All about the upcoming Live Action Musical Hall of Fame

Tools    

This might help explain to everyone what will qualify as a musical for this Hall of Fame, Hof.

From an Wiki article:

"The musical film is a film genre in which songs sung by the characters are interwoven into the narrative, sometimes accompanied by dancing.

The songs usually advance the plot or develop the film's characters, though in some cases they serve merely as breaks in the storyline, often as elaborate "production numbers..."

Does that help explain?

Hi Captain, I've never heard of it. It sounds interesting. It says it's a "The film version of the Broadway musical comedy of the same name." so that sounds like a musical to me.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Hi Captain, I've never heard of it. It sounds interesting. It says it's a "The film version of the Broadway musical comedy of the same name." so that sounds like a musical to me.

You've never heard of the musical 1776? It's about the signing of the Declaration of Independence, and it's great. You should definitely see it.

My favorite song is "But Mr. Adams".

Umm, yah I never heard of it, but don't tell anybody that

Sounds like a good one, especially if two people considered it. Captain do you have ready access to movies? Some of the films in these Hofs can be hard to find, but not always. I get most mine from the library or off the net.

Hi Rules. My access is fairly limited to what I can find on cable or at the library also.

P.S. One of the reasons I love 1776 so much is it was my first introduction to the American Revolution. I first saw it a Radio City Music Hall as a kid and it really got me interested in our country's beginnings. I've learned it takes a couple minor liberties with some facts for dramatic effect, but for the most part is historically accurate. It's also quite funny - you'll laugh, you'll cry and all the songs are catchy (as gb said, "But Mr. Adams" is a classic). I have the soundtrack on CD - but it's a Broadway version, so it's got a different actor playing (and singing) Ben Franklin from the movie.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I'm going to nominate one of my all-time favorites:

from 1972
No! No! NO!!!!!
THIS was the movie that I was going to nominate! THIS was the one that I was talking about (that I said I was leaning towards)! And I pretty much made up my mind tonight to nominate it. No! What were the odds??? Well, I suppose not so bad since gbgoodies was had it on the list, too!

Now I really have to work harder on picking one.

Well, one down and 9 more to choose from.

I can't even imagine anyone other than Howard Da Silva as Ben Franklin, and William Daniels will always be John Adams to me, regardless of all the other roles that he's known for, including KITT from "Knight Rider", and Mr. Feeny from "Boy Meets World".

No! No! NO!!!!!
THIS was the movie that I was going to nominate! THIS was the one that I was talking about (that I said I was leaning towards)! And I pretty much made up my mind tonight to nominate it. No! What were the odds??? Well, I suppose not so bad since gbgoodies was had it on the list, too!

It was pretty high on my list too. (In the top 3 that I was considering.)

This is why we were told to have backups ready.

Wow, you seen it at Radio City Music Hall. I bet that was so cool to see in person. I never knew you liked musicals, or is it just 1776?

It would be great to have you in this Musical HOF. Everyone who joins nominates a movie. Last time there were 12 films total. The titles will then be posted on another thread so that you can find a copy of the film. Then we watch them all!
Usually there's like a week per movie and then we vote.

GBG has helped me to find movies online. I bet if you said pretty please she'd help you. She's really one of the most helpful people on this board.

Howard Da Silva was actually in the original cast of "1776", too, but he left the show for awhile. That is why Rex Everhart is on the cast recording.

GBG has helped me to find movies online. I bet if you said pretty please she'd help you. She's really one of the most helpful people on this board.

I have a lot of musicals on DVD, but I'll be happy to help find movies if I can.

Howard Da Silva was actually in the original cast of "1776", too, but he left the show for awhile. That is why Rex Everhart is on the cast recording.

I don't think I've heard Rex Everhart. Is he as good as Howard Da Silva?

No! No! NO!!!!!

My apologies, Vamp.
(Oh my, I've been such a disturbing element since I got here. )

But I do compliment your good taste!!!

It was pretty high on my list too. (In the top 3 that I was considering.)

This is why we were told to have backups ready.
I was a little afraid that someone else would consider it, but I just kept thinking that there were so many other musicals that maybe, just maybe, nobody else would even think about that one. I suppose it is my own ignorance only because I know so very few people - beyond my family - who has even heard of this movie.

Yeah, I know. I really have to think about all of the backups now. You would think with 9 more films on a list it shouldn't be too hard to decide on one of them!

I think it is funny, though, because I think it was posted earlier that maybe everyone would nominate the same movie. Whoever would've thought it would've been "1776"?!

I don't think I've heard Rex Everhart. Is he as good as Howard Da Silva?
Personally, gb, I never saw Rex Everhart's performance (only heard it on the recording). But like you, after seeing the movie, Howard Da Silva will always be the only Ben Franklin for me. And when you hear Everhart's voice in the songs, it's distinctly different. I was a little disappointed those many years ago when I got home with the CD and found I'd purchased a Broadway cast recording and that Da Silva wasn't on it.

But it's one of those things where we see Da Silva was OUR first and only Ben Franklin. If it had been reversed (and Everhart was our first Ben Franklin) we would probably feel let down if he was replaced by anyone else.

Still... everyone is great in the movie, but Da Silva's Franklin really steals the show!!!