All about the upcoming Live Action Musical Hall of Fame

Tools    

So new ideas:

1) I'm going to list the movie nominations chronologically and suggest that we watch them in that order...It's a good way to get the feel of musical films evolution from the 'talkie days' to more modern times. Plus if some of us watch the same film at around the same time, maybe we can have some rip-roaring fun conversations!
But it's optional and you guys can watch them in any order you want.

2) Not really a new idea, but an old one that I haven't done before. Along with your nomination you will PM me a brief write up on why you chose the film, or why you like it. Just a simple paragraph, not a review. Then when I make the actual thread I will include that under the movie poster. It lets others see why you are excited about your film and hopefully get them excitied about watching it.

I might have another idea or two...

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Yeah, that was my point, too. Well, hopefully there's not a bunch of foreign gore musicals out there.
That sounds like a challenge... Can't think of anything that ticks both those boxes off the top of my head, but I could always nominate Repo!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Yeah, that was my point, too. Well, hopefully there's not a bunch of foreign gore musicals out there.
That sounds like a challenge... Can't think of anything that ticks both those boxes off the top of my head, but I could always nominate Repo!

Think of it as a request for what not to nominate. (Although Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007) would be okay.)

So new ideas:

1) I'm going to list the movie nominations chronologically and suggest that we watch them in that order...It's a good way to get the feel of musical films evolution from the 'talkie days' to more modern times. Plus if some of us watch the same film at around the same time, maybe we can have some rip-roaring fun conversations!
But it's optional and you guys can watch them in any order you want.

2) Not really a new idea, but an old one that I haven't done before. Along with your nomination you will PM me a brief write up on why you chose the film, or why you like it. Just a simple paragraph, not a review. Then when I make the actual thread I will include that under the movie poster. It lets others see why you are excited about your film and hopefully get them excitied about watching it.

I might have another idea or two...

Two great ideas.

It would be nice if we could all watch the movies in sync so we're all on the same page for a change.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Ahha! My plan worked!
Then you must be an evil genius.

For me, the whole point of these HoFs is not only to get other people to watch a movie that I love, but also to watch movies that I wouldn't have chosen to watch on my own. If I bailed every time someone nominated a movie that I didn't think I'd like, I probably wouldn't finish any of these HoFs.
I already plan on thinking at least once "Oh, God, not that movie!!". I know there will be one that will make me feel as though I am "gumming" my way through something as horrible as bratwurst. But I WILL watch it no matter what as I have committed myself to it now.

So...how much time do you guys need to decide on your nominations? No rush. I just want to know when I should be making the actual Musical HOF thread.
I am down to a top 3. So, if it was all of a sudden needed - my decision - I think I could make it.

Think of it as a request for what not to nominate. (Although Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007) would be okay.)
That is exactly what I thought when I read that.

As for movies where there is music in it, but isn't necessarily a musical (i.e. Eddie and the Cruisers), that could be a whole separate HoF when you think about it. There are plenty of movies out there where music is a central part of it (as in the fact that they are based around music), but they aren't what people would consider a "traditional" musical. I have 5 movies in my head right now that would be in that category.

I really hope so too. I seem to watch my movies a month after everyone else and then miss out in the discussion. I'd like to see some fun conversation.
As for movies where there is music in it, but isn't necessarily a musical (i.e. Eddie and the Cruisers), that could be a whole separate HoF when you think about it. There are plenty of movies out there where music is a central part of it (as in the fact that they are based around music), but they aren't what people would consider a "traditional" musical...
Absoultely agree! I would love to see an Hof in the future like that. You know I never have seen Eddie and the Cruisers.

I am down to a top 3. So, if it was all of a sudden needed - my decision - I think I could make it.
You're better than me. I just counted my list, and I've got it narrowed down to 12. But I'm sure that I could make a spur of the moment decision if I had to, especially if everyone else lists their nominations first to narrow down my list.

As for movies where there is music in it, but isn't necessarily a musical (i.e. Eddie and the Cruisers), that could be a whole separate HoF when you think about it. There are plenty of movies out there where music is a central part of it (as in the fact that they are based around music), but they aren't what people would consider a "traditional" musical. I have 5 movies in my head right now that would be in that category.
This is a good idea. It lets us nominate the musicals that weren't eligible in this one.

I'd also like to have an Animated Musical Movies HoF. There are plenty of Disney, and non-Disney animated musicals that are terrific.

Did that movie have the song On the Dark Side?

I just asked Mrs Rules what I should nominate and she named off some of the greats. Showboat, Oklahoma, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Music Man....But none of those are on my short list. I hope some of the greats get nominated by someone.

Did that movie have the song On the Dark Side?
Yes, "On the Dark Side" is from Eddie and the Cruisers.

I just asked Mrs Rules what I should nominate and she named off some of the greats. Showboat, Oklahoma, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Music Man....But none of those are on my short list. I hope some of the greats get nominated by someone.
Oklahoma! and The Music Man are both still on my short list.

I'm probably going to end up nominating Damn Yankees!, but I'm not completely settled on that yet.

Damn Yankees! Good one! I seen it only once but I really liked the movie. It's a fun story too. Why do I think Ethel Merman when I see the movie poster?

I usually listen to Mrs Rules, but I've have my film picked so I'm not choosing any of those.

Damn Yankees! Good one! I seen it only once but I really liked the movie. It's a fun story too. Why do I think Ethel Merman when I see the movie poster?

Maybe because the poses look similar?

Gwen Verdon in Damn Yankees!

Ethel Merman in Annie Get Your Gun:

And this is Betty Hutton in Annie Get Your Gun

I usually listen to Mrs Rules, but I've have my film picked so I'm not choosing any of those.
So what's on your short list?

I'd also like to have an Animated Musical Movies HoF. There are plenty of Disney, and non-Disney animated musicals that are terrific.
There is that animated one that is going to happen, right? I thought I read that somewhere (maybe in here - I don't know! ). Anyway, I kind of think that maybe musical animation should be separated from other animation. But would that be getting too specific now?

Alright. To hell with it! I see the title floating around now. I might as well just nominate it so that I don't have the same thing happen to me twice. I will nominate "The Music Man". There! It is done.

I will keep the other two movies choices to myself, though, in case we have another one of these and maybe I will use one of them then.

She does look like Ethel Merman, but much hotter On the other hand Merman can belt out the songs.

I've seen Betty Hutton in Annie Get Your Gun. I was surprised at just how much I liked her in that role as she was mainly a comedian. I'm sure you know this, Judy Garland started filming the movie but had too many alcohol/pill problems and was replaced with Betty Hutton.

There is that animated one that is going to happen, right? I thought I read that somewhere (maybe in here - I don't know! ). Anyway, I kind of think that maybe musical animation should be separated from other animation.
I think so too.

Alright. To hell with it! I see the title floating around now. I might as well just nominate it so that I don't have the same thing happen to me twice. I will nominate "The Music Man". There! It is done.
Yah, we got another one! I predict that will score high.

There is that animated one that is going to happen, right? I thought I read that somewhere (maybe in here - I don't know! ). Anyway, I kind of think that maybe musical animation should be separated from other animation. But would that be getting too specific now?
I'd like to see them separated. I think the musical animated movies might get lost in the shuffle with non-musical animated movies. There are enough movies in both categories to have separate HoFs.

I will keep the other two movies choices to myself, though, in case we have another one of these and maybe I will use one of them then.
Great choice. The Music Man is one of my favorites, and it was on my short list. Robert Preston was born to play Professor Harold Hill.

She does look like Ethel Merman, but much hotter On the other hand Merman can belt out the songs.

I've seen Betty Hutton in Annie Get Your Gun. I was surprised at just how much I liked her in that role as she was mainly a comedian. I'm sure you know this, Judy Garland started filming the movie but had too many alcohol/pill problems and was replaced with Betty Hutton.

Yes, there are some deleted scenes with Judy Garland on the DVD.

While it might have been great with Judy Garland too, I love Betty Hutton in Annie Get Your Gun, and I'm not upset about the casting change at all.

Yah, we got another one! I predict that will score high.
I certainly hope so! Now I just have to get around to writing why I chose it.

I'd like to see them separated. I think the musical animated movies might get lost in the shuffle with non-musical animated movies. There are enough movies in both categories to have separate HoFs.
Well, maybe that is another HoF to consider with the music-based movies.

Great choice. The Music Man is one of my favorites, and it was on my short list. Robert Preston was born to play Professor Harold Hill.
Truthfully, considering "1776", Robert Preston's portrayal of Harold Hill is the only other performance that is on the same level as William Daniels in the history of musicals. For me, they are just too good with their performances.

Truthfully, considering "1776", Robert Preston's portrayal of Harold Hill is the only other performance that is on the same level as William Daniels in the history of musicals. For me, they are just too good with their performances.

I think the only other performance that's on par with those is James Cagney in Yankee Doodle Dandy.

I think the only other performance that's on par with those is James Cagney in Yankee Doodle Dandy.
Yeah, I suppose you're right. There are some good performances in musicals, but there are very few that command the screen like those guys do. At least I don't think so.