100 Years... 100 Horror Movies

→ in
Tools    

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak
As for what qualifies. I think Sci-Fi with obvious Horror elements can be included.
I agree with that. It's just that true Sci-fi being tossed in is what I hate. Again, Alien is scary, but it's aliens. I just can't separate it. If it's science related, like The Fly, then of course I consider those horror, as well. I never mix thrillers with horror, though. I'm sure I'm confusing everyone. It doesn't matter now. I've decided to take the lists, as is, and average them out. That's why I don't want them posted. I want what you all think up on your own, and then we'll work from there.

Just a question...

What about "The Crow"? Back from the dead, supernatural powers. Goth/Gothic horror styling?

Yeah, I didn't number mine. I put them in alphabetical order.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Just a question...What about "The Crow"? Back from the dead, supernatural powers. Goth/Gothic horror styling?
I came in too close to your post. I just mentioned that you all can name whatever you like. Whatever you believe should be on this list. Just make sure it's a PM.

Yeah, I didn't number mine. I put them in alphabetical order.
That's right. I forgot about that.

Again, it won't matter now. I think this idea will work. We'll know soon enough.

Happy New Year from Philly!
Destiny do you have a limit to the number of movies anyone can suggest in order to make it easier on you? I'll probably limit myself to twenty.

Destiny do you have a limit to the number of movies anyone can suggest in order to make it easier on you? I'll probably limit myself to twenty.
If you think you can name 100 great horror movies, go for it. Just don't go past that.

Do we include TV things?

TV movies...for sure.
But TV episodes? TV miniseries', pop videos? (!)
Online I notice a few placings for "Salem's Lot"...but can we really include that in a list of films?

Man..Got to 50 and I am struggling. I can fill the other 50 places but to be honest I think thye would be films I like a great deal, love even, but would I really expect them to be the 'best'?
We shall troop on...

Do we include TV things?

TV movies...for sure.
But TV episodes? TV miniseries', pop videos? (!)
Online I notice a few placings for "Salem's Lot"...but can we really include that?
I would say no to the TV shows. As far as made for TV movies go, I'll let everyone jump in with their opinions. My opinion . . . As long as it's a movie, it's a go. What do you all think?

Just a question...

What about "The Crow"? Back from the dead, supernatural powers. Goth/Gothic horror styling?
Great question. It's one of my very favorite movies and yet I wouldn't call it Horror, per se. Action/Thriller mostly, with supernatural tendencies. Helpful, aren't I?

I didn't directly answer your question about The Crow. Personally, I do have it in my horror section. I use to keep all of my favorite martial artist's movies in one big bunch, but I finally got over that, and moved them about.

OK 42ndStreetFreak, I received your list. I own 40 movies from your's, and 58 from Holden's. Ignore me. I'm just having fun doing that.
You reminded me of a couple that I forgot. I'll add those to mine, for sure.

Righto.

I have to say though that if people are going to do it, then they have to do 100.
Otherwise the whole thing is compromised, as a huge amount of films won't even get a look in.
50 is not enough really, and 20 is awful. I can guess what most of any persons 20 would be. We all could. It's pointless and tells us nothing.

We all know what films are going to be Top 10, even if we don't know the order.
The really interesting stuff comes from the tallying up of less well known, less obvious films that have, none the less, made a person's Top 100 list and are special to those who pick them.

for example I'm sure "Son of Frankenstein" will make some showing on the 100 list of those who have seen it. But it probably won;t be Top 20, or perhaps even Top 50. That will go to the "Frankenstein" and "Bride of".
But we already know those are going to make it...what's interesting is where "Son of" comes in the list. But it won't even have a chance with fans of it, if the list is a short one.

100 or nothing I say...as it gives films a chance, adds variety, introduces scale and representation and ultimately validity to the whole thing, and levels the playing field.

Ah i'd be for TV episode, can't be that many that would qualify but would love to see Tooms from X-Files, Hush from Buffy or an episode of Twin Peaks crop up, since this is OUR list and we're breaking some standard list rules for it- why not?

Also, 42nd makes a valid point. I'd want to see more obscure films on the list, maybe if we say you can't include any films already on other lists or just pinpoint the most obvious 20 so they don't need voting for and we can get some more range in.

I'm also up for posting lists, as i'm sure i'm not alone in finding making a comprehensive list off the cuff a bit bewildering, would like to see other lists so don't forget anything on my list

Some given flicks i guess most would include:

Dracula
Frankenstein
Halloween
Night of the Living Dead
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Jaws
Alien
The Shining
Exorcist
The Evil Dead
American Werewolf in London
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
The Thing
Carrie
King Kong

Personally, i wouldn't have included Psycho. Anyway, just an idea if we take an agreed selection out, if people only submit a list of like 20, there's going to be a variety. Would be intrigued to see if any franchise sequels make people's list once the originals are out.

Originally Posted by Pyro
I'm also up for posting lists, as i'm sure i'm not alone in finding making a comprehensive list off the cuff a bit bewildering, would like to see other lists so don't forget anything on my list
As I said, I'd total them up, and post them all, from most suggested, to least suggested. That way, if anyone forgets anything, they'd be reminded then. THEN we'd PM a second list that I'd total up again. It will help keep it all organized.

I agree with Psycho being left off, but not with using TV shows.

Anyone else?

Vote for TV shows? Part the fun is getting to see new things, TV show included
Yes, but this is about movies. That's what all these lists are about. I think everyone should have a say in the matter. I'm not sure Yoda will want them on the list, and he does have the final say so . . . or at least I believe he does. He already bent the rule a lot by letting us attempt to create this thing.

You also need Sir Toose, Used Future, r3port3r, 42nd St., etc.
Three out of four from that list joined in. Unless Toose missed my note? Anyway, I suppose this will be it . . .

Ðèstîñy
Holden Pike
mark f
Used Future
igor_is_fugly
Yoda
r3port3r66
Powdered Water
TheUsualSuspect
Lennon
Iroquois
Sexy Celebrity
Pyro Tramp
42ndStreetFreak
beelzebubbles

Can I get you all to go ahead and PM your lists to me?

A Top 20 TV Horror list would be quite fun (as a separate thing though), and pretty unique.

I think we have to include the classics ("TCM", "Halloween" etc) in a best of list.
But that's okay as the large 100 choices you have means all those other films can get a major look in.
So we have a genuine 'best' list, but a comprehensive one that other lists would fall short of.

Welcome to the human race...
This is turning out to be a little harder than I thought. But whatever.