Apologies to the forum's members

Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Well, one can think French literature is turd. That tells more about that person than about French literature though.

I gave up being angry when someone insults foreign culture. I will also not waste my time trying to convert people here to anime, if you are not interested in the field you will not try to seriously grasp it's many great works.
Where are you from Guap?

Where are you from Guap?
Brazil.

I noticed that Americans tend to easily dismiss foreign stuff in general. For instance, someone like Sci Fi slob can easily dismiss all of Japanese animation, which is a field as large as American Live action (film and TV combined) as turd. Do you think someone can say that American live action is turd? Well, usually Brazilian communists who hate the US for ideological reasons say that.

Some Americans tend to just dismiss everything that is not American as turd (unconsciously most of the time). Anime is an easy targed because nobody teaches it on schools, it's not automatically well regarded unlike Russian literature, for instance. Most people haven't read anything but they won't say it is turd.

As a rational person, I like what is good and I do not care which medium or country it is from. Anime is an offshoot of manga, manga is the dominant form of fiction in Japan, which was the world's second largest economy for 45 of the last 50 years. It's an enormous medium.

Considering the way I am interacting with some people and the way people here just dismiss whole mediums as turd without knowing anything, I have been made very easily angry/depressed from interacting here.

I am a very sentitive person though, but nobody likes when you are insulted many times.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Brazil.

I noticed that Americans tend to easily dismiss foreign stuff in general. For instance, someone like Sci Fi slob can easily dismiss all of Japanese animation, which is a field as large as American Live action (film and TV combined) as turd. Do you think someone can say that American live action is turd? Well, usually Brazilian communists who hate the US for ideological reasons say that.

Some Americans tend to just dismiss everything that is not American as turd (unconsciously most of the time). Anime is an easy targed because nobody teaches it on schools, it's not automatically well regarded unlike Russian literature, for instance. Most people haven't read anything but they won't say it is turd.

As a rational person, I like what is good and I do not care which medium or country it is from. Anime is an offshoot of manga, manga is the dominant form of fiction in Japan, which was the world's second largest economy for 45 of the last 50 years. It's an enormous medium.
Nice to have here someone who also speaks Portuguese!!!

Well, some of the things you say are actually true! I feel too much distinction between foreign and American cinema sometimes!

But you just need to take it easy and don't take it too much serious! It's only the Internet!

Brazil.

Slob is not an American. He's British.

It all depends on the individual, I think. It's not an American, a British or a Brazilian issue. I think it's a global thing. People in general just don't really like to get out of their comfort zone when it comes to films.

There was only one of my (Belgian) friends who wanted to go and watch Tarkovsky's Solaris with me in the theater for instance, while we usually go with a company of six or more when I propose an American film. They don't even lie about the reason. They blandly admit that they're not interested in watching a Russian sci-fi film that tackles serious philosophical themes. It seems overly challenging to them and they're just looking for a short escape from reality for a while in the fashion they're comfortable with.

I don't agree with their perception of cinema at all, but I also don't blame them. They can do whatever they want. It won't ruin my enjoyment.

I know but I am rather sensitive. People who are fat don't like when other people say fat people are inferior ugly people. Black people don't like to be discriminated as well.

I get angry when someone disregards a whole MEDIUM as turd and I don't get angry if someone says they disliked Whisper of the Heart. That's OK because it is a single movie, saying the whole medium is cr*p, usually without any knowledge of it, that's another thing.

People on the internet get angry too, and myself made other people angry here and in many other forums.

Slob is not an American. He's British.

It all depends on the individual, I think. It's not an American, a British or a Brazilian issue. I think it's a global thing. People in general just don't really like to get out of their comfort zone when it comes to films.

There was only one of my (Belgian) friends who wanted to go and watch Tarkovsky's Solaris with me in the theater for instance, while we usually go with a company of six or more when I propose an American film. They don't even lie about the reason. They blandly admit that they're not interested in watching a Russian sci-fi film that tackles serious philosophical themes. It seems overly challenging to them and they're just looking for a short escape from reality for a while in the fashion they're comfortable with.

I don't agree with their perception of cinema at all, but I also don't blame them. They can do whatever they want. It won't ruin my enjoyment.
Well, but they didn't say:

"Wanna watch Solaris? No, I don't like ruskie horseshit."

And Solaris is a art house sci fi film. I never heard a person saying that they disliked whole mediums, like

"Harry Potter and War and Peace? Not interested, I don't like European literature."

European literature is too vast to be characterized. Anime is the same.

I heard plenty of people saying that they disliked entire mediums. I even heard people saying they simply don't like reading books.

The ignorants are lead by prejudices, wrong, uninformed perceptions or narrow-minded first impressions. You can try helping them overcome those things, but if they're stubborn, you should just leave them be. Maybe the joy of reading a great book or watching a wonderful anime film is just not meant to be for them.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
You don't have to take it to heart and defend anime against every criticism though, especially one that only took five seconds to type, even if it was serious.

Guap you were responsible for me watching just about every Miyazaki movie last year and a handful of other Ghibli films. While some of my misgivings about the medium that you considered misconceptions still hold true, my appreciation for these films grew as I watched more and more. You still probably will not be seeing any of these movies on my favorites list any time soon, but I will be seeking out the more popular stuff that comes down the pipe line and more of the all time greats.

I don't really chime in on these conversations anymore because frankly they always seem to go to places that I don't enjoy or think are productive. However hopefully you can take some solace in the fact that while you may not have made a fan out of me, you did make a viewer out of me. Glad your back, try not to let the man get you down.

I gave up being angry when someone insults foreign culture. I will also not waste my time trying to convert people here to anime, if you are not interested in the field you will not try to seriously grasp it's many great works.
Keep with it Guap

You've introduced some people here to more anime than they would previously have watched (look what Sean's just said) , so that's a good thing.
You have to accept that people just like different things. I'd love it if my husband would read some decent books and not just trashy crime novels. I think he's missing out but he just wants some mindless entertainment. Frustrates me sometimes but if he's happy what difference does it really make to me?

90sAce is dissing mark f?

Lemme at 'im! I'll smack 'im!
Hey what's wrong with a guy reminding his inferiors of their place? Gotta keep them in line every now and then you know?

I heard plenty of people saying that they disliked entire mediums. I even heard people saying they simply don't like reading books.

The ignorants are lead by prejudices, wrong, uninformed perceptions or narrow-minded first impressions. You can try helping them overcome those things, but if they're stubborn, you should just leave them be. Maybe the joy of reading a great book or watching a wonderful anime film is just not meant to be for them.
I have posted that I don't like to read books. I didn't say books were stupid. I just don't enjoy reading books these days. I use to read a lot and I even wrote a rough draft of a 300 page novel. Just because a person chooses not to participate in an activity, doesn't mean they have a dim view of that activity.

And then there is the delusional.
Sarcasm sometimes goes over people's heads