Originals or Remakes?

Tools    

I'm probably committing blasphemy, but I preferred the miniseries remake of "The Shining" much more than the original. But then again, I love its following the book, and what with all of Stanley Kubrick's liberties, they are quite different.

Are we only comparing remakes of time? What about remarks of foreign films (particularly when they're produced within the same decade)?

The King of Movies
Im a huge fan of remakes and i think most are very underated.
Rob Zombie's Halloween was miles ahead than Carpenters Halloween.
Remakes are good because they get a good idea from the original plus they add new effects and more money.

On a diffrent note about remakes, back when the original Friday the 13th was released critics panned it, especily Roger Ebert. But i think once the remake comes out critics will pan it and critisise it for not being more like the original. I gaurantee Ebert will critisise the remake for not being like the one he hated so much that he gave the home adress of one of the actors from the movie on live TV so that people can send her hate letters.

I agree with rufnek, the original is the better of the two, although I did like the remake. Maybe it's because I saw the original first and I knew the storyline and what to expect going into the remake. I read somewhere it was also JFK's favourite movie, isn't that ironic.

Oh and I preferred the original Solaris to the remake, it seemed to suit Tarkovsky more than Soderbergh, but again, I saw the original first, so you know...
I never saw the original version of Manchurian Candidate, but from what I'd heard, the remake was better. Maybe, if and when the original manchurian Candidate comes around, I might go to see it.

I never saw the original version of Manchurian Candidate, but from what I'd heard, the remake was better. Maybe, if and when the original manchurian Candidate comes around, I might go to see it.
You were told wrong WSS. The original is a lot better than the remake. That's not to say that the remake was a bad film, but it wasn't much better than average, which is something I'd never say about the original. Glenn Close was the best thing about the remake and she (seemed) to be sleepwalking through most of it.

And a thumbs up to honeykid. Except, it was Meryl Streep, not Glenn Close. But it's all good.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I was hoping Pike had signed in for this discussion so I could get the real skinny on an incredible thing I heard last night--that they're doing a remake of The Wild Bunch!!! Considering how the remake of 3:10 to Yuma goosed up the action to ridiculous levels, how far over the top might they go with TWB??? To out-Peckinpah Peckinpah, the director of the remake would have to use live ammo! Or maybe the TWB remake will, like the 3:10 remake, go the opposite direction from the original, which for TWB would mean toning down the violence to the point that everyone just talks out their aggression.

Still, how drunk (or snowed) does a director have to get before the idea of remaking a Peckinpah classic starts to sound like a good idea? And who among today’s pretty-boy actors can fill the boots of Holden, Borgnine, Ryan, Oates, Johnson, or even Edmond O'Brien? Would you believe Tom Cruise in a manly role like Pike? And who would invest in such a project that seems to me would be doomed to become another weak-kneed The Magnificent Seven Rides Again in terms of tickets sold.

I'm interested to see what Aronofsky does with the Robocop remake. He's a good edgy filmmaker who's touched on Sci-Fi themes before, and can hopefully reinvent the franchise in a positive way. It's still a pretty tall order if you ask me though, Verhoeven's original was such a great Science fiction film. It only seems like yesterday I was popping in the video for the very first time.

The King of Movies
I'm probably committing blasphemy, but I preferred the miniseries remake of "The Shining" much more than the original. But then again, I love its following the book, and what with all of Stanley Kubrick's liberties, they are quite different.

Are we only comparing remakes of time? What about remarks of foreign films (particularly when they're produced within the same decade)?
I hate remakes of asian horror films.

Welcome to the human race...
Or maybe the TWB remake will, like the 3:10 remake, go the opposite direction from the original, which for TWB would mean toning down the violence to the point that everyone just talks out their aggression.
I doubt that very much. If the people who'd watch a Wild Bunch remake are the kind who watch a remake of a classic without paying any heed to the original, I think they're the kind of people who would appreciate violence more so than talking.

Yet, ironically, they may try and end up pushing for a PG-13 to draw in more viewers.

I doubt that very much. If the people who'd watch a Wild Bunch remake are the kind who watch a remake of a classic without paying any heed to the original, I think they're the kind of people who would appreciate violence more so than talking.

Yet, ironically, they may try and end up pushing for a PG-13 to draw in more viewers.
I agree, Iroquois, that the proverbial snow ball in Hell has a better chance than anyone in Hollywood ever toning down the violence in any action remake. (Caught a piece of The Italian Job remake on the tube the other night--no dialogue, just machine guns blasting. What a shame.)

Anyway, I wasn't serious about Pike and Mapache talking out their differences. But the only way I can see for them to ramp up the violence of the original Wild Bunch is to make it into a Sci-Fi and give Pike a Deathstar.

I still think most of today's young actors can't fill the shoes of the original cast.