Film Noir HoF...Hall of Fame

Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I do have a question. I'm thinking of nominating a movie I haven't myself seen, but which is rated highly and is on the site's Noir list. Am I allowed to nominate it, or must I nominate a movie I've seen? I can certainly do that, if that's the requirement, or part of the spirit of the Hall of Fame process.
I'm going to step in here and answer this. Rules is running this one but as a person who has ran a lot of them, I'd really rather people nominate films they know and love that they think are worthy of being inducted into a Hall of Film:

Just because it has good ratings doesn't necessarily mean you'll personally think that highly of it. If it were to get inducted that would feel off to me had a I been the one to nominate it. I also highly encourage people to do the introduction of their film into the HoF. If the film doesn't mean that much to you, that's going to be hard to do.

Having said that, there is no rule against it. If you are having trouble finding a film to nominate because your not all that familiar with Noir and participated to become more familiar then it's fine. If you do have movies you love within the genre (I know, I know but for the purpose of what I am talking about it it doesn't hurt to use it ) nominating a movie you love is more in keeping with the spirit of the HoF, but it's not required.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I do have a question. I'm thinking of nominating a movie I haven't myself seen, but which is rated highly and is on the site's Noir list. Am I allowed to nominate it, or must I nominate a movie I've seen? I can certainly do that, if that's the requirement, or part of the spirit of the Hall of Fame process.

I was thinking about the exact same thing. Last night, I was looking through the Noir list from IMDB, and there were a couple of highly-rated movies that looked interesting, with good casts and notable directors, but I've never seen them.

I've been trying to decide if I should watch both of them first, and then decide if I should nominate one of them, or if I should just randomly nominate one of them, or if I should go with a classic movie that many people have already seen.

You guys are the ones who are going to have to watch all the movies, so I'll ask this question:

Would you rather have a movie nominated that is already considered a classic movie, that you may not have realized was Noir, and you've probably already seen at least once, or would you rather have a movie nominated that is highly rated, but it's not considered a classic, and you've probably never seen it?

A nomination should have already been watched by the person submitting it. Even if it was years since it was last seen. That's why I posted that IMDB list of Noir movies so that everyone could quickly glance through it and spot movies that they might have seen in the past. I'm sure we've all seen at least one great Noir but we might not realize it was considered a Noir.

Of course there's no way for anyone to know if a person nominating a movie on any Hof or Countdown, has actually seen the movie. Hopefully they have seen it.

That's why I asked if it was in the spirit of the game. It may not matter because the movie I was considering is now at the top of my Netflix queue so I should have a chance to see it before the nominations are due. If I end up not impressed with it, I'll go with something else I've seen.

I was thinking about the exact same thing. Last night, I was looking through the Noir list from IMDB, and there were a couple of highly-rated movies that looked interesting, with good casts and notable directors, but I've never seen them.

I've been trying to decide if I should watch both of them first, and then decide if I should nominate one of them, or if I should just randomly nominate one of them, or if I should go with a classic movie that many people have already seen.

You guys are the ones who are going to have to watch all the movies, so I'll ask this question:

Would you rather have a movie nominated that is already considered a classic movie, that you may not have realized was Noir, and you've probably already seen at least once, or would you rather have a movie nominated that is highly rated, but it's not considered a classic, and you've probably never seen it?
For me I don't care if there's a couple nominations that are standard classics I've already seen, but I hope most of the nominations are of the hidden gems variety.

I am always glad to see some great movies I have not seen when I join these. However, to me the HOF is about the best of the best. Personally I would rather have to rank ten great movies I have already seen then to watch ten movies that I haven't but just consider good. I think that happens in the general HOF quite a bit. People are disappointed because their movie isn't received the way they think it should be, but it probably has more to do with the quality it has been up against. I can only think of a couple movies that have been nominated that I consider genuinely horrible.

I've seen all of the Noir nominations so far submitted and all are exceptionally good.

See the 1st page on this thread as I update it and add the nominations as they come in.

It's not to late to join, it's easy to do and fun. Any questions just PM me.

I've seen the first four nominations already as well. I've seen Out of the Past once, and I"ve also seen the remake Against All Odds. The other three I've seen three or four times each. They're all favorites, and Pickup on South Street was my next choice for a nomination if the movie I have coming from Netflix doesn't work out.

I'm happy to rewatch all these movies again, but I really am hoping for some nominations I haven't seen.

Kaplan, I'd like some more people to join so we can have more nominations. Do you know anybody you can recruit.

Come on in folks, noir films are very cool. Once you've done this Noir Hof you have bragging rights that you're into Noir

I've seen the first four nominations already as well. I've seen Out of the Past once, and I"ve also seen the remake Against All Odds. The other three I've seen three or four times each. They're all favorites, and Pickup on South Street was my next choice for a nomination if the movie I have coming from Netflix doesn't work out.

I'm happy to rewatch all these movies again, but I really am hoping for some nominations I haven't seen.

It might help if you either name some of the better known movies that you've either seen or not seen. Otherwise there's no way for us to know what to nominate that you might not have seen already.

I didn't realize how many Noir films I've seen until I started looking through the list, but I'm still deciding what to nominate, so I'm open to suggestions.

It might help if you either name some of the better known movies that you've either seen or not seen. Otherwise there's no way for us to know what to nominate that you might not have seen already.
Because it's not all about me... But if you really want to nominate something I've not seen, you can pick something from the site's Noir list that I haven't checked off.

Because it's not all about me... But if you really want to nominate something I've not seen, you can pick something from the site's Noir list that I haven't checked off.

No guarantees, but I'll take a look through your list and see if I can find something that you haven't seen yet.

I just did a real quick look at Kaplan's noir list and I know for sure I've seen these films and they were all good. I considered some of them as my own choice.

Criss Cross
Crossfire
Gilda
I Wake up Screaming
Mildred Pierce
The Narrow Margin
Nightmare Alley
Kiss of Death

I just did a real quick look at Kaplan's noir list and I know for sure I've seen these films and they were all good. I considered some of them as my own choice.

Criss Cross
Crossfire
Gilda
I Wake up Screaming
Mildred Pierce
The Narrow Margin
Nightmare Alley
Kiss of Death

I was thinking about Mildred Pierce because it was just recommended to me on my 2015 Logbook thread. I saw it a long time ago, but I don't remember much about it, so I'm ready for a re-watch of it. If nobody has any objections to that movie, you can put that in as my nomination.

Criss Cross
Crossfire
Gilda
I Wake up Screaming
Mildred Pierce
The Narrow Margin
Nightmare Alley
Kiss of Death
Criss Cross may be my nomination, so leave that please. It's coming in Netflix.

I love Mildred Pierce (1945) and as it has a woman lead instead of a man, it's quite unique. Another Joan Crawford Noir that I really like is The Damned Don't Cry.

Another movie I was considering is Laura, but I just figured that most people have probably seen it already.