Movie Tab II

Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
So would you still say it's worth watching? Just I've fancied it since hearing about it a while back and would like to catch it at some point
Yeah, I'd still recommend it. I may be being a tad bit harsh on it because I just saw a lot of wasted potential. It's really short, so I wonder why they didn't go a little further. I just wanted to know as much about the others as I did Mr. Extreme.

I'd actually like for a few other people to watch it. Even if I didn't love it, it still invites some good conversation.

Forgot to put these here too...

The Apartment (Billy Wilder, 1960)
There were times during this that I felt as immersed as I ever have by a film. I don't think I've ever seen a performance as mesmerising as Jack Lemmon's. He portrays C.C. Baxter with not only razor sharp comedic timing, but a realness and a relatability you rarely find elsewhere. The writing and supporting performances make it really quite a wonderful experience.

Beauty and the Beast (Trousdale/Wise, 1991)
Has never clicked with me as anything special, in terms of story. It feels dated and all too generic these days, in comparison to others in the Disney collection. Musically and visually it holds up, not that I would expect anything else.

Mulan (Bancroft/Cook, 1998)
A prime example of what Disney is capable of musically, this has one or two of the best numbers in their arsenal.

Tarzan (Buck/Lima, 1999)
This one still hits all the right notes for me. A favourite of mine growing up, I still love the music, the voice acting and the classic story. A beautiful example of Disney's ability to seamlessly blend comedy with drama and heart.

-------------------
OSS 117: Lost in Rio (Michel Hazanavicius, 2009)
Yes, this is essentially the same movie as the first, but all the wit and charm is still there, and it's almost as funny as Cairo, Nest of Spies.

I Saw the devil(2010)-I believe I saw the trailer for that film a year ago and since then I had it on my lap top. I can only say great movie-intense good story,trying to escape the typical serial killer cliche's and extremely brutal and violent. Maybe the best film that I've seen since Se7en

The Element of Crime (1984)

Has its share of problems that hinder my score, but it was still one of the most personally appealing movies I’ve seen in a while. A new favorite of mine, but one I wouldn't recommend to many.

Face to Face (1976)

The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello (2005)

Steampunk stylized short film. I don’t think it came across as visually stunning as it wanted to be, but it’s good enough for half an hour.

Stalker (1979)

Didn’t care for this the first time I saw it, but with no misconstrued expectations leading this viewing, I loved it.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog

Passchendaele (2008)
Directed by: Paul Gross
Written by: Paul Gross

In my opinion there are not that many well done WWI movies, the combat scenes and authenticity in this movie are by far the best I have seeen so far on trench warfare. This movie really shows how much Canada got screwed over in WWI, their casualty rating was disgusting and hard to imagine and that is what I really think was shown in this film. The love story felt like it could have been left out, I am guessing that they just needed some filler because the love story did not make me feel any different about the outcome one way or the other.

Michael Dunne (Paul Gross) get's badly injured during a battle so he is shipped back to Canada to help out the war effort on his home soil. David Mann is a young man wanting to enlist in the army to fight but there is one drawback, he has asthma, David's girlfriends father is a doctor and does not approve of there relationship so he signs a paper saying David's Asthma is gone and he is free to enlist. During all this there is the love story part between Michael Dunne and Sarah Mann (David's older sister), when David leaves for Europe Michael feels it is his job to go along and try to protect him.

This movie has some major religious undertones and overtones in it especially at the end which almost made me choke because it was so in your face. I think this movie has some of the most authentic and graphic trench warfare scenes out of any movie that I have ever heard of, if you like war films and have not seen this one then you have to watch it.

12 Monkeys

Time Bandits

The Hunger Games

Jennifer Lawrence (Winter's Bone, 2010) plays Katniss, a resolute and resourceful young woman who volunteers to take the place of her younger sister to represent her district to compete in the 'Hunger Games'. Lawrence's performance is assured, and she comfortably carries the entire film on her own, outclassing supporting acts. The Hunger Games is a critique on people's obsession with reality television, social segregation and Man's ability to kill one another. However, what stood out was its assurance of our capacity for love, and sacrifice for one another, and that is most resonating.

The Hunger Games does not pay off as well as expected in the final act. This is because we know she is the heroine, that she will be safe after all. So any suspense Ross tries to create through editing and camerawork achieves little effect. The Hunger Games may be too brutal for kids, but it remains to be a Battle Royale X-tra Lite.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011)
Directed by: David Fincher
Written by: Steven Zaillian and Stieg Larsson

I am such a big fan of the original Swedish version and a even bigger fan of the book on which all this is based, and what I base my comparison on. That was the only thing that bothered me about the Swedish movie/mini-series was that they just basically used the middle of the book and even then very little of it, so many characters were left out and so much that is important to tie it into The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest. I thought Fincher did a great job with the remake, it is almost a shot for shot remake except Fincher included so much more from the book, characters that wind up playing large parts in the trilogy.

I was curious to see if Roony Mara could pull off a good Lisbeth Salander and she did a great job, I was really impressed that she went to all the lenghts to get into character. That being said I think that Noomi Rapace did do a better job in the Swedish version. I went into the remake thinking that Daniel Craig was a much better choice than Michael Nyqvist just going on how the character is described in the book as a very handsome ladies man. Craig did a good job of playing the character but his English accent killed the part, he could have at least tried and pulled off a Swedish accent, so I have to go with Michael Nyqvist as the better Mikael Blomkvist. I thought that even though his screen time was not that much Christopher Plummer did a great job of playing Henrik Vanger. This movie was awesome and I know a lot of people disagree with me on that, This movie is really dark, gritty and just excellent. Fincher's version IMO is the better movie but I'll take the book anyday.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
The Hunger Games - I went into this knowing very little, I'd seen the trailers and that was all. After watching the film, I can honestly say I was very impressed by it. Honestly, a lot of people are going to compare it to Battle Royale, but while that film was also a satire, and featured children murdering each other for survival, The Hunger Games seemed more humanitarian and philosophical than BR's stylized "oh that was so cool!" violence and mayhem. Thumbs way up, and I'm going to start reading the novels.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Figured I haven't done one of these in awhile, so why not. Here are some of the new releases I've seen lately.

The Muppets -

(James Bobin, 2011)

It was extremely enjoyable as I was expecting. I didn't get to see it in theaters sadly like I had wanted, but I managed to finally get it from Redbox after looking for like a week. The story was just so bland though, it's really like Disney copied 3/4ths of the movie from The Country Bears, because all they really did was replace the bears with muppets. I know it wasn't exactly the same, but there were some huge similarities between the two. Still, it got it's purpose across and it entertained me. I loved how Bret Kenzie wrote some of the songs, I love his music.

The Hunger Games -

(Gary Ross, 2012)

It was alright, and I haven't read the book so I wasn't really expecting much. I think I'll just stick to Battle Royale which is a lot more entertaining. They took way to long to set up the actual games, then once fighting actually began, there wasn't much fighting at all. It was a really cool concept that was just toned down in order to achieve a PG-13 rating, because from what I've been told, the book is way more graphic than the movie was. I wish I would've waited until all the crowds died down though, because it wasn't worth waiting in line over.

Martha Marcy May Marlene -

(Sean Durkin, 2011)

I had been waiting to see this one and I finally got the chance, I really liked it. The thing is though, it just wasn't exceptional or anything. I've been noticing lately I've been seeing all these great movies, but theres nothing really in them that makes them standout or anything. It was an extremely interesting story that kept me engaged the entire time, but it's not really something I can see myself watching over and over again.

21 Jump Street -

(Phil Lord and Chris Miller, 2012)

I don't see how someone couldn't be entertained while watching this. This is hands down one of the funniest movies I've seen out of the past couple of years, which I wasn't expecting at all. It looked so dumb in the trailer, and I almost didn't see it, but I did and I couldn't stop laughing the entire time. I really want to see it again before it leaves theaters, but I don't know if I'll be able to.

Project X -

(Nima Nourizadeh, 2012)

This movie wasn't funny at all, but instead is probably some of the most fun I'll never have. Seeing this opening night was an experience because everyone in my theater was getting into it, but sadly, I don't think it'll ever happen again which makes it hard to believe I'll ever watch it again. Not to mention that it gets you excited for a party thats near impossible to throw, which leaves you disappointed.

Melancholia - N/A
(Lars von Trier, 2011)

I honestly don't know how to rate this because it didn't feel like a movie to me, it just felt real. People were just acting normal, well at least most of them, and it didn't even feel like there was any acting going on. The first part just flew by in the blink of an eye, but the second part seemed to drag to me. This is weird because most of the events happen in the second half of the film, but I was more dazed into the wedding part of the film. Kristen Dunst gave a stellar performance, with an incredible cast. The cinematography was just beautiful to stare at, I was in awe of the images.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy -
+

(Tomas Alfredson, 2011)

I was incredibly disappointed by this one, and I had high hopes for it. It just left me confused, by the end of the movie I couldn't tell who the good guys and bad guys were. I almost didn't rate it because I feel I need to give it another viewing before I accurately rate it. For now though, I guess I'll just stick with that rating until I get around to re-watching it.

Take Shelter -
+

(Jeff Nichols, 2011)

The surprise hit of last year for me, and I think that's underselling it. Michael Shannon delivered the best performance of last year, and it's really sad that none of the big awards even seemed to give any recognition whatsoever. I don't even know if there's words to describe how great his performance was. The apocalyptic visions were handled so well too, especially for a low budget film. This for me ranks as one of the best of last year and something that's very memorable to me.

Starship Troopers

One of the most fun time I spent watching a movie that has fantastic battle scenes, with a dose of satire. Verhoeven doesnt give a damn about gore- body parts are ripped out and tossed around, and soon, we dont give a damn as well. The dialogue wasnt as cheesy as I expected and there was a fair share of one-liners. The first 15 minutes felt totally unnecessary... Overall it's one of the best sci-fi movies I've seen.

Equilibrium

Another sci-fi movie that has been slammed by critics. I however enjoyed watching it for the gun battles (though they are sometimes over-the-top and so unrealistic). It does not offer anything new to the genre but is a welcome addition with some striking imagery.

Gattaca

This is one of the best science fiction movies because it is new and refreshing. Focusing on the effects and consequences of genetic modification and how future society demands the best of genetic make-up in order to secure certain jobs, this is an insightful movie for the thinking man.

Other sci-fi films that I'm watching:
Contact
Serenity

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Just posting these here along with links for anyone who hasn't already noticed them in my reviews thread

mirror
All the President's Men

An important, landmark film. Probably one of the most essential movies of the 70s. These are accolades I've seen this film labelled with for quite a while. And now that I've seen it, I understand why and would echo those sentiments. It's a finely crafted film of extremely high quality.

A great deal of the interest for me came just from learning about one of the most intriguing and important moments in American history. While I knew the broad strokes of the Watergate/Nixon story it was very intriguing to learn about it more thoroughly, about all the little ins and outs, the facts, the lengths of the investigation and who was involved. As much as it's about the Watergate scandal it's also about the journalistic process. It depicts it at it's purest core..........

Review continues here

mirror
Three Days of the Condor

+

A cracking good film. It's always nice when you watch a film that is able to match its thrills with some smarts. Along with it's glossy exterior and adventurous, paranoid tone a good deal of the reason it works is that it always remains worryingly plausible, especially in a world after Watergate. Indeed during shooting of the film many post-Watergate revelations came to light including illegal wiretaps, surveillance and killings motivated by political expediency.

One thing that I thought was very impressive was just how well the film had actually aged. The story and look means that it feels almost timeless, helped by the fact we could still envisage this going on today............

Review continues here

mirror
Dog Day Afternoon

-

Whatever I was expecting from this film, it's certainly not what I got! I obviously only had the vaguest, most basic knowledge of the plot. I knew it was a film set during a bank robbery, starring Al Pacino but that was about it. So I was expecting a tense, edgy, gritty thriller with Pacino most likely playing a bad ass. While it remains tense and gritty what I also got instead was a fairly absurd, almost farcical debacle of a robbery/hostage situation. A film just as concerned with the robbery as with commenting on issues of the time such as the law, media exploitation and views on people's sexuality.

It all turns into a bit of a circus with Pacino's Sonny as the ringleader................

Review continues here

mirror
The Conversation

+

A slow burning, taut and intriguing film dealing with the world of surveillance. It's a film that just screams of the 70s! Throughout my little 70s thriller season there have been frequent themes and issues that keep cropping up - paranoia, anti-establishment sentiments, conspiracies, technology invading our lives, alienation of the individual, evaporation of civil liberties etc - and this film features a great deal of them. Compared to much of his other work from the era (The Godfather parts 1 and 2 and Apocalypse Now) this is a much more intimate tale told on a smaller scale.

While the almost stone-age technology badly dates the film it does not dilute its power..................

Review continues here

mirror
Deliverance

Just as with Dog Day Afternoon (that review to follow later) this wasn't quite what I was expecting. Based on a famous scene I was expecting a deeply unsettling and harrowing experience. Which is probably the reason I had put off watching it for so long. And yes while there are a few moments like that, particularly that scene, and a fairly unnerving mood always lingering, there are actually long stretches of the film that in its own way are quite beautiful. Some of the scenery captured by the cinematography is just gorgeous, it looks stunning and harsh.

The acting from the four rowing mates is all very strong. Voight and Beatty are good but of particular, and indeed surprising note, would be Burt Reynolds. I always thought of him in the same kind of mould as a Mr. T, a David Hasselhoff or a Lou Ferrigno. While they might be popular....................

Review continues here

Welcome to the human race...
So it's been nearly three months since I made a post in this thread, so obviously I've seen lots of movies in the past three months, right?

Wrong.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (Guy Ritchie, 2011) -

So I gave the last one a
as well. So what? They're both about equal in terms of quality and disposability. I think I might give this one the edge over the original, though, but there's no telling, really. Neither one would ever get more than
from me - enjoyable, yet ultimately disposable.

Persepolis (Vincent Paronnaud and Marjane Satrapi, 2007) -

This story of one woman's autobiographical tale of growing up in post-revolution Iran was an absolutely excellent film - and this was even after I'd already read the graphic novel upon which it's based. Smooth animation, well-performed and pretty affecting. Highly recommended.

Easy A (Will Gluck, 2010) -

Like Sherlock Holmes 2: Holmes Harder above, this has a real "short-term amusement" vibe to it. Decently done, but I doubt I'll check it out again in a hurry.

Wet Hot American Summer (David Wain, 2001) -

Damn, what a disappointment. Given how cultishly adored this movie is in some circles, I have to wonder if I just didn't get it (and maybe some time later, I'll rewatch it) but for now - geez. I liked Role Models and all, plus I like the odd aimless comedy, but for some reason this just didn't click with me.

Delicatessan (Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro, 1991) -

This is more like it. A bizarre Gilliam-esque descent into a weirdly familiar universe packed with bizarre characters and insane plot complications, this is one of those movies I can't help but like. Well-made in just about every way, with my only complaint being that it's just a little too thin to be the kind of cult classic I'd be willing to return to multiple times.

In Dreams (Neil Jordan, 1999)

The Godfather (Francis Ford Coppola, 1972)
+
Dames (Ray Enright, Busby Berkeley, 1934)

Drowning by Numbers (Peter Greenaway, 1988)

The Godfather Part II (Francis Ford Coppola, 1974)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Play Misty For Me

Red paint as blood? Argh...

Clint Eastwood delivers his monotone cool voice performance in this thriller where an obsessed fan of a radio jockey tries to force herself into his life. She calls him and requests "Play Misty For Me". A nice creepy line that works well when it's used. It was hard to see Jessica Walter in the role at first since I was introduced to her through Modern Family, but by the end she had a believer out of me.

Eastwood's first feature, he does double duty playing the role of Dave as well. Maybe a bit too much to handle? The film lacks genuine thrills, but it's great to see where films like Fatal Attraction or Swimfan (yuck) get their inspiration from. I never truly felt his danger in the film, he was a tad too nice to her, especially after trying to kill herself in his bathroom.

Suspect's Reviews

Once Upon A Time In Anatolia (Ceylan, 2011)

So finally I watched this movie that has been appearing on many critics' top 10 list of the year - once upon a time in anatolia.

The story, if there was hardly one at all, revolves around a group of guys (police, detective, a professor? and a doctor?) searching for the location where a crime had taken place. Those who are familiar with the director's work know its going to be mind-numbingly slow. The isolated barren landscapes, lit up only by the presence of the car lights, are so vast that its hard to locate exactly where anything's buried. Every character seems to be almost uninterested doing their job, as if they've already realised the futility of the search. The conversations they engage in are about the most mundane stuff which are not related to the crime whatsoever.

Those looking for a thriller will be disappointed. This is no Memories of Murder. Dont expect any character study, nor any idea to chew upon. And I suggest drinking a cup of Ceylon tea before watching this film.