Special Features On DVD And Blu Ray Discs

MoFo Big Event Organiser...
Sorry if this thread has been done already, I had a search but couldn't find one.

I have a few mates that say they're not bothered about the Special Features on discs. They buy the box solely to watch the film.

Personally, I think that the more features a DVD (or Blu Ray) has, the better.

Commentaries, trailers, making of, behind the scenes... all add up to the worth of the DVD that I've forked my money out on.

A while back I bought Rodriguez' Predators, I noticed that the DVD didn't have any SF on it apart from a cr@ppy 'interactive comic' and I actually asked the woman at the counter if they had any expanded copies with better features on.
She looked at me like I'd just farted.

I nearly didn't buy it though due to lack of SF.

Just wondered what everyone's thoughts are: Have you ever not bought a film due to lack of SF or does it not really matter to you?

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned."

I buy movies purely for the film and I like artwork on boxes but don't are about special features. I heard a bunch of people complaining that Mulhollan drive doesn't have any but really I could care less. Never use commentary and think deleted scenes were deleted for a reason
Yeah, there's no body mutilation in it

There are those who call me...Tim.
I can't remember the last time I bothered watching the special features on any new DVD/Blu Ray purchase or rental. I guess the charm has worn off somewhat, and if I'm honest they're just not very interesting most of the time. Mostly just the usual back-slapping interviews being repeated in several different 5-6 minutes "features."

The LOTR EE documentaries and Empire of Dreams will always hold a special place in my heart though.
"When I was younger, I always wanted to be somebody. Now that I'm older, I realise I should've been more specific."

Movie Forums Insomniac
I use to enjoy the pleasure of purchasing a well put together DVD. One with a hefty amount of special features added with the movie. There were so many great releases back in the day, yet now for some unknown reason every DVD put out is a bare bones release. Except for maybe a few with a commentary and maybe that's it. Rarely now you see a DVD that's even worth buying anymore.

Now, I don't want to hear the excuse "There's Blu-ray now so they are using that for the special features" because that is a crock of crap. If DVDs were able to hold a massive amount of extras then...they sure can hold them now.

I never take it into consideration. I buy because I like the film, and if the features are good it's a nice bonus. If not, I'm not too bothered.

There are a few that I've really enjoyed, the features on the special edition of The Social Network spring to mind. Lots of them and very insightful/entertaining.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I only purchase DVD's that have stellar special features. The film itself i can watch any number of ways, for me to part with coin, the extras are what its all about.
"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo.

I buy because I like the film, and if the features are good it's a nice bonus. If not, I'm not too bothered.
^ This. I prefer reading books/articles/magazines on films I like, or finding stuff online about it. I'm not bothered about deleted scenes, alternative endings and so on, and if I really did want to see something like this it would be easy enough to find online to watch.

I never buy vanilla discs though unless it's the only type avaliable, so every film I buy rarely is without a lot of extras anyway especially as most I buy are on blu-ray now.

I'll tend to only splash out on a new release (i.e. full price) if there's that added worth that can't get elsewhere. Apocalypse Now, Repo Man, Battle Royale, Dawn of the Dead, Metropolis are some that have swung a purchase on, despite owning original DVDs. Unless I loved the movie originally, I won't buy a new disc unless it's a Limited Edition or tin case, considering their availability through streaming sites.

I used to eat up special features. I even watched all the commentaries on Fight Club back in the day.

Now I know so much about how films are made that I just don't care anymore. I watched some of the behind the scenes stuff on Captain America because I wanted to see the bits about making Chris Evans appear small, but other than that I just don't bother.

In fact, I don't really buy DVDs anymore. I'm in the process of converting all my films to digital on a portable hard drive. I also get the digital copy from any DVDs I do own for future use. I occasionally buy a Blu-ray if the film is A) worth watching in HD and/or B) really cheap. The last Blu-ray I bought was Scott Pilgrim because Best Buy had it for $10. If it's over ten bucks, forget it. If I own it on DVD it's being transferred to a digital only copy. God willing, one day I won't have all these stupid discs taking up space.

Movie Forums Insomniac
If I own it on DVD it's being transferred to a digital only copy. God willing, one day I won't have all these stupid discs taking up space.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I stopped majorly purchasing sometime ago but that's a good idea.