Film Noir HoF - Part 2

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I just looked online at Wallmart and they have a DVD/VCR combo for $89.

If you want to record on DVDs, make sure that it's a DVD-R, not just a player.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
A new member that like Noirs? That's some good news!! We need more Noir lovers and less Marvel fanboys! (kidding, kidding)

I have to return some videotapes...
I don't really watch many noir's so out of this list which one do you think I should watch first to get a feel for the genre?

I don't really watch many noir's so out of this list which one do you think I should watch first to get a feel for the genre?
Maltese Falcon

Peculia Pelican. No offense but sounds like someone that won't finish watching these.
No I'm looking forward to watching more from this era. I personally love older film and also Hitchcock so I'm looking forward to most of these.

Saw three of these. The Maltese Falcon is one of my favourite movies, top 20 probably and my second favourite Noir after The Third Man i think. Night of the Hunter was very good, will be considered for my 50's list. Touch of Evil was good but a slight diappointment for me and my least favourite from the five Welles films i've seen.

Peculia Pelican. No offense but sounds like someone that won't finish watching these.
I had a couple of long conversations by PM with Pelican and he says he fully understands the commitment and will watch all of the nominations and participant in the discussion. I'm looking forward to having new members join the Hof

I will say this for everyone: if anyone feels like there's too many films to watch, Please tell us as soon as possible that you can't do it and need to drop out....Don't be dropping out at a late date as that means a lot of people would have already wasted time watching the dropouts films.

Any one who drops out is disqualified and their film is removed from the Hof.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	image091.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	26168  

Just wondering are we supposed to wait to post thoughts on a film or is it just kind of discuss whenever you feel like it?

Just wondering are we supposed to wait to post thoughts on a film or is it just kind of discuss whenever you feel like it?
Whenever you feel like it. Most of us post after watching.

I should have said in the first post that we had not started yet and we will start on Friday 8th or Saturday 9th.

It's OK to watch the movies if you have the time, but let's not post any reviews until the Official Start, thanks.

Already have watched two of these and I ordered two others on Blu-ray this afternoon. So I am looking forward to getting the conversations started. Noir has to be my favorite genre at this point.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
For those of you who have started watching these movies already, please leave The Big Clock (1948) for last. I'm still having power problems here, so I'm not officially in this HoF yet.

Well in that case...

The Maltese Falcon

Really enjoyed Bogart in this film and most of the other performances, honestly it was just a good movie. I thought Wilmer who is played by Elisha Cook was a little much at times and was too heavy handed in his delivery. I thought at first it was going in the way of 39 steps, where a man, in this case a detective is roped into some kind spy/sabotage plot and in a way it kind of went into that field, but not entirely. I think it's interesting when I was watching this is that Bogart commands the room when he is present, it's hard not to focus on him because he is so dialed in to what's happening in the moment, it's incredible. Another thing I found surprising is Huston's ability to wrap the whole film up in the end, they built up a lot of different story moments that weren't explained until the last 20 minutes; it was a lot of exposition and I found it to be kind of cheap way, but till effective. It's a pretty solid script as where everybody has their own intricacies, but they still all have a unique voice. One thing that bothered me was the editing and I know it was different back then, but it kind of bothered me and I found it to be jarring between certain scenes. Overall, it was entertaining and it kept my attention and the last line of the film is a perfect ending.

I would give it a