Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Frankenheimer's The Train - that ending man. 5/5.

A.I. Artificial Intelligence -

As i've said before my response to Spielberg films has been mixed; some i love, some i quite like and some i really don't like including some of his most loved films. Well i liked this, there was a few things i wasn't crazy about but overall i thought it was a good film.

Haley Joel Osment was good, he was pretty creepy at times but was mostly sympathetic too. I remember reading on some Cracked list not long ago about subtle things people added to their performances that Osment didn't blink the whole movie; not sure if i'm glad i already had that knowledge or not because that definitely made him look more robotic and i'm not sure if i would have noticed it. It gave him this glazed over look and made the moments were he sat still really unnatural for a human; the moments were it was most apparent were the ones that he stared for a long time like when Monica was in bed with Martin reading him a story while David was at the side in his bed staring towards them. Jude Law was good too, wasn't into him until he got together with David, i think their relationship was very well done.

The best thing about this in my opinion is that there was some really powerful scenes like the one Monica left David in the woods for example; one of the biggest complaints against Spielberg seems to be that his films are overly-sentimental well this wasn't any different but it completely fit in with the story and themes. The story was interesting, the idea of artificial/programmed love is an intriguing one obviously some of the ideas like a robot wanting to become real weren't original but i thought it was all handled well anyway. I wasn't crazy about the last part 2000 years into the future, i thought the other two parts; David with Monica and David trying to become real so he could go back to her were alot better, the ending was pretty nice though. It had some beautiful scenes and i really liked the design of the city in the middle parts, as i said there was some stuff i didn't like much but overall i thought it was good and i'll consider it for my sci-fi list.

Platoon

My favourite Vietnam war film was well overdue a rewatch and I thought it was better than ever and I have to say performance wise Tom Berenger is the man, I want to see more Berenger after this... and who would've thought Charlie Sheen was once in a film directed by Oliver Stone! I had to try and forget who charlie sheen is today. The end battle has to be one of the most visceral ever put to screen... "it's ****ing beautiful"

5/5

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Sheen was actually in two other Stone movies - Wall Street and its sequel (only a cameo).

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Love Story - 7.5/10

I have had this movie on VHS for many years. Multiple viewing - still like it, but that's probably it... It seems to get a lot of hate nowadays..

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I haven't seen Love Story, but the couple of movies that I've seen Ali MacGraw in, were painful to watch her act. Or try to act.
Surprised you haven't saw it. I was asking myself about her acting, and thought "eh" but then she did something with her eyes (lol) and I thought "convincing".... I understand since it isn't a book, sometimes the director has the character act unnaturally to show the audience something.

Ray Milland is definitely the best actor in the movie.

It's on my watch list, but I haven't seen it so far, one of these days. Ray Milland is a fav of mine, I almost always like his roles.

I understand since it isn't a book, sometimes the director has the character act unnaturally to show the audience something.
That's very true. I can think of a couple of movies where people say the actors can't act...but in other movies, their amazing.

Deadpool -

I've avoided this because i really despise Ryan Reynolds, he's the one actor that i just can't stand usually here he was actually alright thankfully. I liked this more than i expected to. There were some horrible, immature jokes that honestly made me shake my head but i don't know it was something different for a superhero film so it worked at times. I did find some of the jokes funny, i really liked Al and his bartender friend. Something else that i thought was well done was Francis; the whole how Deadpool came to be story was really brutal so it made Francis easy to hate; the romance was eh but Francis made the whole thing not feel pointless. I quite liked this, it's certainly not a favourite or anything and it had loads of problems but it was a mostly entertaining watch.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

(COUNTLESS REWATCH) El Dorado (1966)
Just a good time ole fashion western.

Mr. Right
++ Wanna thank Dadgum for posting about this to remind me to watch it. VERY MUCH my kind of quirky film. While I initially watched it for Rockwell it really was Anna Kendrick that shined in this. All kinds of fun, thanks Dadgum!!

(REWATCH) Lucy
I know there's ALL KINDS of hate for this movie but I really really like it.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (2008)
-

It was alright, didn't put me to sleep. Too much of Prince Caspian and not enough of the White Witch.

Chinatown. I've been wanting to watch this for a while and finally got round to it. It's a beast of a noir film, and almost feels like a template for the genre. I thought that the plot in itself was great, with alot of nicely placed red herrings in terms of the "whodunnit" factor.

What I didn't like was Faye Dunaway's performance and her unsatisfying dialogue. I like Dunaway but she was so bland in this movie. Her performance felt like a 1930s performance more than a 1970s one, she came across as so restricted and soulless.

Overall I'd give it 8/10 as I do feel I was watching one of the great noirs unfold and can imagine that cinemagoers at the time were enthralled by it.

Sunshine Cleaning (2008)