Documentaries...the next Countdown List?

Tools    

The Documentary List?
59.65%
34 votes
Yes, I plan on joining.
17.54%
10 votes
No, I do not want to join.
22.81%
13 votes
I'm not sure.
57 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I'd say Burn's Civil War counts as one, otherwise not much chance of an individual installment making the countdown.
Oh, no. I never considered an individual episode making the countdown. I am not that stupid. But as it was a series and not a "straight through" story (as in, could sit and watch it in a matter of two hours or so - as an example), I was curious to know if it would count even though it was "broken up". That's all.

Without TV docs, like Burn's Civil War being allowed, the amount of interest in the countdown would go down. So I think TV docs are a good idea. I personally like documentaries, but I don't know how excited all MoFos are about them?
You added this on while I was writing the other one!

There are actually a few TV docs that popped into my mind as soon as I'd heard about this that I really like. That is why I was hoping they could be represented, too.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
1st question...Depends on the person who runs the countdown, they will be the boss and decide.
Speaking of, who is going to run it?
Totally unrelated but is everyone OK with me starting up the 50s thread late December? Then six months to watch with a start time of late June/early July.
If that's going to start in December, they should start the Docs pretty soon.
Oh, no. I never considered an individual episode making the countdown. I am not that stupid. But as it was a series and not a "straight through" story (as in, could sit and watch it in a matter of two hours or so - as an example), I was curious to know if it would count even though it was "broken up". That's all.
I think it defiantly should, because one of my favorite docs Planet Earth was originally a miniseries, and that should be included

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Yes, cricket, we're talking about the Up series on Ebert's List. If documentary mini-series count, go ahead and vote for your faves if you want, but I don't recommend anybody watch them for this list - for example, you can watch seven other documentaries in the time it takes to watch "The Civil War".

Traditionally, site traffic goes down after the summer since many members are busy at school. Finally, I get the feeling people are approaching this list with an attitude that people either don't want it or don't like it. I'll come up with my own list of recommendations, but there are a lot of recommendations out there in internetland already. Happy watching!

I'm looking forward to putting together a list. Shouldn't have much trouble thinking of 25 and I'm not even that into documentaries.

I'm for allowing standalone tv documentaries or miniseries. If people want to vote on a 9-hour tv miniseries I don't have a problem with it, though personally I'd try to narrow it down. I'll probably be voting for one episode of a 6-part Frontline series.

If no one else is willing, I would volunteer, but if anyone else wants to, go ahead.
We don't have to rush on starting this. But whoever runs it really needs to be committed to it. Once a person starts it they have to be willing to work hard and to work on it every day. Daniel had to make post daily including graphics, all which take time an effort and he did that for 2 months! Not to mention all the hard work he put in for months before that.

Whoever runs the Docs Countdown has a big responsibility.

... I do agree that it would be good to keep up the unwritten rule of a different host for each countdown. But yeah, be prepared to put in a lot of hard work whoever does it, you have to make sure you're online for everyday for a couple of months at least...

Woody Allen is a pedophille
We don't have to rush on starting this. But whoever runs it really needs to be committed to it. Once a person starts it they have to be willing to work hard and to work on it every day. Daniel had to make post daily including graphics, all which take time an effort and he did that for 2 months! Not to mention all the hard work he put in for months before that.

Whoever runs the Docs Countdown has a big responsibility.
Yeah I'm screwed when it comes to graphics, so forget what I said

If documentary mini-series count, go ahead and vote for your faves if you want, but I don't recommend anybody watch them for this list - for example, you can watch seven other documentaries in the time it takes to watch "The Civil War".
I wouldn't recommend it to anyone just based on the subject matter alone. Unless I think someone has a slight interest in the American Civil War, I would never tell anyone to watch it.

But as for how long it is, I have seen it a total of 5 times in my life (and one of those times was watching the DVD's that I own). And I will be watching it again in September (PBS is going to re-run the series starting on September 7th - it will be remastered in HD). Basically, I could watch that and the "seven other documentaries" out there that I might have an interest in.

For me, it would be doable.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Discuss here:

Documentaries seems to be the forerunner for the next Top Countdown list, but how much interest is there in docs?

Is there enough interest to make a successful Documentaries Top 100 Countdown?

Should it be a Top 50 Countdown with partial nomination list acceptable?

Thoughts? Ideas?...Post them...
Really like this idea, if for nothing else it will be a ratings guide telling me what documentaries to buy. Also as I get older I find myself more and more interested in docs.

One of the problems might be that many people haven't seen some of the docs that deserve to get voted for, as docs don't get the attention of films or TV series.

There might have to be a long period of us all recommending documentaries to each other before list making even starts.

Yeah I'm screwed when it comes to graphics, so forget what I said
I mentioned my reasons why I would vote against you running it in the 60s thread (didn't see this one) but if you're still active in a year you definitely have my vote to run whatever comes after the 50s list.

The kid's got spirit!

But that said, someone volunteer. It's so easy with Daniel's magical spreadsheet and you get lots of rep points. Plus you get to see the results before anyone and you can sell the top 10 ahead of time to desperate and impatient people.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Ah documentaries. Movies version of books!

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I've always liked the idea of hosting a countdown, but I'm not consistent enough, I come in waves usually. Daniel managed to both do an awesome job with the list and watch great movies at the same time which is more than I'd be able to keep up with currently. If we care about the graphics I think Nostromo's a good bet if he can be on consistently enough. Other than that we have Raul and Seanc who are always consistent.