Atheistic Materialism Automatically Disqualifies Free Will

Tools    

I am having a nervous breakdance
Sorry. I was editing my last post when I had to go away from the pc for a while and I forgot all about it.

Originally posted by Sexy Celebrity
Hello! I never talked about religions and I certainly didn't discriminate any of them. That is why I say you're arrogant! God can be anything -- all religions follow the same path, basically. Don't you dare accuse me of these beliefs you're pulling out of your ass about me. The only thing I talked about that's not in some religions is reincarnation -- that's MY personal belief.

Well hello hello! Damn, someone is getting really around here.

Here's something else from my ass: hinduism is a great deal about reincarnation... Check it out!

I think you take my posts too personal. I used your childhood story as an example of a bad evidence of the biblical God's existance. Then I went on to tell about my views about religion in general.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Oh, how I hate this thread. And no. I will not stop saying it!

And Chris! Why could you not let it die? Or at least bring it back to life with more talking to me. I finally joined in and you give me a stupid little backhand of a reply. Thanks!

Jerk!

Originally posted by Piddzilla
Here's something else from my ass: hinduism is a great deal about reincarnation... Check it out!
Your ass or Hinduism?

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally posted by Sexy Celebrity

Your ass or Hinduism?
Well now... My ass has a dedicated crowd of followers, sure. But I doubt if it is capable of reincarnation.

Oh God the twisty turny roads in here are so unpredictable.

Hey Silver, did you know that God spelled backwards is Dog? Is the credo of the dog backwards from that of the bible?

What? Don't attack me, man! I was made a post that sucked up to both sides of the argument! I want you to love me! Lo-ove. Me-e...

I do not understand said question. I do not understand these mind games. Hate crime! Hate crime! Love me! Not war me! Not war on me, man! Not war on me! War on you and both your houses.

The answer to your question, Jimmy, is apostle.

To answer Yoda's original question. I'm not sure If I am writing the same thing as anyone else, I only skimed through the reply's.

Well, an athiest is somebody who does not believe in God. Therefore, his or her life is in their own hands. They have complete free will.

An athiest to God, is like an anarchist to the government.

If you are a thiest, that means, well... the opposite. It means that you believe that no matter what, God is in control of your life. If you decide to do something bad... ie beat your wife, that means God did it for a reason.

In regards to a further post.

Hinduism is not a religion, there is no God. It is simply a way of life. What they worship is the Earth. They do this, because this is what they can be sure they were born from. They do not follow a book, and a god not seen (Though It does not bother me if you do. Whatever brings happiness to your life.)

I believe, that if I was not Agnostic, I would be a Hindu. Hindu was the main religion of the east. It spawned Buddhism, Taoism, Zen etc.

On the topic of religion, isn't it funny that Jews and Muslims were both born from the same father... Abraham? Abraham had two sons "Isaac and Ishmael" Isaac became the father of Jews, Ishmael of Arabs (Arabs later got their own religion from Muhhamad.

Oh well.

I'll reply to the rest later, but for now...

Originally posted by Travis_Bickle
Well, an athiest is somebody who does not believe in God. Therefore, his or her life is in their own hands. They have complete free will.
Logically, they don't. You need to believe in the supernatural to believe in Free Will. See my previous posts for an elaboration.

If you are a thiest, that means, well... the opposite. It means that you believe that no matter what, God is in control of your life. If you decide to do something bad... if beat your wife, that means God did it for a reason.
False. Why is a Theist allegedly bound to accept a highly specific, unavoidable Divine Plan? Are you confusing Theists with Fundamentalist Christians?

Oh, one more thing:

An athiest to God, is like an anarchist to the government.
More like a rebellious child, I'd say. And as we know, the only way a child can possibly compete with it's parent is to yell something like "you're not my real father!" Hence, my personal slogan when it comes to Atheism: how can you fight God but to pretend He doesn't exist?

Originally posted by Yoda
False. Why is a Theist allegedly bound to accept a highly specific, unavoidable Divine Plan? Are you confusing Theists with Fundamentalist Christians?
It may of been an overstatement. You know, like saying your moms spagetti tastes like ****. It may not really taste that bad. But pretty damn bad.

Yes, a bit of a stereotype to all thiests, but a major number of them do in fact fit into my description. Fundamentalist Christians, Muslims, and a number more.

You know, like saying your moms spagetti tastes like ****. It may not really taste that bad. But pretty damn bad.
You talkin' bout my mama?

Your mama's so FAT, she went to the movies and saw EVERYTHING!

Your mama's so stupid, she sat on the t.v to watch the couch.

Your mama's so stupid, she climbed a glass wall to see what was on the other side.

Your mama's so fat, she uses a mattress for a maxi pad.

-Don't get me started on the mama jokes... you will go down crying.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
You need to believe in the supernatural to believe in Free Will. See my previous posts for an elaboration.
but isn't choosing to be an atheist an act of free will, just as choosing to worship the God of your choice is?

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Originally posted by Toose
Hmmmm, maybe. Would you discard the theory that what we 'see' with our eyes are veins and meat but the 'glue' which holds it together is what we call 'supernatural' or 'soul'? How can we be sure we even have the equipment to see everything that comprises something else? I can't hear the dog whistle but the sound it produces is real as hell to my dog... see what I'm driving at?
Actually, that's, in a sense, exactly what I believe. I believe our Souls are the sound waves and our body is the radio; you can damage the radio, and the waves won't come through as clearly, but they're there, seperate overall but still connected. To destroy the radio is not to destory the signal...except from your perspective, because you won't be able to hear it anymore.

Remember, I'm playing Devil's Advocate here: I DO believe in a Soul...I DO believe in Free Will. But the two sort of go together, is what I'm saying. There's no logical reason to believe in Free Will without something supernatural, and the fact that "we don't understand the brain" and "c'mon, you KNOW we have free will because you can feel it" are the only real counter-arguments so far, I'd say I've made my point, whether fire concedes it or not.

It may of been an overstatement. You know, like saying your moms spagetti tastes like ****. It may not really taste that bad. But pretty damn bad.

Yes, a bit of a stereotype to all thiests, but a major number of them do in fact fit into my description. Fundamentalist Christians, Muslims, and a number more.
It's not an overstatement, because it's wrong at the core. To say "this tastes like s**t" is exaggeration, because it tastes bad. To say all Theists believe so-and-so, in this case, is not an exaggeration; it's false in its very base form. There is no way to scale it back to make it true. You have to fundamentally change it. It really doesn't matter, though. I just felt the need to point out the erroneousness of the original comment.

Originally posted by Monkeypunch
but isn't choosing to be an atheist an act of free will, just as choosing to worship the God of your choice is?
No, it's not. If were are nothing more than physical beings, we have no Free Will whatsoever, as I've already detailed extensively. Unless you think we have a magical Free Will gland in our brains which is not subject to physical laws of cause-and-effect.

And that's supposed to be a sign of God's existance? Give me a break...
There are plenty of signs of God's existence.

Take an antropological class and you'll be able to encounter 100 different creation myths. Tell the believers of those myths the biblical one and if they didn't believe you were from Mars before that they sure will then. How do you think all those people "found"out about their myths? They made them up! And if you think the biblical tale is different you're very arrogant.
Did you know there are multiple flood stories in various cultures? I believe the Chinese word for "boat" originally meant something like "vessel carrying eight people." And yes, The Ark contained eight people. The Bible also refers, if memory serves (in the original translation, that is) to the world as a "sphere." Far beyond its time in terms of science. Are these coincidences?

I don't question life after death, or reincarnation, or other dimensions or worlds or even some form of higher power or powers. What I question, or even strongly disbelief, is the big religions.
If God were real, why wouldn't His religion be one of the big ones? Or for that matter, the biggest? Questioning the big religions just because they're big doesn't jibe.

"c'mon, you KNOW we have free will because you can feel it" are the only real counter-arguments so far, I'd say I've made my point, whether fire concedes it or not.

Of course...

I just like phucking with you.

No, it's not. If were are nothing more than physical beings, we have no Free Will whatsoever, as I've already detailed extensively.
This is exactly why I'm not a fan of debating with you, my friend. You haven't detailed anything but your personal theory. Because of the belief of your own omnipotent idealisms, it turns your theory's into fact in your eyes. This is a subject that doesn't have any physical, metaphysical, or any difinitive proof what so ever. There is no way to "prove" your theory Chris. It will always remain a valid, well though out, and completely arguable...theory. Kudo's on the way your mind works Chris, you obsess about some very deep, yet pointless, ideas. But at least you're always asking the "why" questions.

I won't say whether you're right or wrong, that would be to presumptous on my part. I will say that I feel that you're wrong. I just don't buy it. But I may be wrong. But, please, quit saying how right you are because of your detailed analysis of the subject. Because you may be wrong no matter how logical and simple your theory may appear to you.

No harm, no foul...see??? I'm not evil...I'm not evil!!!!
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

This is exactly why I'm not a fan of debating with you, my friend. You haven't detailed anything but your personal theory. Because of the belief of your own omnipotent idealisms, it turns your theory's into fact in your eyes.
I don't believe myself anywhere near omnipotent. But I do usually know logic when I see it...and I think you do, too. And seeing as how none of us have anything but our own perceptions and logic to go by, I don't see what's wrong with following them where they happen to lead us. Following logic and reason hasn't really led us astray yet, as far as I can recall.

I don't deny the possibility that what I'm saying could be wrong. I deny the idea that there's any valid reason for believing it is without tossing logic out the window.

Kudo's on the way your mind works Chris, you obsess about some very deep, yet pointless, ideas. But at least you're always asking the "why" questions.
I honestly don't think questions about our basic natures and the origins of them (and the Universe) are anywhere near pointless. But to each their own.

But, please, quit saying how right you are because of your detailed analysis of the subject. Because you may be wrong no matter how logical and simple your theory may appear to you.
Please, consider this: what you are saying could just as validly be applied to the "theory" of gravity. There's not really a way to prove it exactly, but if we sit down and think about it, the alternatives make no sense, and the theory fits perfectly. So, it is generally regarded as fact. And, if not fact, it is certainly not DENIED as being the most likely explanation.

If someone said to me "I'm skeptical, but I realize that logic dictates what you're saying, and it's the only thing that makes sense," I'd be as happy as a clam. I'd have nothing ill to say about them at all. In all honesty, Slay, can you really tell me you find it reasonable to deny something that makes logical sense on the basis that it could possibly, potentially, TECHNICALLY be incorrect, even if you can'd possibly see how? I think you'd probably agree that neither you, nor fire, nor anyone here applies that level of skepticism to any of their other core beliefs.

Would you rail on me for being arrogant and "treating my opinion as fact" by telling you 2 + 2 equaled 4?

I'm skeptical, but I realize that logic dictates what you're saying, and it's the only thing that makes sense, well at least a modicum of sense.

(You said you might be wrong, I thought it warranted my mild relenting )