If you could travel back in time and bring three movies with you...

Tools    

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Was listening to a podcast where they got this question (was too long to put it in the title in its entirety) and was intrigued. The full question/senario was as following:

If you could travel back 35 years, bring three movies from 2000 or later and show them to an audience from the 80s, what would they be?

The discussion went in two directions: show the audience something that existed in their time but had been rebooted/sequelized (SW prequels, Robocop), or, show them something that had been developed in the time between the 80s and modern day, but as they hadn't been there to observe the development, would blow their mind (the folding of Paris unto itself from Inception, Kolidascope fight from Dr. Strange).

My mind went straight to the second option, the blowing of minds. And I jumped to Avatar or Pacific Rim almost right away. It would be interesting to see how people would react to such digital effects heavy movies, especially with what they had to compare with (not sure how far digital effects had come at this point, or even if it had been introduced). To show an audience who by this time just experienced A american werewolf in London and The Thing something that could generate entire worlds and characters, giant monsters and colosal mechs.

At least, that was what I thought would be fun to show. What do you guys think? What would you bring back to show?

This might just do nobody any good.
First that came to mind: Fury Road. It blew people's minds even after the being numbed to high scale action by relentless blockbusters, the reaction in 85' or so could be joyous.

Or might be overwhelming. I don't know.

That's the thing about action this days. Showing them the final battle from, say, Avengers could prove to be too cacophonous.

Similarly, I do wonder what a modern horror movie might do to an audience from the past. Imagine the trauma something like The Witch would induced to people who were scared of Lugosi's Dracula.

First that came to mind: Fury Road. It blew people's minds even after the being numbed to high scale action by relentless blockbusters, the reaction in 85' or so could be joyous.
I watched Fury Road recently and it is impressive how much they did for real.

I've actually thought about what would happen if you could travel back in time and show an audience a new movie...but the 1980s isn't so much different than today's movies and an 80s audience would probably say 'so what, you guys in the future call that a good movie!'

But go back to the 1940s or 1930s and they would be amazed at some of our movies and probaly hate some of them too.

This reminds me of a frequent fantasy I have - that of a person of the past coming to the current time, and how they would react to everything.

My usual subject is Ben Franklin - I choose him because he probably had the intellect to understand some concepts beyond the people of his time.
But I wonder what someone from his time would think of TV - would they think it was actual living little people inside a box, or somehow understand that it was an image created in some way.

I think people from colonial times would be absolutely terrified from riding in a car - because it has both a visual aspect and a sensation of speed aspect.

Has to be 35 years and has to be a movie from post-2000?

Dang. I was going to take Independence Day (1996) to the 1940s. We all heard what happened when Wells made that radio play, imagine the riots from ID4.

Right... so... 35 years is 1982...

Post-2000 movie.

Gotta be LOTR Extended Cut Trilogy.
I reckon that'd revolutionise cinematic vision and make people think broader in terms of storytelling and we wouldn't have to put up with most of the bilge that gets thrown around today.

This might just do nobody any good.
Has to be 35 years and has to be a movie from post-2000?

Dang. I was going to take Independence Day (1996) to the 1940s. We all heard what happened when Wells made that radio play, imagine the riots from ID4.
How about screening Inglourious Basterds during the war years?

I am going back to Salem during the witch trials day and I am bringing The Exorcist, Caligula (unrated of course), and South Park: Bigger Longer and Uncut. I will also be bringing my AR15 and a crap ton of ammo, because if I did do that there would be a steak in my future. And I hear they like them well done.

Right... so... 35 years is 1982...

Post-2000 movie.

Gotta be LOTR Extended Cut Trilogy.
I reckon that'd revolutionise cinematic vision and make people think broader in terms of storytelling and we wouldn't have to put up with most of the bilge that gets thrown around today.
Damn good answer!

Or might be overwhelming. I don't know.
Ugh. Enough already about that movie. I honestly think they would be horrified by it.

If not LOTR I'd take the RoboCop remake, Total Recall remake, and The Thing preqmake-sequel-remake-prequel.

And shout at the top of my voice "This is what happens! This is what happens when it all becomes corporate!"

If not LOTR I'd take the RoboCop remake, Total Recall remake, and The Thing preqmake-sequel-remake-prequel.

And shout at the top of my voice "This is what happens! This is what happens when it all becomes corporate!"
Again, excellent points!

Why not World Trade Center? Warn them about 9/11. And Nicolas Cage.

Pretty sad that you people would rather show people in the 1980's Mad Max: Fury Road instead of something that could really benefit them.