Whats the best Kubrick film?

Tools    

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Anywho I searched around and I couldnt find anything to do with people favorite Kubrick films. So I decided to take a shot at it.

For me, my favorite (as you can already tell) if Full Metal Jacket.The gun fights were awesome, the gore was perfect.And just the way it was shot and directed is amazing. DEFINITLY one of the best war movies out there. My second favorite would be Paths of Glory, followed by Barry Lyndon.

Kubrick was a thinker's director in my opinion.

I'd have to say his earlier work when he was at his prime I think.

1.Clockwork Orange
2.2001: A Space Odyssey
3.Dr. Stangelove

Full Metal Jacket didn't make me think as much as his other films. Films that make me think I feel of more intellect and enjoy it more. Clockwork Orange didn't let me down a single minute and it brought up a thought from my subconscious that I tended to overlook.

Regardless I think Stanley Kubrick is one of the top directors of all time, none of his films disappointed me.

The Emperor of Ice Cream
1.Clockwork Orange
2.2001: A Space Odyssey
3.Dr. Stangelove
I agree.

Yes, not surprisingly there is at least one existing thread on this very topic (how hard did you search?). Clicky HERE to be magically teleported to it.

And for the record, my list still goes...
1) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
2) 2001: A Space Odyssey
3) Paths of Glory
4) Barry Lyndon
5) Eyes Wide Shut
6) The Killing
7) A Clockwork Orange
8) The Shining
9) Full Metal Jacket
10) Lolita
11) Spartacus
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I Like all of Stanley Kubrick's Films

1. A Clockwork Orange
2. Spartacus
3. 2001: A Space Odyssey
4. Full Metal Jacket
5. The Shining
6. Dr. Strangelove
7. Barry Lyndon
8. Paths of Glory
9. Eyes Wide Shut

Never saw the Killing or Lolita im planing to

Full Metal Jacket, The Shining and A Clockwork Orange

those are my favourite films by him.

Welcome to the human race...
My three top favourites would be Full Metal Jacket, The Shining and Dr. Strangelove.

1. Dr. Strangelove (Perhaps fav movie of all time period)
2. 2001
3. Paths of Glory
4. Clockwork Orange
5. The Killing
6. Full Metal Jacket
7. Eyes Wide Shut
8. Barry Lyndon
9. The Shining
10. Spartacus
11. Lolita

Never seen:
Killer's Kiss (1955)
Seafarers, The (1953)
Fear and Desire (1953)
Flying Padre (1951)
Day of the Fight (1951)

Has anyone watched those and would recommend any of them?

It's also kind of surprising how many people have Full Metal Jacket ahead of Paths of Glory which is imo twice the movie (instead of just a cool boot camp).

Originally Posted by Tolstoy
Never seen:
Killer's Kiss (1955)
Seafarers, The (1953)
Fear and Desire (1953)
Flying Padre (1951)
Day of the Fight (1951)

Has anyone watched those and would recommend any of them?
Yes.

Killer's Kiss and Fear & Desire are both very low budget and not especially interesting, except to watch them as the hands-on learning experiences that they were for the emerging still-photographer turning film director. Killer's Kiss has a couple nice sequences as far as style and editing, but Fear & Desire has virtually nothing of merit. The other three are straight documentaries. The Flying Padre is probably the best of the lot, but they're all solid for what they are. I never rate any of them when talking about Kubrick's filmography. He made eleven true films, and that's it. Sad that there weren't more, but while he wasn't incredibly prolific in regards to output every single film he did make is so remarkable and layered we can comfort ourselves in that (over and over and over again).

And I too am always astounded by how many think Full Metal Jacket is superior to Paths of Glory. Mostly it can be attributed to the fact that comparatively few have seen Paths. Of those that have seen both and still somehow think Jacket is superior....well, they're just wrong. And nuts.

I don't want to fill this thread with clutter but I'm really impressed that some people have seen so many movies from a single director. Personally, I've only seen several of Kubrick's movies. I really liked "A Clock-Work Orange" as well as all the movies I've seen him involved with. 2001-A Space Odyssey, The Shining, A.I ( ), I think that's all the ones I've seen of his. A very talented director.

Clockwork Orange is overrated. I'm not saying it's a bad movie. Too many Indie rock lovers who try to be art-y, poetic, and different name A Clockwork Orange as one of their favorite films just because it's obscure, and those types love their obscurity. It didn't do a whole lot for me, but it was worth a rental.

I'd go with Full Metal Jacket or Dr. Strangelove.
Jeff Buckley - Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk
At The Drive-In - Acrobatic Tenemant
Air - Moon Safari

"I'm the man,"
~ David Carradine, Kill Bill Vol. 2

Originally Posted by Stellar Legs
Clockwork Orange is overrated. I'm not saying it's a bad movie. Too many Indie rock lovers who try to be art-y, poetic, and different name A Clockwork Orange as one of their favorite films just because it's obscure, and those types love their obscurity. It didn't do a whole lot for me, but it was worth a rental.
I'm not one of those types at all and I personally thought it was one of the greatest movies of all time.

I'm not going to try and change your opinion, cause one's opinion is not worth argueing over.

But I thought that Clockwork Orange's main idea was superb. The fact that we underline message, (which it most definately shows with proof.) That we are all contibutors to criminal behavior no matter what we do and we all contribute to a darker world is, to me anyway, one of the most fascinating concepts ever told on the screen.

Originally Posted by Reservoir_Dog
Full Metal Jacket, The Shining and A Clockwork Orange

those are my favourite films by him.
Agreed.

A system of cells interlinked
Clockwork overrated yet still amazing? That makes little sense.

I just watched it again last night, and it's so rich and well made....

My favs...

Clockwork Orange
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Killing

Need to see Dr. Strangelove. Also, not dissing Full Metal Jacket at all, just not my kind of film. It is an amazing piece though...

I am having a nervous breakdance
I really like Barry Lyndon. I think it is Kubrick at his best and I know it's geeky, but I am so impressed by the work he did with those special camera lenses that made it possible to shoot without any lighting. It gives the whole film such a surreal icy feeling. And the music and the costumes and the way everything almost seems to move in slow motion make it all so dreamy. Almost weightless. Eyes Wide Shut sometimes feels like this as well. Yeah, Barry Lyndon is probably my favourite.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

"I can't help it..."
I would have to say that my fav Kubrick film is Barry Lyndon
Grilled (Jason Ensler, 2006) ****
An Inconvenient Truth (David Guggenheim, 2006) ****
The Family Stone (Thomas Bezucha, 2005) ***1/2
Rocky III (Sylvester Stallone, 1982) ***
--------------------------------------------
Visit My Blog!

or, my myspace!

mine would be a close tie between "2001: A Space Odyssey" and "The Shining"

01. Barry Lyndon (1975)
02. Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
03. A Clockwork Orange (1971)
04. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
05. The Killing (1956)
06. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
07. The Shining (1980)
08. Paths of Glory (1957)
09. Full Metal Jacket (1986)
10. Lolita (1963)
11. Spartacus (1960)