The 2014 NFL Playoffs Thread

Tools    

Glad to see the Cowboys progress, even if noone else is . It's a great story of Romo's season, from broken back to 12-4 season and 2nd round of the playoffs, still I can't see them getting past Seattle.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Glad to see the Cowboys progress, even if noone else is . It's a great story of Romo's season, from broken back to 12-4 season and 2nd round of the playoffs, still I can't see them getting past Seattle.
I like Romo. Glad to see him move on.

Ditto. I think the desire to turn careers into narratives has given him a bum rap, so I'm happy to see him move on.

I kinda like the Packers, too (they're kinda hard to hate if you're not a fan of one of their division rivals), so I'll be pretty happy either way next week, I guess.

I like the Steelers QB better, but it seems that he's been a bit of a one man show lately.
I hate that I'm seemingly disagreeing with everything (sorry!), but this is probably less true than it's been at any point in his career. Brown led all receivers in receptions and receiving yardage (the reception total was the second highest in league history), and Bell had over 2,000 yards from scrimmage.

Thank goodness, too, because the defense was terrible this year. But the offense is positively stacked with weapons (there are two young deep threat receivers who made a lot of noise down the stretch), so they could be pretty formidable if they can patch together even a league-average defense, I think.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
I kinda like the Packers, too (they're kinda hard to hate if you're not a fan of one of their division rivals), so I'll be pretty happy either way next week, I guess.
Rodgers is a likable guy and throws the ball with more accuracy and zip while on the run then any QB I can remember.

I hate that I'm seemingly disagreeing with everything (sorry!), but this is probably less true than it's been at any point in his career. Brown led all receivers in receptions and receiving yardage (the reception total was the second highest in league history), and Bell had over 2,000 yards from scrimmage.

Thank goodness, too, because the defense was terrible this year. But the offense is positively stacked with weapons (there are two young deep threat receivers who made a lot of noise down the stretch), so they could be pretty formidable if they can patch together even a league-average defense, I think.
You know, I hadn't actually seen any of their games this year. I just noticed he had some monster games.

Aye; because of those guys. Brown's got 239 receptions and about 3,200 yards the last two years, which is insane. Bell's breakout is more recent; he was so-so last year (rookie season), but exploded this year.

In other words, this year they had the NFL leader in passing yards (tied with Brees), the NFL leader in receiving yards, and the runner-up in rushing yards.

Meanwhile, all the lines for the next round are high, by normal playoff standards:

Patriots -7 against Ravens.
Seahawks -11 against Panthers.
Packers -6 against Cowboys.
Broncos -7 against Colts.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
I think all the favorites will win but hope for upsets outside the Packer game which I don't have a rooting interest in, at least at the moment.

Don't follow the league as close as I did but I think the Patriots will keep Flacco in some sort of check with Revis Island out there, the Hawks will shut down Newton, Colts are susceptible to the run and Luck can be careless, and the Boys could beat the Pack with their running game especially if Rodgers doesn't have a great day.

Ravens at The Patriots

Some people will say that Baltimore isn't that good because they backed into the playoffs. It doesn't matter. They've been in this situation before and have excelled. They are tough, proud, experienced, and are going into this game confident.

This Patriot team is underestimated because of their recent playoff history. Their division has been on the weaker side the last few years, so they didn't have to be great to make the playoffs. The fact is that the last few Patriot teams were not all that good, even the last Patriot team to make the Super Bowl. This is a different Patriot team.

Baltimore keys to victory

Pressure Brady up the middle with the front four.*

This is a must. The Ravens are subpar as it is in the secondary. If they have to bring linebackers or safeties to put heat on Brady, they're in trouble. Any pressure is good pressure, but if it doesn't come up the middle, Brady can step up and deliver the ball.

Jim Harbough must outcoach Bill Belichick.

**The Patriots have the talent advantage in this game. The Pats can be unpredictable in how they gameplan, but the Ravens need to be ready. If they're not, they need to adjust quickly. If they are down early, they cannot wait until halftime to make adjustments or else it could be too late. I don't think anyone would say that Harbough is a better coach than Belicheck, but for one game, he can be. In this particular game, he must be.

Keep your composure.

The Ravens are known as a chippy team that can sometimes cross the line. If they get down early, they must not get frustrated. If they start drawing personal foul penalties, it's lights out.

New England keys to victory

Match Baltimore's physical play.

This is a must for them. Patriot teams of the past did not have the personnel to physically match up with Baltimore. They do now, but they have to go out and do it.

Don't settle for field goals.

The Patriots need to capitalize on their scoring opportunities. Settling for field goals keeps a lesser team in the game, essentially closing the talent gap.

Key players must stay healthy.

This has been a problem for the Patriot's in recent years. If they get a key player or two injured early in the game, this matchup becomes a lot more even. This is something that is somewhat of a concern against Baltimore, which is a hard hitting team.

I think it's fairly obvious what Baltimore will try to do; rush the passer, establish the running game, and take shots down the field. It's harder to predict with the Patriots. I feel that *the Pats will come out in the shotgun with the no huddle, and throw the ball 45-50 times. They should have a hard time running on Baltimore, so I expect the short passing game to be their running game, neutralizing the devastating pass rush of the Ravens, and controlling the ball. If they succeed with this, it will open up the play action and allow them to take advantage of a vulnerable Baltimore secondary.

All week long, the already confident Ravens have been hearing how they own the Patriots. The Patriots have been hearing this too, and how the Ravens are the last team they wanted to play. When the Patriots are doubted is when they play their best, and I believe that this was actually the best draw for New England. The Patriots are talented, healthy, focused, and at home. If they get the chance, they will lay the hammer down on the Ravens. I think the Pats win this game comfortably, and I think it could get ugly. If they lose, it's a devastating loss, and Baltimore deserves all the credit in the world.

Carolina at Seattle

Carolina would seem to be one of those teams that nobody wants to play against. They're a powerful team that plays a lot of ugly games. Seattle can be sucked into a game like that, but they have far superior talent, and should come out victorious. Carolina could keep it close but I think Seattle pulls away. I think a Seattle victory is highly likely.

Dallas at Green Bay

I'm pretty interested in how this game plays out. The Cowboys would appear to have a good chance with their running game and Rodgers injury, but I just don't trust the Cowboys. I've looked at them as a talented, but flaky team over the last few years. This has got to be the first time that an 8-0 road team has played at an 8-0 home team. This pretty much shows me that the Cowboys are much the same team that they have been. I wouldn't even try to guess what happens in this game.

Indianapolis at Denver

Denver certainly has the edge here but I don't totally discount Indy. It's just a matter of if they're quite ready for primetime. Denver most likely wins this game but nothing would be a big surprise here.

That was such an awesome game to watch. It was pretty much played in the style I thought it would be, but I didn't expect Baltimore to play so great. Hat's off to them.

Isn't it time for Brady to go away yet. Sure doesn't feel like I got to enjoy Kelly and Thomas for this many years. Spoiled NE fans.

Well, if Denver takes care of business this afternoon, then we'll have what are pretty much the consensus top two in both conferences playing next week.