The Future of the Special Hof, a group decision.

Tools    

What special HoF should run next?
5.26%
1 votes
Run Musical HoF now
78.95%
15 votes
Run Sci-Fi HoF now
15.79%
3 votes
Run a different HoF now
19 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Let the night air cool you off
What if there is a limit to the number of films that can be nominated, but no limit to how many people join and vote?
I guess if somebody really wanted to follow along and watch everything that would be fine, but how many people would really want that taxation without representation?

I don't know if people would want to participate without getting to nominate if it's just for a vote... It's not much different from capping the number of entrants though, but it gives an option as compromise to people who don't make it in time to meet the cut-off.

I personally don't think I'll participate in many simply because it's too much of a burden on my time. Maybe at some point I'd participate in a particularly interesting HoF. But it would have to be something exceptional for me to put other things on hold.

I like the idea of running more than one simultaneously, it would get a lot more themes covered, and it would increase the number of people who can be participating without over burdening each group.

Let the night air cool you off
The way I think covering those who want to join a certain hall of fame, but just miss out due to numbers would be allowing them priority status for whatever upcoming hall of fame they'd want to join in on. Holding them a spot for every upcoming hall of fame until they decide to join one.

I have to admit I enjoyed the Noir HoF more than this general HoF that's running at the mo. Completely my fault as I didn't realise there was going to be 20 films to watch in the general one. I'm not going to quit, but I can't say it's not been a bit of a slog. I enjoyed the Noir one as that's a type of film I like. I'll probably stick to the themed ones in future.

There's some really good ideas being thrown around here for special HoFs. I don't mind which one is done next, but you can count me in with the sci fi, thriller, horror and maybe even the doco.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I was really hoping for a docs Hall of Fame to participate in over summer, I think it would bring out a lot more interesting picks than a sci-fi one since documentaries are generally far less canonized than sci-fi. One of the few that is fully canonized (Shoah) would also be ineligible due to length.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I'd be in for a Sci-Fi HoF! But I still have to watch some movies to the 6th HoF and to the 60s list... If it doesn't start like, next week or so, I may be in!

Has there ever been a foreign film Hall of Fame? Just a thought.

Regarding Jaws being horror or not, I agree with MovieMed that it's not, although I wouldn't say anyone who says it is would be wrong. Sure, the shark is trying to kill, but we also get beasts trying to kill in the new Godzilla, Jurassic Park, and many others. Is it horror only because it's a better film? If Silence of the Lambs is horror, then surely Se7en and Kiss the Girls are too, or no? If Se7en isn't a horror movie, why is Last House on the Left and The Devil's Rejects horror? I think what makes horror is less about what happens, and more about style, and it all comes down to personal point of view. When it comes down to these Hall of Fames though, you need to draw the line somewhere and use something for a definitive answer. IMDb would seem to be the logical choice.

Has there ever been a foreign film Hall of Fame? Just a thought.

Regarding Jaws being horror or not, I agree with MovieMed that it's not, although I wouldn't say anyone who says it is would be wrong. Sure, the shark is trying to kill, but we also get beasts trying to kill in the new Godzilla, Jurassic Park, and many others. Is it horror only because it's a better film? If Silence of the Lambs is horror, then surely Se7en and Kiss the Girls are too, or no? If Se7en isn't a horror movie, why is Last House on the Left and The Devil's Rejects horror? I think what makes horror is less about what happens, and more about style, and it all comes down to personal point of view. When it comes down to these Hall of Fames though, you need to draw the line somewhere and use something for a definitive answer. IMDb would seem to be the logical choice.
Wait, so horror is about style?

Aha! So that's why I love it!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
In conclusion, if there is enough interest in the musical one we could do that, if not move to Sci-Fi. I think Feature Creature should be postponed. This is all my two cents.

In conclusion, if there is enough interest in the musical one we could do that, if not move to Sci-Fi. I think Feature Creature should be postponed. This is all my two cents.
Yeah, someone just needs to step up and do one of those. I think I will start the doc one when you start the seventh in June. That is when 60's lists are due as well, so everyone will be done with there 60"s watching.

Good answer cricket. I agree. Looks like you also agree that it's a lot about style and approach when it comes down to genre definition, and especially the horror genre.

If you look at my past posts I never said people who called it horror was wrong. I just wanted to make my opinion clear, and present the fact that there is a solid debate all over the world whether Jaws is horror or not, so the ones who told me that Jaws was definitively horror needed to chill!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
This is kind of funny to me...

One thing is that we just did a horror hof which you must how missed somehow, the other thing is you name two films which aren't even horror. Well done.

I'm sorry if I'm rude, but I just found this funny. Anyways, I would probably join a sci-fi hof if that was to happen.
You would never tell someone they're wrong about genres? You started it and you laughed about your own superiority. Then you cry about it when somebody calls you wrong? I'll have to remember that only you can say what you want and then change the rules of civility.

Originally Posted by Seanc
Yeah, someone just needs to step up and do one of those. I think I will start the doc one when you start the seventh in June. That is when 60's lists are due as well, so everyone will be done with there 60"s watching.
The poll is a landslide! With Sci-Fi winning and 0 votes for the Musical HoF (the Musical Hof will still run in the near future).

I kind of thought a democratic process would be best for choosing who ever runs all of the Hofs. But it sounds like a more informal method is preferred for choosing who runs them, (which is OK too).

So seeing how I did ask for volunteers for running the Sci-Fi and no one said they would do it and I asked Guap in a PM about running it and he posted I should do it and everyone seems to want to get the ball rolling.....I can run it.

So, if it's OK with you guys, I will run the Sci-Fi and can start it right away. Is that OK?

Sounds good Citizen. I think if someone else wanted to they would have spoke up. I am all for the democratic process but it seeks like if someone just doesn't step up and do it, it just stays an idea that people might be interested in.

So Citizen running sci-fi coming soon. After HOF 6 is over in June, Raul will start 7 and I will start Docs. If you have an objection to any of that speak now etc.