Bad accent=Bad acting

Tools    

Sone of these include Rebbeca Rominj Stamos in Rollerball and Halle Berry in X-Men.

i beg to differ...Hank Azaria in The Birdcage (1996, Robin Williams, Gene Hackman) is one of my fave accent roles

Rebecca Stamos and Halle Berry are just BAD no matter what the accent!! how in HE*L did Berry win a best actress?? i still haven't been able to bring myself to watch Monster's Ball cause i'll be so damn mad if it's not worth the prize

i think she won the award because she cries a lot in the movie.

how about harrison ford's part in K19: the widowmaker????

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
On Halle Berry:

This is a weird conspiracy theory of mine, and I formed this partially because I too didn't like her all that much in Monsters Ball, or the movie Monsters Ball itseld. In any event, not worthy of an award. back to the theory, maybe the academy rigged it, or gave it away so that it would be given to two black actors along with Sidney Poitier. I mean, Denzel and Sidney DID deserve the awards, but Halle Berry? No two black actors have ever won in the same year. Very few black actors have ever won period (although several deserved to win, but the Academy rarely notices a good thing until it has passed). And to have two in the same year Sidney gets the Honorary achievment award ( I think thats what it was) for being the first black actor to win Best Actor, not to mention his numerous great performances and films? Just too many coincidences for me. No disrespect to black actors. God knows I think that their talent isn't recognized enough. Take Forest Whitaker for example. One of my all time favorite actors and in my mind one of the best. Number of academy wins, no wait, nominations? NONE. But Halle Berry? Come on. Is it just my paranoia setting in, or is this a possibility?

i very much beg to differ, as I was quite amazed by Ms. Berrie's performance in Monster's Ball, which I also thought was a great film. Ah, but we all have our own opinions. Did she deserve to win? I believe so. Was there a little bit of sentimentality involved in some of the votes for her? Probably. But still, i believe that she was excellent and very much deserved the role.

And as for accents? well, i dunno. the only person i can come up with is Alicia Silverstone, who just has an annoying voice period. but i don't suppose that's an accent.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Silverstone does have an annoying voice. I am also annoyed at the way her lips move when she talks. They kinda curl up on one side. I always find myself wondering why she hasn't gotten that fixed instead of paying attention to her lines.

Bad accent - bad acting = Kevin Costner in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

What about Sean Connery?

Not for the bad acting but the accents. The guy can only do Scottish! His Scottish-Russian in Red October and his Scottish-Spanish in Highlander are perfect examples. That said he is a fantastic actor. Can't do accents that's all.

Also Heather Graham's in From Hell. Awful, just awful.

Originally posted by Beale the Rippe
This is a weird conspiracy theory of mine....Is it just my paranoia setting in, or is this a possibility?
if its paranoia then the epidemic has spread all the way to to my room in sydney....i thought the very same thing when it all happened last year!!!

Prince Of All Saiyans
How about Arnold Schwarzenegger?
(oops, sorry, that's a real accent)

Serioulsy though, Dan Hedaya, who played the dictator in Schwarzenegger's Commando, was really laying on the bad Spanish accents as the generalissimo...

Get off my island
Originally posted by Beale the Rippe
On Halle Berry:

This is a weird conspiracy theory of mine, and I formed this partially because I too didn't like her all that much in Monsters Ball, or the movie Monsters Ball itseld. In any event, not worthy of an award. back to the theory, maybe the academy rigged it, or gave it away so that it would be given to two black actors along with Sidney Poitier. I mean, Denzel and Sidney DID deserve the awards, but Halle Berry? No two black actors have ever won in the same year. Very few black actors have ever won period (although several deserved to win, but the Academy rarely notices a good thing until it has passed). And to have two in the same year Sidney gets the Honorary achievment award ( I think thats what it was) for being the first black actor to win Best Actor, not to mention his numerous great performances and films? Just too many coincidences for me. No disrespect to black actors. God knows I think that their talent isn't recognized enough. Take Forest Whitaker for example. One of my all time favorite actors and in my mind one of the best. Number of academy wins, no wait, nominations? NONE. But Halle Berry? Come on. Is it just my paranoia setting in, or is this a possibility?
That's incredibly cynical. But it's also exactly what I thought at first too.
Hank Azaria does a lot of accents. Off the top of my head I can think of three films he has done a weird sounding accent (Birdcage, American Sweethearts and Mystery Men) Can anyone think of others? I'm sure there are. They're not bad though, iq uite like him

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!

OMG its so terrible i couldn't stand hearing him with that most terrible accent

Put me in your pocket...
I think it depends on the type of role on whether a bad accent=bad acting. A bad accent or going over the top with their voice can be fun.

Cloris Leachman is a stitch as Frau Blücher in Young Frankenstein and as the Institute Head Nurse Charlotte Diesel in High Anxiety.

Teri Garr as Inga in Young Frankenstein was adorable.

I liked Hank Azaria in The Birdcage.

And what about Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins? I've heard comments over the years from some people that his accent sounded forced and that it faded in and out at times....but he was such a pleasure to watch. I didn't really care what other people said....I still loved him in the role of Bert.

A novel adaptation.
Well, by definiton, a bad accent would be bad acting (see, the bad part is where that comes from). This would be like saying Bad acting= Bad acting.

People who are purposely over the top more fit into the good accent category.

So why post a rhetorical thread?

A novel adaptation.
My entire post was rhetorical!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Kevin Costner's 'Yat' accent in JFK lasts almost thrre minute into the film, and then he ditches it altogether. His attempt at a Bah-ston accent in Thriteen Days was horrible as well. And I wasn't sure he even attempted an accent in Robin Hood.

Connery and Scwhwartzenegger(sp?) bother me as well, since their roles never seem to call for a Scotsman or Austrian. What gives?

Put me in your pocket...
Originally posted by Herod
People who are purposely over the top more fit into the good accent category.
For the most part I agree...but as you can already see, people are disagreeing on Hank Azaria's over the top accents. Sometimes it's a matter of taste.

One over the top accent I didn't care for was Mira Sorvino in Romy and Michele's High School Reunion (1997). Her voice drove me crazy. She didn't pull off the ditzy quality perfected by Lisa Kudrow and just sounded nasally and forced.