The Movie Trade-off Tab

Tools    

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
Before Sunrise -

I love a good romantic movie. To me they are too far in between. I didn't love this movie because of what they were talking about or the subject of their conversations in general because at times their conversations were really 'young adult' ish but that's because surprise! They're young adults! (And really what am I saying, I'm 22). I more so loved it because of the quality of the connection that they were forging. I was so excited to see the next one because they wouldn't be so young anymore and the subject matter of their conversations would be more grown up and it was! I immediately had to watch the next one.

Before Sunset

So technically this one wasn't the one recommended to me/I didn't have to watch it but I had to because i'm in a unique position now where I get to watch all three consecutively and I should take advantage of that right? I'll be watching Before Midnight tomorrow

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Solaris (2002 Steven Soderbergh)

Suggested by: Teeter_G

I seem to recall a lot of harsh criticism about this movie, but I didn't think it was all that bad. I love the idea of it; a person recreated from our mind and how that person would be our perception of them and how much that would differ from who they really were. You could make a great movie from that.

My problem with Solaris is that it feels so incomplete. I don't feel as if the ideas were fully explored and it felt like a big chunk of the movie is missing. I literally had that feeling when you fall asleep during the middle of a movie and wake up towards the end. I don't know why more wasn't focused on Jeremy Davies's character. I was interested in what was going on, but there needed to be more to it. This should have been a much longer movie than 99 minutes.

This is hard to rate because I did like what I saw, but am really disappointed in what wasn't there.

Before Sunrise -

I love a good romantic movie. To me they are too far in between. I didn't love this movie because of what they were talking about or the subject of their conversations in general because at times their conversations were really 'young adult' ish but that's because surprise! They're young adults! (And really what am I saying, I'm 22). I more so loved it because of the quality of the connection that they were forging. I was so excited to see the next one because they wouldn't be so young anymore and the subject matter of their conversations would be more grown up and it was! I immediately had to watch the next one.

Before Sunset

So technically this one wasn't the one recommended to me/I didn't have to watch it but I had to because i'm in a unique position now where I get to watch all three consecutively and I should take advantage of that right? I'll be watching Before Midnight tomorrow
glad you liked them! i also like before sunrise more than sunset, but i absolutely adore both of them. before midnight is even better, and is in my top 10 favorite movies of all time.

i watched misery a couple days ago and will try to write something about it later tonight. i really liked it.

there isn't a lot to say about this movie that isn't obvious, but it doesn't mean it isn't true. kathy bates is really great here, and is insanely creepy and chilling. at first her performance was kind of a disappointment because it wasn't as creepy as i thought it was going to be, but the more i think about it, the more i love it. james caan was really likable and cool, too. this was one of the most suspenseful movies i've seen in a long time, and i was really in the mood for that at the time. there were so many scenes where i was holding my breath, and i think i almost had a heart attack several times. there's not a whole lot to it, and i could see a lot of the scares coming, but it didn't lessen the impact.

85/100

thanks, rice!