Chick Flicks That suprised you

Tools    

I also like Crazy Stupid Love and that might be the closest I've seen to a film that actually puts a spin on the subgenre.
Yeah that was pretty good.

I remember loving Clueless (which made it into HK's top 100). That's probably the best pure chick flick i've seen.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
There is no such thing as a "Chick Flick" or "Rom Com" that will surprise me.

Why I hear you ask?

Because it is a Chick flick or a Rom Com.

Others that suprised me where the likes of the Breakfast Club...
I don't see Breakfast Club as a chick flick in any way whatsoever?
It's a teen film, that's it! not a RomCom or a Chick Flick.
While I don't see The Breakfast Club as a rom com, it's not that difficult to read The Breakfast Club as a chick flick, if you wish to do so. I suppose it all depends on what you mean by Chick Flick. I think there's a lot of films that you've probably never considered as Chick Flicks that, to others, most certainly are.

I recently watched a Chinese romantic comedy called You are the Apple of my eye which I didn't think I'd like as I'm not a fan of watching movies with subtitles etc. but found it to be quite funny, romantic and the end was a bit of twist. Watching the movie has really gotten me into watching a few more Asian romantic comedies and I've discovered some more awesome romantic comedies from Korea as well.

I'm with others, The Breakfast Club isn't a chick flick in the slightest.

This is a good example:

In general, 'chick flicks' - as they are known collequially (although in earlier times, they were called 'women's pictures' with melodramatic themes), appeal more to the stereotypical interests of women than men. They are often romantic comedies, tearjerkers with female characters, Cinderella-like 'fairy tales' about finding love, or tales of feminine bonding (with lots of talky dialogue).

But then, the same place names Aliens as a chick flick in their list of examples...

I can't actually think of one that's memorable.

Remember the part in Aliens where Ripley fell in love with the Queen alien and they had that Will-they/won't-they romance for the whole movie??? That was sooooooo cute!!

I'm with others, The Breakfast Club isn't a chick flick in the slightest.

This is a good example:

In general, 'chick flicks' - as they are known collequially (although in earlier times, they were called 'women's pictures' with melodramatic themes), appeal more to the stereotypical interests of women than men. They are often romantic comedies, tearjerkers with female characters, Cinderella-like 'fairy tales' about finding love, or tales of feminine bonding (with lots of talky dialogue).

But then, the same place names Aliens as a chick flick in their list of examples...

I can't actually think of one that's memorable.
As I said, it depends on your definition of Chick Flick. If you look at them only as the previously know "women's pictures", then, no, Aliens isn't a chick flick. However, I think the Alien series in general and Aliens in particular, can certainly been read and thought of as a chick flick. I certainly put it in the same category as Thelma & Louise or Silence Of The Lambs, both of which are often cited as chick flicks by those with a different reading on the term.

As far as RomCom's, nothing gets better than (500) Days of Summer. I really don't like classifying films as chick flicks, though.
Really?! I wouldn't call it a romcom- more "pretentious and tedious love story".

A lot of the films which have been cited are teen flicks not chick flicks. A good example of a chick flick would be something like Bridget Jones' Diary (which I really like)- a lightly comic/weepie with some nice-looking guys in it. Generally I don't go for chick flicks at all, but that one's pretty good.

Sometimes you'll get a good example of the genre that may not be particularly deep but is actually pretty funny, such as Legally Blonde.

Chick flicks have great value for the girls who adore them and the guys who accompany them to watch it (snuggles anyone?) My personal favourites are:

Benny & Joon
10 Things I Hate About You
P.S. I Love You
Serendipity
Blast from the Past
The Sweetest Thing
While you were Sleeping
The Wedding Singer
My Best Friend’s Wedding
Never Been Kissed
Definitely Maybe
Heart & Souls
Drive me Crazy
Kate & Leopald
Just Like Heaven

10 Things I Hate About You[/font][/font]
Heath Ledger, Julia Stiles...One is dead (he done good films) and the another was in The Bourne Trilogy and Dexter.

Lismore hey? A beautiful place.

Heath Ledger, Julia Stiles...One is dead (he done good films) and the another was in The Bourne Trilogy and Dexter.

Lismore hey? A beautiful place.

I know her best from 10 things and Save the last dance

Yes Lismore... Ok place, moving soon

Precious tritium is what makes this project go.
Odd enough I really enjoyed Charlie St. Cloud back in 2010, something about ghosts and sailing caught my attention long enough to make me enjoy the film.

I felt that Girl, Interrupted was a chick flick, I don't know what it's actually labelled but I do know that it was completely different that most chick flicks. It was more dark, and maybe disturbing to some. I was told it was a lesbian film but I didn't see that at all in it. It also had really good acting and a great ending.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
It isn't a lesbian film... if it was, I'd have seen it

Oh my boyfriend mentioned it. ha ha, shouldn't listen to a guy when it comes to movies with all girls!