I, Lucifer

Tools    

I am the man of constant sorrow
In light of the announcement that the excellent novel I Lucifer Is to be adapted, I would like to know which actors you would think would play Satan well (this can include actors who have previously played the character)

I'll start with my choice: Cristopher Walken.

Welcome to the human race...
I would be very interesting to see Daniel Day-Lewis try it (what would be interesting would be to find out what his Method acting for being Satan would involve...)

And Walken would be an interesting choice, but judging from the reputation as a "funny scary man" he's carved out in the past 10 or 20 years, nobody would take him as seriously as Satan should be.

I keep wondering if the title to this thread needs to be changed… but then again it should be a little interesting to see what kind of ads pop up at the top because of it…

Anyway, in answer to the question…

I love Walken… and Daniel Day-Lewis is probably my all time favorite actor… and I have no doubt that, acting wise, both of them would give very memorable performances. However, when I think of Lucifer, a scene from a Robin of Sherwood episode always comes to mind that showed a brief peek at "him" and for lack of a better term, he looked like a beautiful angel... which, IMO, if such a creature did exist, is kinda what I would think he would look like... fairly young with a face that would command attention in our society…

I've never read I, Lucifer so had to look it up and it sounds pretty interesting. I also checked it on IMDb and according to them, Daniel Craig will play Lucifer… which, somehow, just doesn't feel quiet right to me…. I was thinking of someone more along the lines of Jonathan Rhys Meyers or Joaquin Phoenix...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I dont like the idea of Craig. The way lucifer is portrayed in the novel,I always imagined that one of my favorite actors
Alan Rickman would be perfect as the protagonist in a movie made of it.

A system of cells interlinked
Tim Curry

Cait's right; I've changed the title of the thread and moved it to the Upcoming Movies forum.

Anyway, anyone playing The King of Lies needs to be physically appealing. The Devil would generally, I think, take a form pleasing to the eyes, so I think someone like Johnny Depp would be a good choice. Plus, we already know from The Ninth Gate that he can rock the demon-appropriate goatee and give off that satantic vibe if he wants to. And I mean that in a good way...I think?

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I love I, Lucifer and am interested to see how a film version would be handled...especially as part of the book is about a phoney special-effects blockbuster being made out of his experiences.

Plot summary for:

I, Lucifer

God is giving Satan a last shot at redemption: Satan must live out a blameless life as a human. Slick negotiator that he is, Lucifer negotiates a 'try before you buy' period. One month. London. He has no intention of taking God up on His offer. Lucifer simply wants to put a body through as much drugs, sex, and other vices as possible.
SOURCE

I so need to read the book.... and Yoda just might be right... Depp does have a wee bit of the devil in him...

In the Beginning...
Paul Bettany would be my choice. I haven't read the book, but based on the plot summary Caity posted, I see this character as British (obviously), rockstar-ish, lanky and pasty, mildly effeminate, quick to anger, and boyishly pretty with a scariness underneath. Bettany either is or can be all of these things.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Plot summary for:

I, Lucifer

God is giving Satan a last shot at redemption: Satan must live out a blameless life as a human. Slick negotiator that he is, Lucifer negotiates a 'try before you buy' period. One month. London. He has no intention of taking God up on His offer. Lucifer simply wants to put a body through as much drugs, sex, and other vices as possible.

I so need to read the book.... and Yoda just might be right... Depp does have a wee bit of the devil in him...
Depp's already played this role!

I think Daniel Craig sounds great.

I guess my header was a bit misleading, Im pretty new to this so sorry about putting the thread in the wrong place.

I think it will be interesting to see what range Daniel Craig has.

Craig is a decent choice based on my reading of the book... He's actually going to be playing two people in the movie, and that will be the issue. He has to play Declan Gunn a semi-meek flunky writer and on the other hand Lucifer in all his pomp. The whole film really hinges on Craig, but I believe they went with him because he's younger than the aforementioned actors. I would love to see Daniel Day Lewis play this part though...

Sounds like it would be a good movie...

In the book Lucifer does not appear as himself- he possesses the body of Declan Gunn, who is an unattractive loser - to have someone good looking playing the part would be wrong surely?