Put Up Your Dukes!

Tools    

Which type of fight sequence do you prefer?
40.00%
4 votes
At least ten minutes of martial arts action!
60.00%
6 votes
One punch should do it, or else I lose interest.
10 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Messenger from Hades' Gate
The evolution of fight sequences can best be seen in the Star Wars movies. The original trilogy consisted of rather laughable coreagraphy (my personal favorite moment is in Return of the Jedi when Leia does this really fake looking kick to a Storm Trooper rear), where as Episode 1's Darth Maul blew them all away. Now, for movies like the Matrix or Lord of the Rings, having an intricate fight sequence seems to be a prerequisite.

Five years ago (when I was obsessed with my martial arts classes) I watched movies just to see cool fight sequences. Now, I find myself unbelievaly bored by most of them (especially if there is no storyline to back up fight sequences).

What are your views?

I am having a nervous breakdance
I agree. I get bored with fighting scenes really quickly and have never been a fan of Hongkong action films and such. I remember being blown away by the fighting scenes in The Matrix and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon the first time I saw those films. But I get tired of it really quick. I saw the very beautiful chinese film Hero the other day, which is an extraordinary film in most ways, but somewhere it bugged me because I had a feeling that the whole film revolved around the fighting scenes. It was like the whole purpose of every scene was to lead to the next action scene. Those scenes were amazing but even thought they were, I felt like I've had enough after a while. As Suprression said, I wish they would just cut down on them a little... Do they have to be ten minutes long every time?

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by suppression
Now, for movies like the Matrix or Lord of the Rings, having an intricate fight sequence seems to be a prerequisite.
I love fight sequences, I personally care less about plot and character going into action films b/c I know they don't matter. The exception being in movies like LOTR, which they really didn't create the fights just to have fights they really were integral to the story, because its about a war.

Didn't see it.
Choosing between 10 minutes and 1 punch, I had to go with 1 punch. If 2-5 minutes had been an option, I would have chosen it.

Originally Posted by jamesglewisf
Choosing between 10 minutes and 1 punch, I had to go with 1 punch. If 2-5 minutes had been an option, I would have chosen it.
Sorry. . . I always do go straight for the extremes and forget that there is a middle of the road.

Actually both options are exagerated options and I listed them that way because EVERYONE is probably somewhere in the middle. I just wanted to see which side people cling to without a middle road (kinda like being a Republican or a Democrat. . . most of us are probably somewhere in the middle but claim the side we are closest to).

Get off my island
If it's only one fight, then again, middle of the road length is my kind of thing. I wouldn't mind if a fight sequence went on for about 15 minutes or so though; that is to say if multiple fight/action sequences were running simultaneously.

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!

I had to go with one punch because I tend to get bored when they drag out… and some of them are a bit ridiculous… just how many times can someone get punched, kicked, knocked down, slammed against the wall, their head bashed and keep coming back for more…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
I had to go with one punch because I tend to get bored when they drag out… and some of them are a bit ridiculous… just how many times can someone get punched, kicked, knocked down, slammed against the wall, their head bashed and keep coming back for more…
3?

Put Up Your Dukes!
How about Bo and Luke? They're the only ones I have in the house.

And they're just good ol' boys--never meanin' no harm...

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I prefer scenes like Raging Bull or Fight Club.

Originally Posted by Mary Loquacious
How about Bo and Luke? They're the only ones I have in the house.

And they're just good ol' boys--never meanin' no harm...
You couldn't be more wrong.

Daisy is a much better Duke.

While your lady friend is attractive, there is but one duke. . .

And even Daisy would agree!

Pilgrims, dont yall go stealing my nickname now, ya hear?
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	duke.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	1944  

Originally Posted by Loner
You couldn't be more wrong.
I fail to see how I could be wrong about how many Dukes (and which Dukes) I currently have in my house.

Or is it just that you think Bo and Luke are in fact bad ol' boys, always meaning some harm?

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Originally Posted by Mary Loquacious
I fail to see how I could be wrong about how many Dukes (and which Dukes) I currently have in my house.

Or is it just that you think Bo and Luke are in fact bad ol' boys, always meaning some harm?
Uh, I don't know what I was trying to say either.

It was just an excuse to show Catherine Bach in a tight pair of shorts.

What are your views?
I guess it depends on the film and what its story is. Take the extremely fun fight sequence in They Live. It was, I believe 13 minutes long, but it totally worked. Whereas the same length fight sequence within Matrix Reloaded between Neo and the 100’s of Agent Smiths’ was completely boring. Like Caitlyn said, some fights are so ridiculous because a person would probably die being bludgeoned in the face 25 times in a matter of minutes. The Indiana Jones fight sequences were always over the top, but were still believable, for the most part, because one or two blows would normally end it in most cases.

I think that many of the fight sequences in movies are rather silly, but can still be fun to watch. Yet, when a movie is entirely dependent on the action and has no story at all, I won’t like it.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I like the longer fight sequences but what i dont like is any fight sequence that is full of obvious and jarring cuts. If your going to have a long fight sequence you have to have somthing smooth and fluid for the movementas wellas the cutting.

I guess im just a fool for a good choreographed fight scene.