of course was in Florida at the time when the movie just had come out. It was a media sensation as other movies that was just massed marketed and for it's time the movie gave a really realistic feeling. I would say that there today is a more massive attempt in luring you to the theatres only to be disapointed. Most films do not appear what the trailers have given you and other trailers basically give you the whole film in two minutes. Another film I loved was Spitfire Grill, it was never marketted and neither Intersection with Richard Gere. Another example most westerns were not given massive conglormerate attention and are the classics of today.

Originally Posted by CrazyforMovies
Considering Jaws was made way back in the 70's for it's time; that movie was amazing and I don't remember it getting an enormous of amount of attention or even television advertisement.
Are you kidding, or insane? Jaws, released in 1975, very quickly became the biggest boxoffice success in the history of film. It's reign was relatively short in that Star Wars passed it a couple years later, but Jaws is often credited as the first modern blockbuster, and made $100-million dollars faster than any other film ever made until that time (beating out The Godfather). And this was back in the day when an evening ticket price was around $3 a pop, not $9 or $10. Even given the difference in the industry and the massive swing in admission, Jaws is still in the top forty of all-time boxoffice.

So yeah, you're going way out on a limb to say you liked this obscure little movie nobody has much heard of or liked.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Are you kidding, or insane? Jaws, released in 1975, very quickly became the biggest boxoffice success in the history of film. It's reign was relatively short in that Star Wars passed it a couple years later, but Jaws is often credited as the first modern blockbuster, and made $100-million dollars faster than any other film ever made until that time (beating out The Godfather). And this was back in the day when an evening ticket price was around $3 a pop, not $9 or $10. Even given the difference in the industry and the massive swing in admission, Jaws is still in the top forty of all-time boxoffice.

So yeah, you're going way out on a limb to say you liked this obscure little movie nobody has much heard of or liked.

I think you misread my post, I liked Jaws, I just don't remember the trailers at the time. I was young. I am not saying I hate Jaws, I know it was a best seller. I don't understand what you didn't understand. I don't think I made it seem like I am not like Jaws. Someone said they did not like Jaws. If I understand correctly.

Originally Posted by CrazyforMovies
I think you misread my post, .
I think you are miss reading Pikies post, now I maybe wrong also I think he was trying to make the point that JAWS was not "an abscure little movie that no one has heard of"

Bug Planet Proximus
What Holden is saying is very true.
straight out of the book 'Easy Rider & Raging Bulls'. A very informative and interesting read. I recommend it to any one interested in the greatest era of cinema and its demise by movies like Jaws and such.

Although Jaws just happens to be one of the few movies of Speilberg i really like.

jaws is great

but answering the question ive always never liked the Blair Witch Project just because i felt that the film set out to creep you out but i dont know i guess wooden sticks and piled rocks dont creep me out

A system of cells interlinked
Re: Jaws - GREAT movie. One of the classics of the 70's IMHO.

Re: Kill Bill - Mr. Tarantino had said he wanted to do a film paying homage to 70's grind house cinema, old school kung fu flicks, and other such 70s pulp that was a huge part of his childhood and a major part of his initial exposure to entertainment. I think he pulled it off pretty well, and created what he aimed to create. Also, the man can clearly frame shots, and has an eye for composition, color, and mood (The chapel scene in Part II, the burial scene).

If we wanted to pay homage to Lawrence of Arabia, or Chinatown, I would have expected a more serious film. But a guy paying homage to stuff like Shaolin Invincibles, Blow Out, and Friday Foster is going to have to inject a bit of 'hack' into his picture. This was a personal film about the stuff that inspired Tarantino to get into film. If he does it again I will have to start questioning his motives/talent, but I doubt he will.

Btw, I am not 14, and am not just in it for the Kung Fu and Katanas

Amélie

All my (girl)friends have seen this movie a gazillion times and they love it to bits! Didn't think it was that big of a deal. And I'm supposed to be the romantic dreamer of us all. (now they consider me old, cynical, and coldhearted.)

Originally Posted by Discount Angel
Amélie
I'm supposed to be the romantic dreamer of us all. (now they consider me old, cynical, and coldhearted.)
Don't cry, stay with us here at MoFo and you will never cry again.

tearing down the boarders
2 fast 2 furious.

Don't know how this thread could have gone unseen - I love hatred.

Donnie Darko - There's nothing good about the movie. Hmm, lets use a crazy rabbit suit so that people are shocked and awed, hopefully that will keep them distraced from the other stuff. Yeah, stuff, the things I felt sucked. So go back and replace stuff with "things that sucked." The movies a teen flick. One of those Run Lola Run types. Just something about those movies that makes me want to skin a cat. I think I know what it is, don't freak out, I think it's generic. You dumbass trud!, is that what you're thinking right now? It's okay, I expect it from the regulars that make generous contributions to my rep (who are slacking by the way, I got four good ones in a row). This is why I think it's generic. It just seemed Pulp Fictionious'. Lets get a story that would probably be somewhat entertaining if shot sequencially, but lets just twist it around and make it even better, LIKE THAT ONE MOVIE. Maybe they didn't say that, but it's the feeling I got. And by the way, adding twist to a simple story is very simple, and a cop-out. It looked "pretty" though - too bad DP's don't make the Social Bill.

Originally Posted by PimpDaShizzle
the regulars that make generous contributions to my rep (who are slacking by the way, I got four good ones in a row).
Well that, is a shock

i really didn't like both the Kill Bill movies, simply because I found them totally unessessary (can never spell that damn word) and the storyline to be pretty stupid.

I also never liked Gladiator... but thats probably because I think Russell Crowes an ass

Originally Posted by nebbit
Well that, is a shock
Add another good one, it's five now.

The Satchel Snatcher's on the loose
Don't know how this thread could have gone unseen - I love hatred.

Donnie Darko - There's nothing good about the movie. Hmm, lets use a crazy rabbit suit so that people are shocked and awed, hopefully that will keep them distraced from the other stuff. Yeah, stuff, the things I felt sucked. So go back and replace stuff with "things that sucked." The movies a teen flick. One of those Run Lola Run types. Just something about those movies that makes me want to skin a cat. I think I know what it is, don't freak out, I think it's generic. You dumbass trud!, is that what you're thinking right now? It's okay, I expect it from the regulars that make generous contributions to my rep (who are slacking by the way, I got four good ones in a row). This is why I think it's generic. It just seemed Pulp Fictionious'. Lets get a story that would probably be somewhat entertaining if shot sequencially, but lets just twist it around and make it even better, LIKE THAT ONE MOVIE. Maybe they didn't say that, but it's the feeling I got. And by the way, adding twist to a simple story is very simple, and a cop-out. It looked "pretty" though - too bad DP's don't make the Social Bill.
Run Lola Run and Donnie Darko are two of the best representations of film school talent anyone has seen in a long time. Those two movies have so many amazing camera tricks in them its rediculous. Both of those guys came out of film school and used all of their aquired knowledge to make extremely gorgeous movies that instantly became cult classics.

...and you think your a film critic?

I loved The Cable Guy, that sh*t was hilarious, and everyone i know hated it.

Originally Posted by TylerDurden
It was very strange but many people I know hated 21 Grams. Now these people are not what I would call die hard movie fans but the movie had a strong emotional attraction. And the characters rocked. Sean Penn should have won the Academy Award this role instead of Mystic River. Strange what people like and dislike especially when it comes to films.
21 Grams was cool as hell, the fact that it worked backwards and forwards simultaneously was insane, there aren't many movies out there that do that. Naomii Watts is amazing in everything she does. As for Mystic River, i think Eastwood is generally a boring movie director, from his mediocre sounding scores to his extremely predictable cinematography styles.

Originally Posted by FrankTheBunny420
Run Lola Run and Donnie Darko are two of the best representations of film school talent anyone has seen in a long time. Those two movies have so many amazing camera tricks in them its rediculous. Both of those guys came out of film school and used all of their aquired knowledge to make extremely gorgeous movies that instantly became cult classics.

...and you think your a film critic?
Film critic? Serious? Hell no. Critics are the lice that attach themselves to whatever it is they talk about. Reviews I like, critics I don't.

Like I said, they looke nice. And even if they are cult classics, what's your point? I could probably find a fanclub for New Kids on the Block. A following means nothing. I'll give it to them that they've got "amazing camera tricks", kind of. I don't remember anything I would call amazing in Run Lola Run. I'd say Donnie Darko was better, but it still fell into the same catagorey. It's all my opinion though.

Cable guy is f*cking hilarious. "Don't want ta' pull a hammy." I almost bought that the other day. Most of my friends like it, but then again most of my friends are drunk or stoned.

AND - that's got to be a record. A triple post. Good work.

You ready? You look ready.
Film critic? Serious? Hell no. Critics are the lice that attach themselves to whatever it is they talk about. Reviews I like, critics I don't.
Wow! You did a good job of summing yourself up there.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza