The MoFo Top 100 of the Fifties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Strangers on a Train didn't make my list but it definitely deserves its spot here. Harvey is one of my favorite all-time movies and it was my #3. Agh! My list is going to be whittled away before the Top Ten. Well, maybe not.

So far:
#3. Harvey (31)
#6. Shane (64)
#8. East of Eden (43)
#12. The Big Country (66)
#16. Anatomy of a Murder (35)
#18. The Quiet Man (51)

Top Ten Prediction (No Particular Order)

12 Angry Men
Seven Samurai
Rear Window
Vertigo
North by Northwest
Bridge on the River Kwai
Paths of Glory
Singin' In the Rain
Dial M for Murder
The Searchers
I'd be really shocked if Kwai or The Searchers made the top ten and i can't see All About Eve and Sunset Boulevard not making it. We'll see though.

Here's Crickets top 50 guess with the ones that have shown up since he made it taken off. There's 33 there and 30 spaces left so IMO no Old Yeller or Godzilla. Not sure what else should be taken off, Sweet Smell of Success or The Ten Commandments maybe?
And I'm still saying there is no way Godzilla misses the list While it's a little bit surprising (I suppose) that it's this high, there is just no way it didn't get the necessary forty-something points to make the list. Unless there was some sort of mix up with the title, with Godzilla and Gojira not being recognized as the same film. (?) Although it's hard to imagine any of Cricket's picks not making the countdown, except I suppose Pickpocket. I could see that one being really low on a lot of lists, and that's how it didn't get enough points.

Care for some gopher?
I've seen both movies and liked both of them quite a bit. In fact, Strangers on a Train made my list at #24.

Unless my math is poor weren't we suppose to get 4 movies off the list today. Unless I got beaten in an alley by Chuck Norris and his third fist broke my jaw I am certain we only had 2 Movies go off the list today. When I say today I mean Sunday for its now Monday.

Unless my math is poor weren't we suppose to get 4 movies off the list today. Unless I got beaten in an alley by Chuck Norris and his third fist broke my jaw I am certain we only had 2 Movies go off the list today. When I say today I mean Sunday for its now Monday.
No, you are right, Raul said there would be four today and there have only been two so far (I don't know if it's past midnight yet in Raul's timezone?).

I have Seen Strangers on a Train. Voted for neither film.

4. Kiss Me Deadly (1955)
5. Rififi (1955)
10. The Killing (1956)
11. Sansho the Baliff (1954)
13. Throne of Blood (1957)
14. Hidden Fortress (1958)
15. Sleeping Beauty (1959)

My List: 7
Seen: 26/70

I have Harvey (1950) on my list at 18

My list:

4 Ordet #46
5 Marty #100
8 Ace in the Hole #44
12 Umberto D. #61
17 From Here To Eternity #76
18. Harvey #31
23 People Will Talk #88
24 Horror of Dracula #79
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Strangers On A Train was my #14

That makes ten of mine shown up thus far and with the 190 pts gained by the above a grand total of 1,297 points for my list

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Strangers on a Train is a very good Hitchcock film.

Harvey was a decent film, but I remember being really let down after I heard it's a masterpiece.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

My List So Far:

#3) A Face in the Crowd
#8) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
#9) Harvey
#10) Anatomy of a Murder
#13) Johnny Guitar
#14) The Seven Year Itch
#17) La Strada
#18) Strangers on a Train
#21) The Hidden Fortress
#22) Rififi
#24) The Wages of Fear

Seen: 45/70

Strangers on a Train didn't make my cut, partly because I figured it didn't need my help to place in the top fifty...and I was right. Harvey was my fourteenth pick, a movie who's charms I see as clearly as Elwood P. Dowd sees his Pooka. That makes nine of mine, and I now expect fifteen of my remaining sixteen will make it as well, which means my list makes up half of the top thirty. I should only have one flick miss the countdown.

3. In A Lonely Place (#33)
9. Ace in the Hole (#44)
10. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#36)
13. The Killing (#52)
14. Harvey (#31)
18. Pickup on South Street (#72)
20. Throne of Blood (#37)
24. La Strada (#41)
25. The Big Country (#66)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

My List:
5.Les Diaboliques
8. People Will Talk
11. Duck Amuck
14. In a Lonely Place
19. The Klilling
23. The Cranes are Flying
25. Kiss me Deadly

Forgot to include
Night and Fog

I hope Vertigo is higher than Rear Window and I hope The Searchers makes the top ten. I don't see why either of those can't happen. Also if Singin' in the Rain doesn't make the top ten I will be annoyed

I like Strangers on a Train but not enough to consider it for my list, I own Harvey (well, my brother does) but haven't seen it yet.

Seen 34/70 I think.

I think Vertigo definitely could be above Rear Window and i'd much prefer it. I think i'm mostly going off hearing quite a few say they found Vertigo boring while at times it seems like i'm the only one not in love with Rear Window. So i could see that happening, i'd be at least surprised if they weren't the top two.

I think The Searchers will be top 20 but doubt 10, maybe though. Think Singing In The Rain has a better chance than it.

I love both and have seen Rear Window in the cinema but I think Vertigo is better, one of the greatest films ever made. It'll be interesting to see what happens, yeah, hard to tell.

With The Searchers it has the benefit of being regarded as one of the greatest films of all time, and maybe some of the older members have it on their lists. Same goes though with Singin' in the Rain, they appear pretty close together on the fourm top 100 list.

What about Rio Bravo? Top 20? I hope so. Now I've said that it'll probably turn up next.

If Rio Bravo Gets In Id be shocked cause I just dont see them Putting in Rio Bravo, High Noon and The Searchers 3 Westerns in the next 30 slots.