Next Movie Forums List?

Tools    

all the film listings are English speaking films.. how often is a foreign film listed?? not very often...
Are you nuts MG? Foreign Language films are certainly represented on the various countdowns.

what is the percentage of English speaking to Foreign? I bet there are far more English films than Foreign Language.. on any list..

In the individual year, top list that started in 1960, then went to 1961 and so on, the number of foreign language films to English films was about 50%. It's also somewhere around 50% in most of the main Hofs that have been run.

MovieGal is statistically right. There are generally way more English speaking films than Foreign language films represented in the MoFo lists.

That's pretty logical, because we're on an American site here and because most people in "the West" watch more films in English than in any other language (in general), but I think it would be interesting to see a MoFo top 100 foreign films sometime in the future (or a few smaller lists with films from several important cinematic countries, like Japan, Italy or France).

MovieGal is statistically right. There are generally way more English speaking films than Foreign language films represented in the MoFo lists.

That's pretty logical, because we're on an American site here and because most people in "the West" watch more films in English than in any other language (in general), but I think it would be interesting to see a MoFo top 100 foreign films sometime in the future (or a few smaller lists with films about several important countries for cinema, like Japan, Italy or France).
Thank you Cob! We need to chat more

Foreign list will be skewered though because whoever runs the list will go for as many lists as possible, but then it will lead to people who have explored all sorts of directors submitting lists, but also those who have only seen the most popular and accessible of films, and I think that this could hurt a lot of films.

By the way I think the 60s has a good chance of having a strong foreign representation, lots of great 'new waves' from the decade, that you'll know about if you read my thread

I don't think we should do a "foreign language" list. IMO the language a film is in is largely irrelevant and people should just watch films regardless. In a way it would help perpetuate the myth that "foreign" films are a separate genre when they aren't.

Happy to do films by country or area though - that would be interesting.

If a foreign list is done then it should be by demographic or language.

Edit: if they are a smaller country.. dont do a top 100.. but a top 50 or 25, whichever is needed.

I don't think we should do a "foreign language" list.
You just became my new favorite MoFo.

Do a non-English animations list.

Also the top movies of the 1950's will have tons of foreign films because old movies and non-English movies are the same: obscure in general to (young) Westerners so I expect a ton of foreign language movies in the 1950's list, perhaps Seven Samurai topping it, for instance.

I don't think we should do a "foreign language" list. IMO the language a film is in is largely irrelevant and people should just watch films regardless. In a way it would help perpetuate the myth that "foreign" films are a separate genre when they aren't.
+ rep here, calling non-English foreign already implies implicitly that anything that's foreign is non-English (not true, a British film is foreign to Americans but it is in English), and also that everybody here is from English speaking countries (me, Cobbyth, Mr. Minio among others who post regularly are not).

Happy to do films by country or area though - that would be interesting.
Top Latin American movies list, I myself haven't watched a Brazilian film in 4 years already.