Election Predictions

Tools    

Who will win the 2004 Presidential Election?
19.35%
6 votes
Bush will win narrowly
19.35%
6 votes
Bush will win with a significant margin
3.23%
1 votes
Bush will win in a landslide
35.48%
11 votes
Kerry will win narrowly
19.35%
6 votes
Kerry will win with a significant margin
3.23%
1 votes
Kerry will win in a landslide
31 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Official Sacrifice to Holden Pike
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelila
I'd respond to this, since I mentioned the economy, only I'm not liberal and I don't subscribe to any of the opinions you list here.
I specificly said I wasn't making claims about anyone's political affliation. So...???
I was just making a point about double standards.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Yoda
I agree with the reasoning, but when has Bush done these things?
I found his statements about "the sanctity of marriage" being threatened by gay marriage to be heinously offensive. I have four friends who have gay parents, and several gay friends. Their desire for the same rights they'd have in a heterosexual relationship is not at odds with the sanctity of marriage. It is the very meaning of the phrase.

He's also anti-abortion, which is also a moral issue. I've read the lengthy debates on that here and elsewhere, so let's not rehash that. There are many, many people who regard that as a moral issue and since we still do not know the exact moment when a person becomes a person, it is still a moral, rather than legal issue. Bush has appointed people in critical positions who feel otherwise, and I feel this is wrong.

I am having a nervous breakdance
It's plenty cool, and here's why: You can't legalize morality.
Bush is getting bashed for his religious beliefs because he's had the arrogance to apply them to our laws. That is abuse of power. The laws are for everyone here, and many of us do not subscribe to those beliefs. This country was founded on the ideal of religious freedom, and GWB's condemnation of things that harm, but that are against his personal beliefs, goes contrary to a very basic tenet of Americanism: live and let live.
I found his statements about "the sanctity of marriage" being threatened by gay marriage to be heinously offensive. I have four friends who have gay parents, and several gay friends. Their desire for the same rights they'd have in a heterosexual relationship is not at odds with the sanctity of marriage. It is the very meaning of the phrase.

He's also anti-abortion, which is also a moral issue. I've read the lengthy debates on that here and elsewhere, so let's not rehash that. There are many, many people who regard that as a moral issue and since we still do not know the exact moment when a person becomes a person, it is still a moral, rather than legal issue. Bush has appointed people in critical positions who feel otherwise, and I feel this is wrong.
*********!!!!

Rep for the first post and a for the second!!

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by 2wrongs
There would be more minimum wage jobs for citizens if we stopped flooding the job market with illegal aliens who want to drive to work and make less than minimum wage.
The reason to why "citizens" don't have those jobs is that it pays too little. The reason to why it pays so little is because illegal aliens are the only ones desperate enough to take them. If the majority of the minimum wage jobs were being held by white men the wages would most certainly be much higher. So in order for the employers to be able to keep the minimum wages down on a ridiculously low level, they are dependent on cheap but illegal labour that accept these wages out of fear of being deported.

But hey, call it free trade...

Put me in your pocket...
I'll wait to vote in your poll until after the next two debates Yoda. I'll be watching those closely. I'm on the fence and neither canidate is a clear cut winner to me. I do think whichever way it goes it will be close again though. It would be interesting if Florida was once again the deciding state.

Originally Posted by Aniko
It would be interesting if Florida was once again the deciding state.
Ill tell you what, though: Florida got a serious wake up call in 2000. I saw a heap of Kerry2004 stickers on the back of cars----far more than Id seen years prior. In fact, Id go so far to say that prior to my last trip down (forgot to mention that 24 hr drive did I? ), the Bush/Cheney stickers eclipsed everywhere.

So here I am wondering if Bush shot himself in the foot with some of his antics in office. People are angry at what him these days and they arent buying the bullcrap he's selling like hotcakes.

So yes, Im a raging Democrat (Actually, a conservative dem, myself). Sue me.

I don't support the FMA, and I'm glad it was voted down, but secular arguments exist against the santification of gay marriage. I don't think opposition to gay marriage demonstrates religious zealotry, or whatever it is, precisely, that you're accusing Bush of.

I don't follow your reasoning. Many laws, from minimum driving ages to speed limits, are inexact. This doesn't make them "moral" issues as opposed to "legal" ones. The law has to address any issue in which people may unjustly harm other people, and abortion clearly fall unders that. So I don't see any merit to the idea that the issue should be outside the scope of the law from the get-go.

I also don't see how any of this demonstrates Bush's "abuse of power" and how he has done things "contrary to a very basic tenet of Americanism." That was what you were asked about, and your response seems to suggest that the pro-life position itself is an example of these things.

If so, I'm respectfully calling bullsh*t. Being pro-choice is a legitimate, arguable political opinion, but it doesn't lay any special claim to the basic tenets of America. These are policy differences, not examples of a breach of Presidential power.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
The reason to why "citizens" don't have those jobs is that it pays too little.
Seems to me the exact opposite would be true. Continually raising the minimum wage only helps the people who are worth the new standard. There are plenty of entry-level employees who may be earning $6 an hour, but aren't valuable enough to be retained at $7 per.

Look at it from the standpoint of the employer: the minimum wage only forces you to determine who's worth the new rate, and who isn't. Where's the benefit in that? And why do we need the government to tell us whether or not we're willing to work for a certain amount of money per hour? We don't need them to tell us how much to pay for milk, do we?

Nice chart. I've got one of my own attached to this post. It highlights the point on your chart at which Bill Clinton ran for re-election. During the month of the 1996 election, the unemployment rate was 5.6%. The current rate? 5.4%. I've even added arrows to compare the two, since you seem so easily persuaded by charts and pretty colors.

I'd also add that the unemployment rate began rising before Bush had even done anything in office. The rise, you see, coincided primarily with lagging GDP growth, which began before Dubya was sworn in.

I could go on, but it'd be overkill.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	clinton-reelection.gif
Views:	60
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	3900  

I wipe my ass with your feelings
See...the REAL big thing is that they were going down OVER the years.

Uh-huh. And if Bush were running against Clinton, that might mean something.

Way to ignore the point about GDP, too, which is a far broader, more encompassing statistic for gauging the health of an economy.

Originally Posted by Yoda

Way to ignore the point about GDP, too, which is a far broader, more encompassing statistic for gauging the health of an economy.
It's undeniable that anything Bush has done is not affecting the economy right now, and will not affect us at anytime in the near future. But the deficit is ****ing out of control; in the long run, this is going to kill us.

In fact, the tax breaks would help the economy quite a bit. Of course, his refusal to cut spending is a major, major mistake and is adding to the deficit moreso.

Plus the whole Iraq thing... Yeah.

Basically, this election is nowhere NEAR as important as lot of people are making it out to be. Keep this in mind; there's a republican senate. Do you think a democratic president is going to be able to change much?

Anyway, I'm voting third-party. And I think Kerry will narrowly win. I don't feel particularily good or bad about that...

Ex-Con. Ex-Cop. Explosive

Okay, so then, he should either not take a stance, or he should agree with all the liberals...? I agree that gay rights and or abortion should not necessarily be election issues, but I support Bush for standing up for what he believes in. And I mean, hey, he's just not exactly in the minority either... although I know that doesn't appease the rabid leftists.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Okay, like it or no, the entire election is going to come down to one thing. Iraq. Kerry is going to whip Bush's @ss on this issue, even if he doesn't end up doing anything about it himself (very frustrating to us anti-war types). A lot of people don't think Bush has done a very good job with Iraq, I know that this has been thrown a round a LOT, but it really is becoming the new Vietnam, an unwinnable war being fought for who knows what reason, and well, its mobilizing people who don't normally vote to do something about it. I mean Polls are very fallible, they can be made to give you any sort of result you want, depends on who you ask. I really can't see Bush winning without help from his guardian angels in florida, and if THAT happens, I mean god help us all, cause people will riot in the streets of the sunshine state, let me tell you. History will not be kind to George W. Bush.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

How can you compare Iraq and Vietnam? Is that a fair comparison, really, historically?

Open question.

Arresting your development
This place and all of your posts have been very educational...I love it, THANKS! If you spend a little more time here, and I sure hope you do, you will find that there are more than a few individuals who can think outside party lines. A Democrat who thinks the war is justified, a Republican who think that Kerry served his country, and even some Libertarians who adhere to accepted standards of personal hygiene.

Of course, the opposite, and more typical, scenario is also true, there are apologists a plenty on both sides…but there can also be found here a great deal of folks who make up their own minds about things, who don’t need it spoon-fed to them or suckled from their respective party’s tainted teat.

Good luck fitting in, I fear as though you have made your journey an uphill one…but that doesn’t strike me as out of character for you, any of you- not at all.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
How can you not? An unpopular war, led by an unpopular president who wants to keep escalating the conflict even as the chances of victory get slimmer and slimmer.....sounds tooo familiar.

Originally Posted by Anonymous Last
even some Libertarians who adhere to accepted standards of personal hygiene.
I have very good hygiene, thank you very much.

Excuse me while I go force drugs on people and encourage rape.

How does one reply to that?

"You must be from the South"
"Can I come?"
"Libertarianism is cool"
"I don't know what that means"