Horror Movies

Tools    

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Scary movie 4!.I was gripping the arm rest so hard i think i bent it.

originally posted by crazy chick

you are not serious,right?

www.forumninja.com
If The Exorcist is my fine wine, then The Thing is probably my ice-cold beer at the end of a long day.

Originally Posted by crazy chick
Scary Movie 4 was lame too dry nothing really funny at all.

Top 5 horror:
5. Pet Semetary
4. The Shining
3. Night of the Living Dead
2. It
1. The Exorcist

If it is not blatantly obvious, I am a fan of Stephen King. I even liked The Langoliers.
"You smell that? Do you smell that? Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory."

-
Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore

I really liked scary movie 4. I thought it was the best right after the 1st movie. I liked it mainly because it spoofed a lot of films that were highly rated, yet I thought were really lame. Thats the main reason I enjoyed it. That and I thought it did have a lot of geniunly funny parts. I'm interested in seeing the uncut dvd when it's released.

Horror movies were great in the 1980's and some in the early 90's. But horror movies today are not what they used to be, with the exception of The Devil's Rejects. Now that is a film that horror fans have been waiting for, granted its not your classic zombie film. But it is a good insane slasher film that opened eyes instead of looking at your watck to see how much time is left.

A system of cells interlinked
What about The Descent? I thought that was a great old fashioned horror/thriller, that built tension, and still hit us with some over the top shredding to satisfy all the gore-heads out there... Best horror film in years, IMO. Then again, I thought both of Rob Zombie's films were complete garbage.

I agree with Sedai about The Descent- it had loads of creepy stuff and, of course, gore!

and Pyro Tramp is right about Dog Soldiers too- brilliant comedy/horror

my favs are

Exorsist
Ringu
Night of the Living Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Saw

What exactly is the definition of a good horror flick? Certainly opinions can vary, but horror to me is more than a “slasher” movie or a blood fest extravaganza. A good horror film has a plot; I mean one that pulls you in and then surprises you with a twist or something unexpected and then makes you jump in your seat because you were truly scared and not just alarmed because a cat jumped out from a closet and the director decided to amp up the volume and play some god awful accompanying “meow” or loud cord. I have so many cats in my house and have been raised around them that they just really are not that scary to me and they seemed to be overused in the genre. The sudden loud music, yes that makes me jump sometimes, but not because I am scared. I want a horror movie to scare me, to make me think, to make me have nightmares. I do not want to feel sick from a mongoloid/mutated/scarred-faced fiend ripping the heart out of a person then eating it. I want characters that I care for, and when they die in some unexpected way I want to feel sadness as well as shock. I want to “jump” sure, but not because a loud sound shocks me. A loud sound is all well and good if it accompanies something other than a body falling down in front of me at the most opportune/inopportune time, or an animal bursting from a kitchen cabinet. The first two Alien films come to mind, and yes I know a cat jumped out a time or two in these movies, but other than that I truly think of these movies as “horror”. Certainly it is a bit easier to mix horror and sci-fi than say horror and romance, but usually sci-fi and horror make a good mix. Hitchcock knew the recipe for good horror movies, but other than Psycho most of his films were a B+ for me; he knew the recipe, but he didn’t always follow it. Still, for the most part, he was a great filmmaker and I enjoyed his films. Now do not get me wrong I do not knock slasher films or blood-gory meat grinder flicks, they are just not “horror” to me. What is horror to me?….hmmmmmm:

Salem’s Lot

Alien/Aliens

Psycho

Rosemary’s Baby

Carrie

The Exorcist

Les, Diaboliques

The Shining

Faust

The Thing

Misery

….and more, but not many.

Where are these films today?

The Hills Have Eyes actually made a wonderful combo of shock-n-awe and character development; at least in the current day standards, but it could not hold a candle to past films. It is almost like two differing grading scales: an A horror movie today is kin to a C horror movie from the pre 1980 decades. Silent Hill teased at being great, but too bad the director failed to jump on that bandwagon. In closing all I really ask for in a great horror flick is originality, shock, good plot, and at least one moment during the movie where I almost piss my pants. Almost I said…almost.

Love the Saw Movies and The Trilogy of the Dead well cool movies
-Chris

love peace and chicken grease
im big horror movie fan i really like carrie,misery,pet cemetary. i also like halloween and texas chainsaw massacre. i watched saw for the first time not to long ago and i really liked it.it was better than i thought it would be.

i love watching Horror movies....i like the old ones like Halloween and Friday The 13th and ****....my fave is Halloween...one of the best movies ever. I also love the Friday The 13th series...ive seen 1-6 so far...plannin to watch the rest soon....and with Nightmare on Elm Street ive only seen the first one,...i liked it but it sorta confused me lol

Horror film's sre great, and i have to agree with the man above me, the older one's are the best, If i had to pick some of my favourite's i'd go for:

A Nightmare on Elm St. (1 & 3)
Friday the 13th (The first one)
Halloween ( 1 & 2)
The Shining
The Fog (1980)
The Exorcist
The Amityville Horror (1979)
Pet Semetary
Poltergeist

That'll do i think!

It's a toss up between Halloween, The Thing, or An American Werewolf in London.

I don't known if this would be classified as a horror film, but I saw an asian movie the other day called "Audition", imdb has the spelling "Ôdishon". Highly recommended. Has anyone seen this.

love peace and chicken grease
i havent seen audition but i heard about on this show i watched on bravo.i think im goin to try and watch it sometime.

i don't really like slash and stalk movies its the same deal over and over just a different cover give me the dark twisted horrors i love those - they need to be really shocking for me.

Chris

My life isn't written very well.
Actually G&C, Some slasher films can rise above the mold. I suggest, if you haven't already, watching "Sleepaway Camp" (a fabulous & disturbing twist ending!), "Scream" or even "Hostel"

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Originally Posted by agent_007
I don't known if this would be classified as a horror film, but I saw an asian movie the other day called "Audition", imdb has the spelling "Ôdishon". Highly recommended. Has anyone seen this.
yep, I have...and I own it...its fantastic! Takashi Miike, is a genius...disturbing snippets of horror throughout the film during its lead up to the quite horrifying climax ending! love it

Horrorphiliac