Donald Trump for President?

Tools    

Just stop. It's a pattern of behavior that is absolutely absurd. I would love to have a conversation about Trump but you are unwilling to do so. At least Nostro admitted he only cares about the entertainment value. I can roll my eyes and move on from that.
like i roll my eyes when someone has Shawshank as their #1 film

oh whoops, we're talking politicians, time to get serious

*posts video, walks away*

^^^^ Whats darkly funny is when he babbles for a stretch and then somewhere in the middle of it said "We have people that dont know what theyre doing.", I almost hit the floor. Then he repeated "take out their families" over, and over again, and hes an idiot.

Also, whatever division exists on the GOP side is largely a byproduct of its success: it's been dominant in literally every area other than the Presidency. Especially at the local level. It's one of the natural checks that stops any party from retaining dominance for too long, in either party. The more people you fit into your tent, the less elbow room there is inside.

The Democrats have plenty of problems, but their lack of viable options and superdelegate-centric primary system makes them less noticeable. Looking at the massive demographic divide, though, and the similarities between Sanders and Trump on key issues, and it's going to be a real problem. You say Trumpism is going to go away after he loses, but there's no way Sanders' brand of progressivism (or something a lot like it) is.
The GOP doesn't need Trumpism to give them problems. They already have it with establishment Republicans versus the tea party ones. Sanders like Trump is also an outsider. He didn't decide he was a Democrat until he decided to run for President. And like Trump a lot of his support comes from outsiders also. He has never won a closed primary. But there is no denying he has come to represent the progressive wing of the Democratic Party in this election. But we haven't seen yet the divisions among Democrats in Congress that has erupted among Republicans.

Advice for Ted Cruz:
(I got this from the Washington Post)

Trump and his supporters are making excuses if he loses the nomination. If he is nominated and loses big, there won't be any excuses. And even if they come up with something, what will it matter? He is not going to run again and he has no apparatus in place to make changes in the party, which reflect his ideas, which basically is to return to the isolationism and tariffs of the GOP in the 1920's. Nobody but Trump and Patrick Buchanan are big on that.
I think this is another of those areas where not actually being a Republican limits your ability to judge the situation, because they're already making these excuses about the general. Some of them fairly prominent (insofar as prominent conservatives have supported Trump, that is, which isn't much).

Which is why it seems naive to suggest that this group is just going to take their defeat and fade back into the ranks of reliable GOP voters, especially when Democrats are already more sympathetic to protectionism. And if they're not going to fade back into those ranks if they're appeased with the nomination, then what exactly is the danger of alienating them? These different arguments don't really fit together.

The rest of the post doesn't really address what I said about disillusioned conservatives or broader signals to the electorate. And again, it's not surprising that someone who isn't a Republican wouldn't even think of those as factors, but they matter.

I mean, I see this whole thread as one big 'Let's talk down on Trump' thing. Part of me wants to believe you want to have a real discussion, then the other part says you're just looking to tear apart whatever i write up and looking for something to hold against me at a later date.
I've listed my problems clearly and invited you to talk about them, so I dunno how else to demonstrate I want a "real" discussion."

But a real discussion isn't mutually exclusive with trying to get you to lay down some policy markers, anyway: I've seen lots of people on other sites say they like Trump for X reason, then completely abandon that when Trump flips on it. My time is finite like yours, so I don't want to waste it arguing with anyone who's supporting someone for reasons of personality rather than principles. So I want to know if that support is conditional. I think that's a fair question.

Like i've said, i'm just a student. A college student. I think i'm pretty awesome, but i don't know everything. I don't sit around all day and gather all the political jargon to use against people.
I have no idea what the reference to "political jargon" is. But combining this with the earlier statement about time: I don't expect others to be news junkies, so I don't give them grief for paying less attention to this stuff. Like, ever. If someone says "I haven't been paying too much attention, but Trump seems interesting," I don't just lay into them. But once they've heard what he's said/done? That's another matter. At that point, it's not a question of time or jargon. It's a question of what kind of things you'll tolerate in a candidate.

Basically, i want earth to be as great as it can be. As entertaining as it can be. In 50 years i'm not going to care about Hillary Clinton or Ted Cruz or John Kasich or Bernie Sanders, but i will think back. Haha, Trump that was crazy. I remember that. It was fun. I know everyone on MoFo hates me for saying it except for Sexy and probably Gunslinger. I just want to provide a different voice here. It's all so one note
I don't know how seriously to take this, honestly. If you're literally supporting Trump because you don't like him being ganged up on here, or because you find him "entertaining," then there's not much for me to say. I think both are pretty bad reasons to defend a candidate, but I wouldn't/won't bother to argue with either much. Arguing is rough enough without having entirely different standards of consideration to begin with.

^^^^ lol! At first I thought it was gonna stupid, but it actually ended up pretty funny

I think this is another of those areas where not actually being a Republican limits your ability to judge the situation, because they're already making these excuses about the general. Some of them fairly prominent (insofar as prominent conservatives have supported Trump, that is, which isn't much).

Which is why it seems naive to suggest that this group is just going to take their defeat and fade back into the ranks of reliable GOP voters, especially when Democrats are already more sympathetic to protectionism. And if they're not going to fade back into those ranks if they're appeased with the nomination, then what exactly is the danger of alienating them? These different arguments don't really fit together.

The rest of the post doesn't really address what I said about disillusioned conservatives or broader signals to the electorate. And again, it's not surprising that someone who isn't a Republican wouldn't even think of those as factors, but they matter.

Oops, think I did it again.

Trump supporters will never join the Democratic Party because their support for Trump isn't focused on protectionism, It's intertwined with illegal immigration and they are fiercely opposed to any immigration reform that involves amnesty. Now, that is not an issue that has much division among Republicans. Most of them talk about building a wall and none of them advocate a pathway to citizenship. But most Trump supporters think the Republican Party and the other candidates pay lip service to building a wall. Trump, they're convinced means it. And he is going to ship them all back to Mexico! Find a Democrat who talks like that? So they will stay put in the GOP or stay home on election day, which means the party doesn't expand its base to keep the Trump newbies, but won't cause the party any problems, either.

Trump has gotten a few endorsement from Republicans like Chris Christie and Sarah Palin, but it seems to be based more on Trump's personal appeal than a huge commitment to his entire program, particularly when it comes to protectionism. Trump just takes a lot of things that are GOP positions and takes it a step further. All the Republican candidates were anti illegal immigration, but he is the most anti. All the GOP candidates and most of their politicians don't want those Syrian Muslim refugees in the United States. He says keep them all out, which polls very well, by the way, with all Republican voters, not just Trump supporters. That was part of the problem Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio had. By trying to be nuanced they came across as weak.

Rasmussen has Donald Trump two points over Hillary Clinton.

And Gallup tracking has Ted Cruz for the first time in negative plus territory among Republican voters. Trump and Kasich are still positive. There are also reports some of those Cruz delegates he picked up after the votes were counted are wavering.

Rasmussen has been weirdly high on Trump the entire cycle: they had the two of them tied just a week ago, and behind just 5 and 1 in their last two before that.

Of the last 13 major organizations to release a Trump/Clinton poll, 11 of them have Clinton up 7 or more, and half have her up double digits. The outliers, of course, get a lot more attention, but it never makes sense to take these numbers seriously until they start moving the aggregate.