My Favorite Recurring TV Characters

Tools    

For the purposes of this list, a recurring character has appeared on more than one episode of a television series, but was not a regular on the series. You should know that you are probably going to see a lot of characters from the show that was the king of recurring characters, Seinfeld. These are my favorite, and remember, this list is my opinion and my opinion only, recurring television characters.

Harry the Hat, Cheers

Before he played the judge on Night Court, Harry Anderson used to pop into the bar where everyone knows your name as a slick con man who always managed to walk out of there with somebody's money.

Otis Campbell, The Andy Griffith Show

Otis Campbell (Hal Smith) was the harmless town drunk who spent the majority of his time in the Mayberry drunk tank (which was actually one of the two cells in Andy Taylor's office). If the truth be told, Otis seemed more comfortable behind Andy's bars than he did in the real world.

Tim Whatley, Seinfeld

Bryan Cranston created another memorable character here...a slightly smarmy dentist who allegedly became Jewish so that he could tell Jewish jokes and invited Elaine to accompany him to the Superbowl but took the invitation back when he realized she wasn't going to have sex with him.

Ed Cooper, One Day at a Time

Despite limited appearances on the show, Joseph Campanella made an impression as Ann Romano's ex-husband the father of daughters Julie and Barbara. It was fun the way Ed used the fact that his daughters were crazy about him to drive his ex Ann crazy.

Myrna Turner, The Odd Couple

Penny Marshall garnered major laughs as Oscar's love-starved secretary who put up with a lot of crap from her boss until she finally found love with boyfriend Sheldon (Marshall's real-life husband at the time, Rob Reiner.)

Hymie the Robot, Get Smart

Definitely my favorite non-human recurring character, perfectly played by Dick Gautier.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
75. Harry the Hat, Cheers

Before he played the judge on Night Court. Harry Anderson used to pop into the bar where everyone knows your name as a slick con man who always managed to walk out of their with somebody's money.

Harry the Hat was hysterical on Cheers. I would have rated him much higher than this.

Kenny Banya, Seinfeld

Though he did garner his share of laughs, Stephen Hytner created a character here that you wanted to punch in the face most of the time. Kenny was a second rate stand-up, who was always working to get out of Jerry's shadow and in deep denial about his second rate status. His most obnoxious appearance on the show centered around him asking Jerry to buy him dinner in exchange for a suit he gave Jerry and when the opportunity presented itself, Banya ordered soup and wanted to save his dinner for another time.

Mrs. McGee, The Cosby Show

Elaine Stritch always had me on the floor as Rudy and Kenny's favorite teacher...my personal favorite Mrs. McGee scene was when she chewed out Cliff (Bill Cosby) for doing Rudy's homework for her.

Janice, Friends

Actress Maggie Wheeler definitely earned her fifteen minutes as the on again off again girlfriend of Chandler Bing (Matthew Perry) with the horrible laugh...nails on a chalkboard had nothing on this laugh.

Bobbi Adler, Will & Grace

Debbie Reynolds was a laugh riot as Grace Adler's self-absorbed mother, whose every entrance was a Broadway opening number and every word to her daughter was criticism or "I told you so." She even had an "I told you so" dance.

Sam Franklin, The Brady Bunch

Allen Melvin made an impression as the Brady family butcher and the commitment-shy boyfriend of their housekeeper Alice (Ann B. Davis). Even though the guy was definitely marriage-shy, it was clear he cared about Alice. He also used to come up with the stupidest jokes/puns centered on the subject of meat.

Dr. Linda Freeman, Two and a Half Men

Long before Sue Sylvester began terrorizing the students of McKinley High, Jane Lynch was very funny as Charlie Harper's therapist, who, surprisingly, was not shocked by Charlie's sexual shenanigans, but always told Charlie exactly what he needed to hear, even if he didn't want to hear it.

Jackie Chiles, Seinfeld

Phillip Morris carved himself a place in show biz history as the slick talking attorney who had a nose for million dollar lawsuits, but unfortunately didn't have the skill to win them. I don't think the fact that most of these lawsuits involved Kramer (Michael Richards) helped matters, but the leads did call on Chiles to defend them from the myriad of charges they faced in the brilliant series finale.

Bulldog, Frasier

Dan Butler nailed this obnoxious character...Bulldog was the sexist host of a sports radio show at the same station where Frasier worked and never missed an opportunity to remind him that his show was more popular than Frasier's...nor did he ever miss the opportunity to get his hand up a woman's skirt. What I loved more than anything was the fact that the actor who played this unabashed skirt-chaser was gay IRL.

Aunt Clara, Bewitched

Veteran character actress Marian Lorne was absolutely adorable as Samantha's dotty Aunt Clara, an aging witch who doesn't have full control of her fading powers. Clara usually entered the Stephens home through the fireplace and had a tendency for casting spells that, thanks to certain wording, often conjured up historical figures. One memorable episode Clara wanted to help Samantha with an electrician and ended up conjuring up Benjamin Franklin.

Danielle Melnick, Law & Order

Tovah Feldshuh created a character who was alternately funny and a little pathetic in Danielle, a well-intentioned, bleeding-heart attorney who was always 100% percent sure that she had an airtight case when she faced off with Assistant DA Jack McCoy (Sam Waterston), but NEVER won...on one particular episode, one of her alleged innocent clients resulted in Danielle getting shot.

Esther Clavin, Cheers

Veteran character actress Frances Sternhagen was wonderful as Cliff Clavin's deceptively manipulative mother...the woman had a talent for manipulating her son without him actually realizing she was doing it.