Atheistic Materialism Automatically Disqualifies Free Will

Tools    

I am having a nervous breakdance
Yeah, well... Lennon's probably spinning a couple of times in his grave every time someone's calling him "liberal".

Imagine there's no heaven...

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
If a tiger falls out of a tree in the woods and no God is around to have made it so did it really choose to fall at all?

Two words. Twilight. Zone.

Okay, first thing's first. There's been a misunderstanding...one that I'm quite surprised at, really. I'll go in alphabetical order:

firegod

This whole "atheists don't believe in free will" claim is absolutely ridiculous. I've had discussions with literally hundreds of atheists, and perhaps 3 or 4 of them have given me the impression that they believe everything is fated, all mapped out, that no one really makes choices with free will. I would take a WILD STAB IN THE DARK, and say that most atheists believe they have free will. You are trying to put words in atheists mouths, something you don't do a very accurate job of.
This paragraph tells me that you've got my claim all wrong. I'm not saying that Atheists don't believe in Free Will. I'm saying they have no logical reason to. It's similar to saying that if you believe in an omniscient God, you can't believe in Free Will either. That's not to say there are not people who DO, in fact, believe in both Free Will and God's omniscience...but the point is that they have no sound basis for that belief.

I'm sure most Atheists do, in fact, believe in Free Will. I just don't see how it make sense, is all. I hope that clears this up a tad.

I never said anything like the stuff humans are made up of is special. You are grasping so hard in this thread, that one would think your arms are a mile long.
I think grasping would be more easily defined as not having an answer, but assuming there is one. Allow me to be blunt (I mean this with all respect): I don't see any counter-argument of substance here.

I don't know about CRAZY; that's your word, not mine. But your claims in this thread don't make any sense. You throw them out there like they are fact, and give nothing to back them up. Your attitude seems to be that if I can't explain how humans are different than leaves when it comes to fate, then your claims are correct. Nonsense. You are the one making the assertions; back them up. Just because I don't know how the human brain works, doesn't prove your point in the slightest way.
I throw them out there because anyone can clearly deduce that they are fact.

We DO know how the human brain works, at least enough to know there's nothing magical about it as it appears to us: it produces electrical impulses which travel through our body. Electricity, man. That's pretty much what it consists of. There's some chemicals thrown in for good measure, I believe. Nothing we haven't analyzed before.

Let me ask everyone here something: what happens when you make a choice? Well, we know an electrical impulse of sorts travels through a certain part of your brain to another part of your brain, which transmits that signal to some part of your body, which obeys, if it is able, the command. So at what point is the choice really made?

Where do you get this?? How do you make the leap from someone not believing in a god to the things they do being inevitable? You have not explained this; you just expect us to buy it. I don't believe in fate, Chris. Please explain to me how everything is mapped out just because I don't have a belief in any deities?
I know you don't believe in fate, and for the most part, I don't either. Again: I'm not saying fate exists because you don't believe in God. I'm saying that if mankind is nothing more than the sum of its parts, it is merely more stuff reacting to other stuff. Can you name me one part of the brain's decision-making process which does not involve mere reaction? I don't see why you believe the chemicals that we are made of to be outside of the laws of physics and chemistry.

The only thing we have is the appearance of choice because no one can weigh all the circumstances fast enough to predetermine the outcome.

Think of a computer: electrical signals sent throughout, similar to a brain. Yet it has no choice at all. What do we have which a computer does not to give us genuine choice that is not predetermined by present and past circumstances?

LordSlaytan

Yes, you push my buttons. Yes, I push yours. How do we manage to not do this? I don't know the answer to that. If we follow your logic, then it is inevitable that we don’t get along.
Actually, by my logic, God exists and we have Souls and, therefore, have every reason to believe in Free Will. But I really have no major problems with you. Like I said: I know you're a good man. I like to think I know bad men when I come into contact with them. And I don't think you're one of them.

You asked the question, “What key ingredient sparks us with choice?”. The way I see it, it must be our brains. Yes, all living and non-living organisms that live on, and make up, the planet Earth consist of the same make-up. But not all of the “creations” are made the same. It’s like a potato, there’s a gratins, mashed, baked, and fried. Of course they’re all potato’s, but they’re all different in flavor, texture, and appearance.
But what makes our brains so special?

The difference between me and your leaf, is that my cells make up another organism that can act independently from it’s nature.
How can any creature act independently from its nature if we're merely a mass of stuff? Wouldn't our nature be however it is we act? Our nature isn't really defined as what makes sense...when we observe any consistency among animals, we don't attempt to rationalize; we chalk it up to being their "nature." So isn't the fact that we do things like hold onto trees when it's windy merely part of our nature, too?

We initiate cause and effect as well as fall victim to it. We initiate it with our choices and free will. A leaf cannot share this distinction with sentient beings.
If our brain is what sets us apart, what is it that sets it apart? We can analyze signals the brain sends internally, and unless I'm misremembering horribly, there's never appeared to be anything special about that.

Or, put another way: no matter how elaborate the domino structure is, when you push that first one, they're all goin' down. Complexity does not equal exemption from that. It just means more cause-and-effect on a more specific, intricate level is involved in events where our brain takes part.

Please be more clear with what your threads are “really” about from here on out. I would appreciate that a great deal.
I was hoping to see how people reacted, first. In hindsight, 'twas a bad choice. That said, I don't think your post looked "stupid" at all, as I believe you called it. As I said earlier, I thought it was well-written and insightful, and actually, it seems to have branched off into the issue of Free Will WITH God, as well, which is quite welcome.

Pidzilla

But you guys make me do it!
I think fire and I would agree that that's a very good thing.

How is that really different from hardcore "God worshippers"? "God only knows", "God will lead the way", "God will tell me what to do", "May God's will be done". Where's the Free Will in that?
There isn't any there, as far as I can see, which is one of the reasons I've never been one to say "It's all part of God's plan." In a sense, I'm sure it is, in the sense that God's plan is contingent on Free Will and therefore, inevitably, suffering.

I personally believe that God is only in our minds. This discussion is a proof of that. As my signature says: it's a concept.
In a sense you're almost right. He is in our minds; because it's the best place for Him to show Himself. In a backdoor of sorts. Through things like our moral instinct and our belief in our own ability to choose. Those sorts of things logically imply something beyond the physical world around us.

FYI: concerning the whole "Jesus ain't God, but He's cool" stuff: I don't think that makes much sense. The evidence we have suggests that He was quite clear about His claims: I'm the Son of God. So, if you don't believe He was, either He was lying, or He was insane. Neither one would make a good moral leader, if you ask me.

Originally posted by Yoda
Pidzilla

I think fire and I would agree that that's a very good thing.
Well, that's nice to know!

There isn't any there, as far as I can see, which is one of the reasons I've never been one to say "It's all part of God's plan." In a sense, I'm sure it is, in the sense that God's plan is contingent on Free Will and therefore, inevitably, suffering.
Well, if the Boss isn't even involved in his own company, then what's the point worshipping him or praying to him (or her... or it...)? What's the point of thanking God for our daily bread if he didn't give it to us? If all he did was to create this planet (which he didn't) and then just sodded off, then what the hell is religion all about? Gratitude for been given a world to screw up? Or is it all really just about "doing right" according to the bible (or any holy scripture of free choice) so we come to heaven when we die? Or reach nirvana? Or get to sit by Oden's side in Valhalla?

In a sense you're almost right. He is in our minds; because it's the best place for Him to show Himself. In a backdoor of sorts. Through things like our moral instinct and our belief in our own ability to choose. Those sorts of things logically imply something beyond the physical world around us.

I don't think that specific example suggests that there's something beyond the physical world around us. But sure, I believe in worlds beyond or after this one. But since our intelligence isn't sophisticated enough to comprehend those worlds or dimensions or whatever, we have created God to explain the unexplainable. He is simply a product of our minds. An old school UFO, if you will.

FYI: concerning the whole "Jesus ain't God, but He's cool" stuff: I don't think that makes much sense. The evidence we have suggests that He was quite clear about His claims: I'm the Son of God. So, if you don't believe He was, either He was lying, or He was insane. Neither one would make a good moral leader, if you ask me.
The line between geniality and insanity is, as we all know, very thin.

But anyway... Maybe he was lying or maybe he was insane. If I had to choose I would have to bet on the latter alternative. But does it really matter? If he is the son of God or not shouldn't matter, only his views on how to improve humanity and the conditions for the people. Those veiws are pretty far before its time. That's what I think is "cool" about Jesus.

Yoda:
We DO know how the human brain works, at least enough to know there's nothing magical about it as it appears to us: it produces electrical impulses which travel through our body. Electricity, man. That's pretty much what it consists of. There's some chemicals thrown in for good measure, I believe. Nothing we haven't analyzed before.
I don't like this statement. I have nothing to back it up... I just tend to think of humans as 'special'... you know, God's chosen ones. If you can believe in miracles, burning bushes, reanimation at the hand of God then what's wrong with a little magic? I don't believe in humans having magical powers i.e. Harry Potter, but there is something like magic about us.

PS If we DID know how the human brain worked we'd be able to duplicate one, wouldn't we?

Yoda:
Think of a computer: electrical signals sent throughout, similar to a brain. Yet it has no choice at all. What do we have which a computer does not to give us genuine choice that is not predetermined by present and past circumstances?
I DO like this one. Great argument...

Piddy:
Well, if the Boss isn't even involved in his own company, then what's the point worshipping him or praying to him (or her... or it...)? What's the point of thanking God for our daily bread if he didn't give it to us?
And this one cracked me up. Genuinely...great turn of phrase. I'm not sure I'm with you on the rest of it but that was funny as hell.

Originally posted by Toose
And this one cracked me up. Genuinely...great turn of phrase. I'm not sure I'm with you on the rest of it but that was funny as hell.
Toose, you're with me all the way and you know it...

I'm saying that if mankind is nothing more than the sum of its parts, it is merely more stuff reacting to other stuff. Can you name me one part of the brain's decision-making process which does not involve mere reaction?
No. I don't believe we are capable of understanding exactly how the brain works, or exactly how evolution created intelligent brains, or why you feel that us not knowing the answers to these questions of yours in any way proves your preposterous assertions in this thread.

I don't see why you believe the chemicals that we are made of to be outside of the laws of physics and chemistry.
Another huge leap of an assumption. I never suggested anything like that. Please illustrate to us how believing that humans have free will while not having a belief in any gods in any way suggests that humans are not compatible with physics and chemistry.

The way I see it:

If Chris is right and a God exists and we have free will then that is excellent. We have free will. Hoorah.

But if there is no God and we don't have free will because we're like leaves falling of the trees and subject to cause and effect, then cause and effect has made it so our cells react in a way that at the very least gives us the misconception of free will, and while we might not actually have it, we believe we do, and ignorance is bliss.

Thus: let us get on with our pitiful little lives. There is nothing we can do to change the fact that we're just leaves. So let us live in bliss, ignorance and enjoy the ride, dammit.

Good one Silver.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

My life isn't written very well.
ditto Silver

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Sorry for the delay.

Pidzilla

Well, if the Boss isn't even involved in his own company, then what's the point worshipping him or praying to him (or her... or it...)? What's the point of thanking God for our daily bread if he didn't give it to us?
You're implying that we should not thank God for our "daily bread" because all he did was supply us with the materials to make the bread as well as the ability to turn it into bread?

If all he did was to create this planet (which he didn't) and then just sodded off, then what the hell is religion all about? Gratitude for been given a world to screw up?
It's all based on one simple principle: existence is a gift.

As for "which he didn't" -- I find that to be unreasonably bold and probably lacking much solid evidence. For a skeptic, you don't seem all that skeptical of your own views.

I don't think that specific example suggests that there's something beyond the physical world around us. But sure, I believe in worlds beyond or after this one. But since our intelligence isn't sophisticated enough to comprehend those worlds or dimensions or whatever, we have created God to explain the unexplainable. He is simply a product of our minds. An old school UFO, if you will.
We haven't created God; clearly the idea of God is either inherent in us as beings, or inherent in the world around us.

But anyway... Maybe he was lying or maybe he was insane. If I had to choose I would have to bet on the latter alternative. But does it really matter? If he is the son of God or not shouldn't matter, only his views on how to improve humanity and the conditions for the people. Those veiws are pretty far before its time. That's what I think is "cool" about Jesus.
What does it matter? How many people do you think exist today that are simultaneously wise and completely insane?

Toose

I don't like this statement. I have nothing to back it up... I just tend to think of humans as 'special'... you know, God's chosen ones. If you can believe in miracles, burning bushes, reanimation at the hand of God then what's wrong with a little magic? I don't believe in humans having magical powers i.e. Harry Potter, but there is something like magic about us.
There's nothing hard to believe about it. I think you might be misunderstanding me. I'm saying that you have to believe in something supernatural to believe in what we call Free Will. I'm arguing in a devil's advocate sort of way; naturally I, too, believe we are "special."

PS If we DID know how the human brain worked we'd be able to duplicate one, wouldn't we?
Right. We don't know everything about it. But we have looked at it...chopped it up. It's all made up of veins and meat, to put it crudely. Even if we don't understand every nuance, we DO understand that it is a purely physical device from where we're standing. And that's really all I need to make my point.

fire

No. I don't believe we are capable of understanding exactly how the brain works, or exactly how evolution created intelligent brains, or why you feel that us not knowing the answers to these questions of yours in any way proves your preposterous assertions in this thread.
Right, we don't know just how it works. So let's go into hypotheticals: are you saying you believe in a purely physical phenomenon inside the part of our body called the brain that somehow stands outside the ol' tangible cause-and-effect all matter is subject to?

We can trace a thought, so to speak. We can see chemicals react and impulses travel. So, are you saying that one of those impulses is special somehow? Is one of those puddles of chemical doing MORE than just reacting? If so, how is that possible?

Another huge leap of an assumption. I never suggested anything like that. Please illustrate to us how believing that humans have free will while not having a belief in any gods in any way suggests that humans are not compatible with physics and chemistry.
Well, the belief in God is sort of apart from the point: it's more the denial of anything supernatural (like a Soul)...though naturally the two are roughly akin.

Humans are made up of cells and chemicals. That's IT. Every single cell in this Universe, including those in our own body, reacts to its environment outside of its own control. Give me one good reason as to why the bits and pieces that we're made up of should have choice, while all the other bits and pieces in this world are just reacting?

Silver
Maybe we don't have Free Will. I'm not really claiming that we definitely do. Just that Free Will is an illusion without something beyond the physical, logically.

Right. We don't know everything about it. But we have looked at it...chopped it up. It's all made up of veins and meat, to put it crudely. Even if we don't understand every nuance, we DO understand that it is a purely physical device from where we're standing. And that's really all I need to make my point.
Hmmmm, maybe. Would you discard the theory that what we 'see' with our eyes are veins and meat but the 'glue' which holds it together is what we call 'supernatural' or 'soul'? How can we be sure we even have the equipment to see everything that comprises something else? I can't hear the dog whistle but the sound it produces is real as hell to my dog... see what I'm driving at?

That's a tangent maybe you didn't want to examine here, and I'm admittedly off point but would like to hear your ideas on this sometime...

We haven't created God; clearly the idea of God is either inherent in us as beings, or inherent in the world around us.
Yes -- if the concept of God came from just our creativity for explaining life after death, why did some human long ago think that? How did it come to our minds? When I was two years old, I started calling my mom "the new mommy", and I told her that I was from New Mexico, that I had died once before, and I even had a name for myself. How did I come up with this? I can't remember it all (some), but that's what my mom always talks about. That's why I believe in reincarnation.

And maybe in my next life, I'll be two years old and calling myself "Sexy Celebrity".

Originally posted by Sexy Celebrity

Yes -- if the concept of God came from just our creativity for explaining life after death, why did some human long ago think that? How did it come to our minds? When I was two years old, I started calling my mom "the new mommy", and I told her that I was from New Mexico, that I had died once before, and I even had a name for myself. How did I come up with this? I can't remember it all (some), but that's what my mom always talks about. That's why I believe in reincarnation.

And maybe in my next life, I'll be two years old and calling myself "Sexy Celebrity".
And that's supposed to be a sign of God's existance? Give me a break...

Take an antropological class and you'll be able to encounter 100 different creation myths. Tell the believers of those myths the biblical one and if they didn't believe you were from Mars before that they sure will then. How do you think all those people "found"out about their myths? They made them up! And if you think the biblical tale is different you're very arrogant.

I don't question life after death, or reincarnation, or other dimensions or worlds or even some form of higher power or powers. What I question, or even strongly disbelief, is the big religions. Believe in God - I am so fine with that, maybe I even believe in him/her/they/it myself.

I don't question life after death, or reincarnation, or other dimensions or worlds or even some form of higher power or powers.
Because you know now that I exist. You were lost, now you're found in that you've uncovered the way of the right and just. Like the cockroach who gazes upon the sun for the first time, you want to run and hide but the heat and warmth and purity is undeniable.

How did it come to our minds? When I was two years old, I started calling my mom "the new mommy", and I told her that I was from New Mexico, that I had died once before, and I even had a name for myself. How did I come up with this? I can't remember it all (some), but that's what my mom always talks about. That's why I believe in reincarnation.
That's a pretty cool story there, SC. My kids used to say wacked out stuff all the time when they first started talking. With my first I wrote it off to babbling... with the second I wasn't so sure.

Originally posted by Piddzilla
And if you think the biblical tale is different you're very arrogant.
Well, that's a very arrogant accusation coming from you.

Originally posted by Toose

Because you know now that I exist. You were lost, now you're found in that you've uncovered the way of the right and just. Like the cockroach who gazes upon the sun for the first time, you want to run and hide but the heat and warmth and purity is undeniable.
I fart on you, evil doer!

Originally posted by Sexy Celebrity

Well, that's a very arrogant accusation coming from you.
Well, at least I view all major religions equally.

By the way, do you mean that it was an arrogant accusation coming from me period or an arrogant accusation even for coming from me? Look, I don't look down on people because of their religious belief. My girlfriend is a very strong believer in God and a catholic too. But I think it's arrogant to believe that your own religion is better than all the rest and that it is like the religion. There lies the whole problem with religion, if you ask me. Which I'm sure you will not do...

Don't feel - feel !!!

Hello! I never talked about religions and I certainly didn't discriminate any of them. That is why I say you're arrogant! God can be anything -- all religions follow the same path, basically. Don't you dare accuse me of these beliefs you're pulling out of your ass about me. The only thing I talked about that's not in some religions is reincarnation -- that's MY personal belief.