Are you a Narcissist?

Tools    

I end up delving into how these things work: for instance, a question that probably effects the score for vanity is the one about looking in the mirror.

The common concept is probably that people who spend a lot of time looking in the mirror are more vane. But the opposite could be just as true - people with a "Body Dysmorphic Disorder" spend a lot of time looking in the mirror, but not because they like what they see, but because they don't.

I don't have a dysmorphic disorder (as far as I know), but I feel like I look in the mirror a lot, but not because I like the reflection - it's more like I'm looking for flaws, or wondering why there are cowlicks in my hair, or upset that I still have acne, or observing how my weight gain has changed me from how I used to look, or wondering how bad my double chin looks to others & what to do about it, or wondering why I have broken blood vessels, etc.

Being somewhat narcissistic is a good thing. Many celebrities and most politicians have a far amount of narcissism. It's kind of a buzz word that's been misused. The opposite of narcissism is...well I'm not sure what is it? But it wouldn't be healthy to be the antithesis of it.

Looking at what I just wrote - I see that an argument could be made that "vanity" could apply whether the opinion about the reflection is positive or negative. Or whether the motivation for looking is for adoration or self-incrimination.

Either way, you may be looking a lot because you're in love with the reflection (like the classic "Narcissus") or you're obsessing about how you look, about your flaws or how you appear to others which could be interpreted as another form of vanity.

I'll take this test if you do SC, you first.
You started this thread. You found the test. You have to take it.

Being somewhat narcissistic is a good thing. Many celebrities and most politicians have a far amount of narcissism. It's kind of a buzz word that's been misused. The opposite of narcissism is...well I'm not sure what is it? But it wouldn't be healthy to be the antithesis of it.
Low self-esteem or an inferiority complex.
As with everything, the key is balance. Extremes in either direction become unhealthy.

I lean toward modesty, quiet confidence and humility.

But I find I'm majorly turned off by others who display arrogance or attention seeking: braggarts, show offs, those who flaunt their wealth, those who are flamboyant, know-it-alls, those who feel they don't need to listen to anyone else, anyone who feels they have the right to order others about, who feel they're in a position to manipulate others, or who feel entitled to an unwarranted degree of attention or respect without earning it.