Donald Trump for President?

Tools    

Wow that guy at 1:50 doesn't even look like Trump. Looks like a cheap body double haha.

Tbh, nothing to do with you Nostromo, but that clip makes me laugh because earlier on another site Trump Supporters were talking about how spineless Chris Christie is and one of the reasons given was the he always brings up 9/11.

From my perspective I think that anti-Trump people have been very silly as well, constantly in denial and at every vote they've come up with a new "obstacle" or something for him to clear, "he can't do this because of this", "he won't do this because of that", "if he does this then he'll have to do that", it's been clear that Trump should get the nomination for ages now and I think the party politics look just as silly as some of what they would say Trump's supporters are, did they actually expect any of their tactics like bad publicity, that Cruz/Kasich plan etc. to work? I dunno. I feel like a lot of the talk is patronising to those who have fairly, democratically chosen him, whether you agree with them or not.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I agree.. The big difference is he says out loud what millions of voters believe inside, but won't say it, so he's probably empowering to them.

Regardless of who wins, I hope the next President does a great job.

It sounds like you're conflating two things: whether or not he "should" win in the sense of how likely it is (and I don't think any of this was remotely inevitable, even though it always seems so in retrospect), and whether or not he "should" win in the sense of whether or not he's a good candidate. The talk you're referring to has mostly been about the latter.

So let me get this right - is Trump now the Republican candidate and we just have to wait to see if it's Clinton or Sanders and it's most likely Clinton. So the President will either be Trump or Clinton for certain?

Neither is officially the nominee, but yes, at this point it's basically 99% that it's Trump or Clinton. And I'm voting third party (or write-in) for the first time in my life.

It sounds like you're conflating two things: whether or not he "should" win in the sense of how likely it is (and I don't think any of this was remotely inevitable, even though it always seems so in retrospect)
This is what I mean, okay, perhaps it wasn't guarunteed, but from the start, he never looked like losing to me. I think if it was another candidate, say one you supported, a "strong candidate", and he was performing like Trump did early on, you would never have thought he could lose. Obviously, Trump is unique and they tried to use his flaws against him, but I think that a lot of times it seemed like people were clutching at straws.

and whether or not he "should" win in the sense of whether or not he's a good candidate. The talk you're referring to has mostly been about the latter.
Yeah, that's understandable. But whether or not me and you think he's a good candidate doesn't matter much, and it was clear from the start that the majority of people who would vote for a Republican candidate saw him as a good candidate, or who they wanted to be nominated. I just think that efforts and arguments could have been better concentrated, because it's clear that no matter how good the anti-Trump arguments or ideas were, they didn't really matter much.

This is what I mean, okay, perhaps it wasn't guarunteed, but from the start, he never looked like losing to me. I think if it was another candidate, say one you supported, a "strong candidate", and he was performing like Trump did early on, you would never have thought he could lose. Obviously, Trump is unique and they tried to use his flaws against him, but I think that a lot of times it seemed like people were clutching at straws.
Right, if a candidate who didn't have crazily high unfavorables performed that well early on, they'd cruise to the nomination. But having crazily high unfavorables is a legitimate problem, so he didn't. I guess I'm not sure what's remarkable about saying "if he didn't have this huge problem he'd have won easier." Especially when his base of support wouldn't have existed if he had been more conventional in other ways.

The clutching at straws, I think, was expecting the 20th offensive thing he said to damage him when the previous 19 had not.

Yeah, that's understandable. But whether or not me and you think he's a good candidate doesn't matter much, and it was clear from the start that the majority of people who would vote for a Republican candidate saw him as a good candidate, or who they wanted to be nominated.
Not a majority, a plurality. Most voters voted for someone else, and by a significant margin. He also did disproportionately well with cross-party votes and unaffiliated voters, because a number of early primaries allowed non-Republicans to vote.

I just think that efforts and arguments could have been better concentrated, because it's clear that no matter how good the anti-Trump arguments or ideas were, they didn't really matter much.
I think that's evidence that people support Trump for reasons unrelated to the evidence. My personal interactions with Trump supporters have been consistent with this.

If this is the case, then the way to stop him would've been to not run 16 other people--and have them attack each other instead of him for months on end.

Right, if a candidate who didn't have crazily high unfavorables performed that well early on, they'd cruise to the nomination. But having crazily high unfavorables is a legitimate problem, so he didn't. I guess I'm not sure what's remarkable about saying "if he didn't have this huge problem he'd have won easier." Especially when his base of support wouldn't have existed if he had been more conventional in other ways.

The clutching at straws, I think, was expecting the 20th offensive thing he said to damage him when the previous 19 had not.

Not a majority, a plurality. Most voters voted for someone else, and by a significant margin. He also did disproportionately well with cross-party votes and unaffiliated voters, because a number of early primaries allowed non-Republicans to vote.

I think that's evidence that people support Trump for reasons unrelated to the evidence. My personal interactions with Trump supporters have been consistent with this.

If this is the case, then the way to stop him would've been to not run 16 other people--and have them attack each other instead of him for months on end.
Yeah, I think a lot of what I saw was "too little, too late", and a lot of the time the candidate's even seemed to drop out or participate in certain tactics begrudgingly, when if a better plan had been formulated and teamwork used from the start it could have been much more effective. Often arguments try and bring people to your way of thinking, what you (not personally, more in a collective sense) think is right, but when ineffective I think alternative methods could have been used. Maybe if people took him seriously, didn't attack him or make jokes, ran a positive campaign, put all resources in to positive advertising and connecting with young people, it could have worked better. In the run up to when the voting started, I had only heard of Donald Trump really from the Republicans, maybe slightly Marco Rubio because of posts on here, but in the Democrats I knew both of the candidates fairly well and both seemed fairly clear from the start, not really trying to attack each other or derail each others campaigns, but focussing on their positives.

Watched the vid That idiot ass took a statement how theres not alot of conservatives in New York, and started talking about 9/11 ??? Wth!? Then got away with it!!!!

I think Trump will end up with Gingrich as VP. Gingrich seems to be up for it, Trump says he wants an experienced politician, and nobody currently in office will do it, so that could be it.

Gingrich puts his foot in his mouth, too. He might make Trump look good.

What happened was anybody but Donald Trump became...but the alternative is Ted Cruz!

Kasich isn't responsible for what happened. Starting with New York, you add up Cruz and Kasich's votes and combined they were way under water. Cruz collapsed after Wisconsin. Had nothing to do with Kasich. Kasich was doing his usual low numbers. He didn't take anything from Cruz.

Opposition to Trump came from two wings of the Republican Party, the mainstream ones (I'm going to use that term instead of establishment) and the tea party types that didn't defect to Trump. Cruz couldn't sell himself to the mainstreamers (the voters, not the politicians) as an acceptable alternative to Trump.

I think you will see Trump get a big bump from this. I'm not saying it will be permanent, but I think at least for a while it will look like it could be a close race.

Neither is officially the nominee, but yes, at this point it's basically 99% that it's Trump or Clinton. And I'm voting third party (or write-in) for the first time in my life.
Vote Sanders

(or write-in)
Write in Vermin Supreme with Sean C

I know she isn't officially the candidate yet but does everyone think she'll pick Julian Castro as her running mate? Seem a lot of people thought this was inevitable before the election even started. I've also heard Cory Booker mentioned a few times. Also does anyone think there's a chance she'll offer Bernie it? If she somehow got Bernie aboard i personally can't see Trump doing well at all, unless a good chunk of his supporters abandon him.

Kasich isn't responsible for what happened. Starting with New York, you add up Cruz and Kasich's votes and combined they were way under water. Cruz collapsed after Wisconsin. Had nothing to do with Kasich. Kasich was doing his usual low numbers. He didn't take anything from Cruz.
Why only start with New York? Sure, by that point, the die was largely cast. The first two months of the campaign, though, he was the difference in a number of states, both for Cruz and outright victory, and for Rubio and crucial delegate thresholds on Super Tuesday (which he narrowly missed in several states), etc.

I think you will see Trump get a big bump from this. I'm not saying it will be permanent, but I think at least for a while it will look like it could be a close race.
Yup. It won't last, but for a little while people are going to tout a few data point life rafts in a sea of other polls as evidence that he could win.

Watched the vid That idiot ass took a statement how theres not alot of conservatives in New York, and started talking about 9/11 ??? Wth!? Then got away with it!!!!
I think it was his best moment of the campaign, not that it's saying much.

Not sure how it's a reply to the campaign finance stuff, though. But I'm getting pretty used to having simple, substantive questions ignored.

Gary Johnson for the win!!

Well, with Trump as president we at least will have fun watching what he does. And if he builds a massive wall maybe in a thousand years it will be remembered as The Great Wall of America, like The Great Wall of China.

Hillary is just mediocre bad, Trump is hilariously bad.

Trump will help all the racial tension in this country. The blacks love him.
They should. Trump will remove all Mexican ilegals who take out the low paying jobs from the blacks. Mexican immigration increased black unemployment rates everywhere in the US. The blacks will be the group to benefit the most from Trump since they are the ones who in the past usually did the low skilled jobs. If they are cold rational they should support him.

While the upper middle class will lose from Trump because they will have fewer cheap workers to hire as domestic servants.