Animated Shorts Hall of Fame

Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
The Cobweb Hotel

The Cobweb Hotel is my favorite setting for any of these shorts so far, aside from maybe the piano in The Cat Concerto. For such a cute cartoon, the setting is almost like a torture chamber with all of those flies stuck to the beds made of webs. The flies themselves were adorable though, especially the champ. He was so cute when he was trying to box the spider's ears off as soon as he got there. That song was creepy as hell too, whoever did the voice of that spider did a wonderful job. I appreciate that this cartoon has a unique style that none of the other noms have. You can tell it comes from a different place just by the difference in character design, animation style, and music choices. It stands out from this crowd, and I enjoyed that. Good nomination.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

The Monk and the Monkey

This was actually a fun, though somewhat saccharine cartoon with a good message at its end. While the animation did remind me of a video game I did get a kick out of the slo-mo spots.
I'm sorry this is an extremely short review but, like I said, a fun cartoon

thanks for nominating this, tat

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

A Tale of Two Kitties

While this isn't the top of Clampett's cartoons, it is a favorite of mine and the only time I actually enjoyed Tweety. Bald, very loud and obnoxious. I'm not much for him with feathers and abusing Sylvester. But here, in his debut, I do enjoy him. Along with Birdy and the Beast and a really good one called Gruesome Twosome where there another two cats fighting over him; one of which parodies Jimmy Durante.
Also, the fact that they parody a childhood favorite comedy team of Abbott and Costello adds immensely to that initial bias. There's a lot of great physical AND vocal comedy in this one. When Babbit insists on Catstello giving him the boid and Catstello looks at the camera, stating "If that Hays Office would only let me, I'd give him the boid all right." Still, to this day, cracks me up.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Der Fuehrer's Face (Jack Kinney, 1943)

I want to preface this by mentioning that I've never been a fan of the Disney core characters, (Mickey and Minnie Mouse, Donald and Daisy Duck, Pluto, and Goofy), but when I was a kid, I thought Donald Duck was funny because of the way he talks. I can appreciate them a little bit more now, but I still find them a bit on the annoying side.

Having said that, I kind of liked this cartoon. I was already familiar with the Spike Jones song "Der Fuehrer's Face" because my father used to play a lot of Spike Jones' records when I was a kid, so that gave this a nostalgic feeling for me.

Watching Donald try to work in the factory and keep up with the speed of the assembly line reminded me of the old "I Love Lucy" episode with the candy factory. My favorite part was when the upside-down picture of Hitler came down the assembly line, and Donald flipped upside-down instead of fixing the picture.

Just watching Donald in this cartoon was exhausting. I didn't really care much for the part when he starts hallucinating that the artillery shells are snakes and stuff, but I liked the ending
WARNING: "SPOILERS ABOUT THE ENDING!!!" spoilers below
with the Nazi salute becoming the Statue of Liberty, and Donald realizing how grateful he is to live in the United States.

King-Size Canary (Tex Avery, 1947)

This is a fun cartoon because it's just so ridiculous when you think about it. It's like the old song about the old lady who swallowed the fly. (For those who don't know the song, she just keeps swallowing bigger and bigger animals to catch the smaller animals that she already swallowed.) In this cartoon, each character drinks the plant grow formula to grow bigger than the previous character who drank it and grew.

It eventually goes to the farthest extreme of being too big. I love when the mouse breaks the fourth wall and tells the cat not to eat him because he's already seen this cartoon, and he saves the cat's life later in the cartoon. I also love the chase through the landmarks.

BTW, this cartoon being nominated made me change one of my nominations. I had planned to nominate the Tweety and Sylvester cartoon "Hyde and Go Tweet", which is a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde spoof, but I thought Tweety growing bigger in that cartoon was too similar to this cartoon, so I decided to change my nomination to a different short.

The Cat Concerto (William Hanna and Joseph Barbera, 1947)

When I was a kid, I didn't really like Tom & Jerry because I remember them being very violent cartoons. (I remember stuff like Jerry slicing up Tom with a sword.) I'm still not a big fan of them, but I don't dislike them the way I did when I was a kid.

Having said that, I think this is one of the better Tom & Jerry cartoons. I love how throughout the whole cartoon, nothing stops them from playing the music. They're basically working together to play the song while they're fighting with each other. Tom from the outside of the piano, and Jerry from the inside.

The only part that I didn't like was when Jerry used a scissor to try to cut Tom's fingers. That reminded me of the violence that made me stop watching these cartoons. And I didn't like when Tom's little finger grew very long so he could reach the keys at the end of the piano. That just seemed kind of dumb.

Quick check in, haven't forgotten about this! Watched half of the noms and should be able to watch the rest and post a few things by the weekend.

The Great Piggy Bank Robbery (Bob Clampett, 1946)

With the exception of the 1990 movie with Warren Beatty, I'm not too familiar with Dick Tracy, but the nice thing about this short is that Daffy Duck is so much fun that you don't have to know a lot about Dick Tracy to love this cartoon.

There are just so many things to love about this cartoon. I love how animated Daffy is when he's reading the comic book at the beginning of the cartoon. I love how things that are supposed to be a secret are labeled so clearly, (the trolley to the "Gangsters' Hideout", and the "trap door"). I love how the villains look like their names, and their fates are related to who and what they are. I love when Eraserhead "rubs" Daffy out.

The only weak part of this cartoon is the ending. I didn't really like the part with the pig. But other than that, this is a great short.

Glad you liked Great Piggy Bank, as i said that's the reason i wanted to do this . That means that 6/8 members have posted about at least a quarter of the noms.

Glad you liked Great Piggy Bank, as i said that's the reason i wanted to do this . That means that 6/8 members have posted about at least a quarter of the noms.

It stars Daffy Duck. Daffy Duck is awesome. How could anyone not like it?

Steven Universe - Season 4 Episode 6 - "Last One Out of Beach City"

I kind of cheated on this one because I had heard a little bit about "Steven Universe" before this HoF, but I had never seen an episode of the show, so I watched a couple of early episodes before watching this one, just to get a feel for the show and the characters.

It's okay, but I didn't think it was anything special. I found most of the characters pretty annoying, especially Steven. The only character that I liked was Pearl, so I was glad that this episode seemed to focus on her character a little bit. Pearl felt more "real" than the other characters, kind of the like the mom of the family trying to fit in with her kids.

I didn't really get the fascination with the pink-haired girl, except that they obviously know/knew someone who looks like her, but she must have been important to Pearl for her to go through the red light to try to catch her. But it didn't make sense when they ran out of gas because wouldn't they have run out of gas before they got to the concert, even if they didn't try following that girl?

Overall, this looks like it might have been better if I knew a little bit more about the characters, but it just seemed kind of average to me.

"The Monk & The Monkey" from Brendan Carroll & Francesco Giroldini

I loved this. It's a simple, but timeless story that's been done many times before, but this was beautifully animated with music that really made me feel the story, and characters that were likable in their own ways.

It wasn't hard to figure out where the story was going or how it was going to get there, but I loved the way it was done. The expressions on the boy's face were perfect throughout the short, and even though it was predictable, I loved the ending.

Der Fuehrer's Face (Jack Kinney, 1943)

I'm tired but I wanted to start with a short! I loved the Hail Hitler parts , Donnald doing that with his tail too! As gbg said, I didn't quite understand everything Donnald says or said . The pictures of the 3 (Mussolini, Hitler, etc) were hilarious too, the animated representation of them I mean. The plottwist was quite funny too, "I'm greatful of being an American citizen" lmao

King-Size Canary
I didn't expect to have so much fun watching this shorts to be honest. I saw a lot of Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Disney when I was little but I didn' like them so much, sometimes they were very simple and it was't enjoyable for me.

Still, I enjoy a lot your noms JJ . This one is amazing as well, it has a lot of jokes, like the rent freezer and the phisics of those boxes and the omniscient 4th wall breaker mouse . The end was goofy but still amazing.

The Cat Concerto

I've seen this one before however I never notice the quality of detail it has. First of all, how the animation makes Tom press every key (piano's keys I'm guessing is the right vocabulary) of the current soundtrack, so that it really is Tom who is playing it! The sountrack is amazing as well, I love Jerry's taste more though. I was thinking how weird that Tom didn't want to eat Jerry, he was just getting him out of the way so that he could play!! Yeah maybe he woke the mouse up, but this might be one of the many episodes where Tom is the victim. At the end Tom trying to follow Jerry's moves was hilarious, too bad they were in vain since everyone notice it was really Jerry who was playing since they illuminated him.