What Ticks You Off?

Tools    

When I spoke of the "Dumbing Down of America: as being an issue that ticks me off, I want to be clear that the public education system is NOT solely responsible for this phenomenon. And "Dumbing Down of America" is not a phrase I coined, it was the subject on one of those news magazine-type television shows.

As a society, we members of the culture of the US have allowed a certain disintegration occur. I don't know when it started, but the end result has been horrible. I have made myself perfectly clear that I am supportive of equal rights for all citizens of this country. But, I also know that, like it or not, there are certain cultural barriers that have posed issues.

We are a multicultured and multifaceted society, and frankly, we aren't doing a very good job of using our diversity as an asset. People still run around stating it's time to "reform" bilingual education. These people don't realize one very important thing: bilingual and multilingual people are going to be vocational successes now. Mono-linguistic people will be the rarity in five to ten years.

So, when I talk about the fact that our culture is "Dumbing Down", I DO NOT mean that as literally as it sounds.

I mean that far too many people are too short-sighted to see that our entire society is in flux and that adjustment to change will be necessary.

I'm just ticked off at schools in general. I do think more funding may help, but I also believe that, like all government programs, the current funding is being used very poorly.

It's just amazing to see private organizations stretch every dollar because they have to. Something like the public school system doesn't have to do the same.

I've got some whacked out views on the school system that I doubt most people would agree with, but hey, I'm sure we all agree it's not good the way it is, at least.

I think schools should have drug sniffing dogs at the gate along with the metal detectors, prison fences and security gaurds. Also, teens should be incarcerated in them until they graduate, with time off on weekends for good grades of course.

Sun~

I think if you really want to punish stupid kids, they should be incarserated in a classroom with my brother Pigsnie. An hour later theyll think mrs. tingle is wonderful .

Originally posted by PigsnieLite
I think if you really want to punish stupid kids, they should be incarserated in a classroom with my brother Pigsnie. An hour later theyll think mrs. tingle is wonderful .
LOL, PLite, you're living with him! And you still can't spell

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I don't find much wrong with my school!

I hate pop-ups.

Pop-ups (not Poptarts) irritate me too. I'm not talking about pop-up videos, which I think can be pretty funny (for like a maximum of 20 minutes). I'm talking about being on the Web, going to a site, and trying to order something on-line. Can someone please tell me why they have to do a pop-up (drop-down) box listing every state? I live in Massachusetts - I have to scroll down the whole list. If I enter "MA" (which is the official US Post Office abbreviation for Massachusetts), it brings me down to Maryland (which uses MD as its abbreviation.)

My boss ticks me off, my boss' boss ticks me off, and my boss' boss' boss tick me off. Whatever - lots of things tick me off. People who speed up on a road just to get to the intersection faster - when the light is red anyways. Cashiers who can't count back change.. they need to hit the button that subtracts your purchase from the amount of cash you give them - I could go on and on and on. That ticks me off, too

I dont know, KevinBee I think poptarts are pretty annoying too. Arent they suppose to puff up or somethin?

Other things that annoy me.
When nobody posts here for like 2 days & I have to talk to myself.
when Pigsnie wont make tiramisu
When people worsip Brock landers on joblo, they need to GET A LIFE !!!!!!
When i clean an ancient coin for like hours & hours and its a slug, THAT REALLY PISSIS ME OFFFF !!!!!!!! :bawl: :bawl:

It ticks me off, too, when I dont get a chance to be online and people think I disappeared.
Some of my earlier comments in other discussion topics have made people PRAY for me to disappear.

So what else pisses me off? (I hope it's okay to use that word ... it's said on TV shows, so I figure it must be okay..)

Stupid teachers tick me off. (Especially when they claim to be the experts...

People who make drinks with cheap vodka.. they piss me off especially when they try to pass it off as Stoli
Cheap vodka itself

No vodka at all

The results of the 2000 Presidential Election tick me off

The shape of the economy because of the results of the 2000 Presidential election

Well - looks like I could go off on a political or moral issue at any point in the near future. So, I guess I'll just go and pout instead of subjecting you to my PO'd at the world feeling.

Hehe. I have to say one thing though: arn't we better off now than we were before Bush took office? Clinton left office with the economy in a downward spiral.

You can look at it this way---the country took one good look at what was coming after Clinton left---and oops--the economy stumbled.

And Look at what his White House did to Jeffords. He lost the Senate to the Democrats.

Jeffors was practically a Dem anyway -- that's hardly an accurate representation of Bush. You know that. That reasoning about "they saw what was coming" doesn't make sense anyway, don't you claim that Gore got more votes? If so, then most people would be expecting him to win.

Even if not, you certainly can't claim that most people knew Bush was going to win. You saw how close things were.

Originally posted by TWTCommish
Hehe. I have to say one thing though: arn't we better off now than we were before Bush took office? Clinton left office with the economy in a downward spiral.
You mean--you were serious?????

I don't understand what you're asking. Are we better off than when he left? Yes, I believe so. With the coming tax cut, and thanks to the fed's rate cuts, things are looking up, IMO.

Well, looks like it's time for me to nicely "agree to disagree" with recent postings. But, Commish, PUUHLEEEZE, the economy was on a downward spiral when Clinton left office and the economy is better since Bush took office(and I mean literally "took" as in stealing when I say he took the Office of the Presidency.)

Before the election - you know that thing that happened last November but got all messed up - the economic conditions were the best they have been in decades. The USA economy was doing extremely well: unemployment rates were low, people were spending money, wages were starting to become more equitable, and it was an employees' job market. Greenspan wasn't playing yo-yo with the interest rates. Companies were in the black for the first time in years. Even the USA budget had a reserve left.

Enter the "Dub-ya" factor: George W (Dub-ya) Bush. I said to all of my family and friends that if Bush became president, the economy would freeze then fall. That is exactly what has happened. How does it relate directly to Bush? I don't know... but I do know that economic conditions have declined since George W. Bush was declared (but NOT elected really) President. Maybe the economy would have slowed whether Gore, Bush, or anyone else took office. But, I look back on the Reagan/Bush years and literally cringe. Now what's ahead? That's even scarier - at least George Bush Senior seemed to think things through. Dub-ya seems pretty reactionary, not one of his most appealing presidential qualities.

Things headed downwards before the election took place, did they not? That would dispell what you and Wart are saying, I would believe.

Oh, and if a man wins a vote, and then wins 2 recounts, and his opposition has to rely on "dimples" (he meant to vote for Gore! Honest!), that man has won.

Why would I need a tax cut if I don't have a job? People are getting laid off right and left. And as for these tax rebates coming to my mailbox? Does DUBYA seriously think I'm going to go out and spend that money to give the economy a "jump start?" Helloooo--we are gonna save our money for that rainy day when we get laid off in Bush's economy.