Independent Cinema Idea - Making Cinema Affordable!

Tools    

Hey Everyone, i'm new to this. So I'm sorry if i have posted this in the wrong section.

But was looking for people opinions on the idea i have under development in my local town, and am looking to spread it across the country eventually.

THE FILM LOUNGE

The Film Lounge is a independent Small screening cinema.

Providing the option of going to the cinema, but without the expensive costs.

THE IDEA

Unlike most cinemas, The Film Lounge will NOT be playing movies which are currently at the cinema. Instead we will be scheduling our film screenings on the DVD release date of the movie instead.

By doing this we are able to charge a very small fee to go and watch a movie, instead of around £10 to go watch a movie at a mainstream cinema, which turns out to be a bit naff!

This wont be your usual cinema experience however, YES there will be a big screen, YES there will be POPCORN, YES there will be loads of awesome movies, BUT we want you to feel at home whilst watching them! So we provide you with luxury sofa seating, so you can relax like you would at home.

By releasing movies after the cinema release this gives our customers the chance to read reviews or talk with people who actually watched the film on cinema release date to see if its actually worth going to watch.

However, we will not be just stopping at DVD release films, we will also have Allocated nights for specific genres. Playing movies from as old as back in the 50's and 60's, whilst keeping it modern and playing modern classics too. By doing this, we spread our audience to almost everyone, as there should be at least one night where everybody would enjoy.

Thankyou.

You'll get into a legal dispute when the distributors eventually find out you're profiting off of their product sans their endorsement.

I have all the licensing in place though?

With my license i am allowed to play any movie from a catalogue of movies for a charge, (the catalogue has almost every movie imaginable) I have to pay the license once every year to be able to show these movies.

I like the idea, though I'm never thrilled about the "home at the cinema" thing. However, it can't be too much worse these days than the usual audience I try to avoid.

The themed stuff is always interesting to me.

It's a lovely idea, there's nothing more I'd like than to watch films like that with like minded people, but from a business point of view can you make enough of a profit to be able to run the cinema? I'd worry that the idea would appeal to not enough people to make it financially viable. Good luck tho

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Good idea but most of us having massive decent TV's at home so we don't need the hassle of going somewhere to watch something.

I like the idea. I hate these massive cinema chains that charge you through the nose for the ticket and then all the extras and then you have to sit among arses throwing popcorn and making an idiot of themselves.

There is a great cinema local to me that's independent - you can take a beer in, watch the film in comfort, and there's a higher quality of filmgoer.

I think part of the reason for the seeming decline of cinema is not simply the ubiquity of films online, but also at the poor cinema experience now offered by many outlets.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I wanted to watch "Calvary" with Brendan Gleeson but my pathetic "Vue" cinema isn't even showing it, Only blockbusters and Kid's movies. Like they believe no one will come and watch anything else nowadays. Sad.

Hey, it's not a bad idea. I think what you want to do is build an email list of your local population so that you have a cheap method of letting everyone know what movie is playing, and what movie from your catalog they'd like to see. Get them involved. Let them vote. Let them choose what they want to see, and they'll come, I think. If someone let me watch Chinatown on a big screen, I'd go right now.

Also consider getting friendly with indie filmmakers. Have an indie night. My indie movie will be coming out in March of next year. I'd love for small local places to play it.

Good luck with the business.
Aveek