1940's Hall Of Fame Part I

Tools    

Just a pair of Hitch's left for me. That's not how I drew this one up, but that's just how it played out!
I started with the two Hitch's.

Not seen Daniel about lately. Hope he finishes always enjoy his posts and also i really loved How Green and also he really liked Pursued.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
How Green was my Valley is the only movie I'd rate higher than my movie so far... Daniel, if you quit, I'll look for you, I'll find you and I'll kill you!

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
The Little Foxes (William Wyler, 1941)

So... this is something!

I absolutely hated the first 20 minutes, I found them boring and confusing. I understood that the director was introducing you all the characters and the basic premise but I just had a feel I wasn't going to like it. I could see nothing special about Bettie Davies or any other character...

Boy, was I wrong...

The way this story becomes darker and darker and the way all the characters start showing their true self! This is what character building is really about! It's not about how they change during the film, it's about how much they reveal about themselves, giving them depth and weight like real people.
Regina is one of the best female villains I've ever seen, almost inhumanely cold. The way Bettie Davies talks and walks is something out of this world. When she sits in the chair right after her husband died I was seeing Al Pacino in the end of Godfather, that's how strong she is! At the ending when she looks through the window I could imagine the Imperial March playing as her daughter walks away in the rain. What a woman...

Oh, and Ben Hubbard it's also a fascinating character! That last scene of his in particular is outstanding!

The direction is flawless, I especially liked the scene where Horace falls in the stairs but the whole film is filled with amazing details!

I would probably never watched this if it wasn't nominated, so thanks Cricket!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Little Foxes does have a great "pealing away of the masks" as the movie proceeds

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Rope

The concept of the film is rather intriguing, but this is one of those Hitchcock films that I would just call good rather than great. I really admire how the film is one big long take. It would be fun to see other films try to do this same exact thing. The dialogue was pretty solid, I just wasn't a big fan of the characters. I thought it was rather silly to pair two guys like Brandon and Phillip together in a murder. I don't think someone like Phillip would be anywhere near anybody doing something like this. Of course that's just my thought. Fortunately, James Stewart saves the movie with his crisp acting, because I wasn't a big fan of the others. Still, it's a movie with some good qualities to it even if I don't enjoy the film that much.

It was certainly a neat idea. I need the right setting for a film to shoot the entire movie in one spot. 12 Angry Men is the type of movie that comes to my mind right away.

It would feel a tad different. The good thing is you feel rather close to the subject of the story with the one take situation. The down effect is I feel like it wasn't as suspenseful mainly because I felt like we knew the end result.

Was just wondering, who still has to send a list? I know Raul just has Shadow of a Doubt left but other than him because this thread seems to have come to a halt recently when a few of us finished.

Was just wondering, who still has to send a list? I know Raul just has Shadow of a Doubt left but other than him because this thread seems to have come to a halt recently when a few of us finished.
I wonder how far Destiny is.

Rope

I do love this film, and find it exciting. It's in the way Jimmy Stewart figures out what's going on, and sets the scene for returning to the apartment to question the two men. It was extremely obvious at the dinner, that Brandon was very capable of keeping his cool, while Philip was ready to break down. Rupert seemed to know how to say the right things, to stress Philip out. I also loved how he kept focusing on the storage chest, once he returned to the apartment. He had the situation pretty much figured out by the end of the dinner, all the way down to where the body was. The only thing I wasn't thrilled about, was how the film began. The second it started, there they were, killing him in a close up. I just thought it looked a bit odd. I think it would have been a bit better, if we were able to see the two men discuss their intentions, as well as seeing them set it all up. Maybe that would have been better.

Again, I do love this film. It's in my top ten favorites of Alfred Hitchcock films. My favorite Hitchcock film will always be Rear Window. I'm not sure where this film goes in that list of favorites, but it is in my top ten. It is for now, anyways. I own 37 Hitchcock films, so far, but I'm not finished watching them.

I wonder how far Destiny is.
Oops! Writing while you posted that.

EDIT!!!

I'm done but didn't send a list yet, was waiting to know about Laura.
I didn't see this. If I'm on the board, I'm going to finish. I always have.