Meryl Streep and Donald Trump

Tools    

No I think you are dead on Camo. Showing Hillary's e-mails is hardly the equivalent of getting someone elected. I hate the word police but all this has been a great example of words matter. The way Topsy feels is exactly how all this has been framed by the liberals. They want her to feel that way. Unfortunately it works because people aren't paying close enough attention to what is actually going on. It worked for Trump and it is working for the democrats.

I don’t want to get deeply involved with politics, but let me just say I think that I am both mature enough and objective enough to distinguish between my personal opinion of an individual and his or her professional ability (in any field). In my humble opinion, I think that President-elect Trump’s stated opinion that Meryl Streep is “overrated” as an actress is preposterous. She is the greatest actor (of either gender) to date. She has the talent to “become” her characters like no other actor I’ve yet to see, including the best of method actors. For example, with her performance as Margaret Thatcher she could have fooled me into believing she was Margaret Thatcher! She’s that good! It might be understandable that Mr. Trump wanted to hit back, but to make such a preposterous (and irrelevant) charge was totally inane.
Yeah, no validity to that whatsoever, and her Margaret Thatcher is one of the very best examples .

I find myself agreeing with you....and oddly enough, Trump winning makes me start to agree with Guap's idea that 'muricans are ignorant or at least 46.1% of us are
I wouldn't call it ignorance. I think Trump was mainly a gut reaction against establishment hypocrites like Hillary Clinton.

I certainly wouldn't call it rational or wise either, but it's not ignorant per se. Good effects may result from this in the long term.

I wouldn't call it ignorance. I think Trump was mainly a gut reaction against establishment hypocrites like Hillary Clinton.

I certainly wouldn't call it rational or wise either, but it's not ignorant per se. Good effects may result from this in the long term.
That's right Cob. Even if he fails, sometimes you need to take a step back in order to take a step forward, and I think a lot of people voted with that in mind.

I dont understand though,why hes allowed to stay or there not being done anything,if they think the russians were responsible for getting him elected?
Because they weren't. The reporting on this has been awful. If someone were just perusing headlines they would come away with a very inaccurate impression of what's happened. The phrase "vote hacking" is being used a lot, despite the fact that there's no evidence they hacked any votes.s

What they did do was hack the DNC and release embarrassing information/emails.

Quote from Sexy Celebrity, Page 1.

"Yes, she's overrated. I like her, but, she's automatically nominated for an award for everything she does. She never really seems like she 'transforms' into someone else when she does a role. She just seems like Meryl Streep playing Meryl Streep in a new role. She and George Clooney are the same -- in everything they do, they're the same person."

Well, we’ll have to respectfully agree to disagree here. What you are describing seems more applicable to actors like James Garner or John Wayne, for example, than Meryl Streep. She does indeed “become” her disparate characters to a degree not achieved by any other actor to date. Here is a quote from an excellent article about her from The Actors' Studio:

“This level of success did not come about by chance. Streep is a phenomenal performer much praised for her ability to completely transform herself into the characters she plays, offering deep and utterly convincing performances in a wide variety of roles. This kind of acting ability is rare indeed, but there is a method behind it and, by understanding how Meryl Streep approaches her craft, you too can begin to follow in the footsteps of the 'the greatest living actress.'"

(I have too few posts thus far to provide the link to the source.)

I said I didn’t want to get involved with politics per se, that I just wanted to address the president-elect’s comments about Ms. Streep’s acting ability. I shall just say that—like most of the “A list” Hollywood entertainers—I personally disagree with her politics. That does not, however, preclude me from being objective about her career and acknowledging her formidable talent within her chosen field of endeavor.

To all:

I once saw a television movie about a woman who was an editor at a major NYC publishing house. She’s been on a cold streak lately with her top authors having been nonproductive recently. In desperation, she decides to back for publication a slush submission by a first time author. The book is a novel based upon the foibles and quirks of his New England aunt. At a committee meeting to discuss pending projects, she receives unexpected support for the book from a fellow editor, an African American gentleman with whom she has frequently clashed. He calls the book: “an authentic piece of Americana,” despite its subject matter being totally alien to his personal experiences in life. Afterwards, she thanks the man who merely replies: “I call them as I see them.” I admire that sort of detached professionalism.

This was the point of my note. I don’t have to agree with Ms. Streep’s political views to acknowledge her prowess within her field. Quite simply, she's the best.

What would you say is Streeps best performance Don Schneider?
Although I have shied away from it here, I’m a political junkie and well remember Margaret Thatcher (and Ronald Reagan). The answer to your question is The Iron Lady, to be sure. The reason is that I was so interested in the subject matter. I can acknowledge that an actor renders a very good performance in a movie which I didn’t care for simply because of the subject matter and script. It is almost inevitable that I don't like every movie that any actor has performed in in regard to actors who have appeared in several films. I say “almost inevitable” because there has been one exception, that being Sydney Poitier. I don’t know if it is because he is such a fine performer or because he simply has inestimable taste in choosing roles, but I liked every single film in which he has appeared. (Although I thought Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner was ponderously preachy, and I have never been a Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn fan. Still, it was enjoyable thanks to Mr. Poitier’s as always fine and intense performance.)

I also very much appreciated Ms. Streep’s performance in Doubt. (Though I thought the film suffered from being anachronistic. The plot would have been more convincingly set twenty years later.)

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules
I find myself agreeing with you....and oddly enough, Trump winning makes me start to agree with Guap's idea that 'muricans are ignorant or at least 46.1% of us are

Ya, I was blowing off steam, and I'm very steamed about Trump. No I don't actually think everyone who voted for Trump is ignorant, more like 'uninformed voters' is the correct, err I mean PC term. They might be very intelligent but not aware of the dangers a president like Trump represents.

Although I have shied away from it here, I’m a political junkie and well remember Margaret Thatcher (and Ronald Reagan). The answer to your question is The Iron Lady, to be sure. The reason is that I was so interested in the subject matter. I can acknowledge that an actor renders a very good performance in a movie which I didn’t care for simply because of the subject matter and script. It is almost inevitable that I don't like every movie that any actor has performed in in regard to actors who have appeared in several films. I say “almost inevitable” because there has been one exception, that being Sydney Poitier. I don’t know if it is because he is such a fine performer or because he simply has inestimable taste in choosing roles, but I liked every single film in which he has appeared. (Although I thought Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner was ponderously preachy, and I have never been a Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn fan. Still, it was enjoyable thanks to Mr. Poitier’s as always fine and intense performance.)

I also very much appreciated Ms. Streep’s performance in Doubt. (Though I thought the film suffered from being anachronistic. The plot would have been more convincingly set twenty years later.)
You have good taste! I'm not a fan of Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn, though both are excellent actors just not my cup of tea. Now Merly Streep is a national treasure. The fact that Trump insulted her acting over her negative comments about him, shows the man is emotionally unstable and unfit to be president. A president has to have a cool head and be above calling names, just because he was criticized, doesn't mean he has to lash out like a 4 year old. The more I learn of Trump the more I despise him.

Anyone that would turn on an old woman who has done so much for charities, the industry, and even the craft of acting itself....well theyre opinion is lessened going forward.

What she spoke about was plain decency. If you feel threatened or insulted by her words then you are the problem.

I dont think she even mentioned Trumps name, but everyone knew.

Anyone that would turn on an old woman who has done so much for charities, the industry, and even the craft of acting itself....well theyre opinion is lessened going forward.

What she spoke about was plain decency. If you feel threatened or insulted by her words then you are the problem.

I dont think she even mentioned Trumps name, but everyone knew.
I totally agree with the sentiment of your post but I do want to give a little push back and see where everyone stands with the link below. Interested to know where we draw the line on name calling and making fun of people.

I totally agree with the sentiment of your post but I do want to give a little push back and see where everyone stands with the link below. Interested to know where we draw the line on name calling and making fun of people.
I watched the video clip and my take is: it's art.

It was a performance and Meryl Streep is an artist. Also she's an American citizen and entitled to voice her opinions. I don't hold to the idea that celebrities shouldn't have a voice. But mostly I seen it as brilliant theater.

Before making Citizen Kane, Orson Welles directed a biting satire of Fascism with his stage play of Caesar in 1937. I think Orson would have approved of Meryl's performance. It was cutting edge, provocative and she showed true talent. Besides Trump should approve of her performance too, as he's all for letting it hang out, so to speak.

Thats hilarious! She's such a non-overrated actress to where she probably pulled it off better than Alec Baldwin too.

I mean seriously guys, no President is immune to mockery - None! Not Lincoln, JFK, Reagan, Clinton, Obama - nobody! Donald Trump is going to make a target out of himself like no President before ever has before.

He will get picked on. He will get criticized. They wont be wrong all the time.

Fair enough to both Tongo and Citizen. Where I think the line gets blurry is he is being called to task for making fun of someone with whom he disagrees. Specifically this man wrote things about Trump. Streep's performance was not in good fun. She is mocking someone with whom she has a big problem with. Then she is admonishing him for doing what is essentially the same thing. Different setting, different decorum, but she is mocking him because she disagrees with him and she is not mocking his policies. She is mocking the fact that he is fat and bald. I have heard people call Streep's speech important. I'm not sure I line up with that thinking. Bit of opinion hypocrisy going on here.

Fair enough to both Tongo and Citizen. Where I think the line gets blurry is he is being called to task for making fun of someone with whom he disagrees. Specifically this man wrote things about Trump. Streep's performance was not in good fun. She is mocking someone with whom she has a big problem with. Then she is admonishing him for doing what is essentially the same thing. Different setting, different decorum, but she is mocking him because she disagrees with him and she is not mocking his policies. She is mocking the fact that he is fat and bald. I have heard people call Streep's speech important. I'm not sure I line up with that thinking. Bit of opinion hypocrisy going on here.
I dont get it Sean, Trump mocks people constantly. If mockery exists for any positive purpose it would be to quell bullies, like Trump.

He showed long ago he isnt about "rising above" his detractors. He has put more work into gaining peoples ire rather than earning their sympathy. Life isnt fair, lets not bugger ourselves with our own ethics when there actually is a real agitator. She isnt.

I dont get it Sean, Trump mocks people constantly. If mockery exists for any positive purpose it would be to quell bullies, like Trump.

He showed long ago he isnt about "rising above" his detractors. He has put more work into gaining peoples ire rather than earning their sympathy. Life isnt fair, lets not bugger ourselves with our own ethics when there actually is a real agitator. She isnt.
He is emblematic of a perversion in our culture. That's why he was elected. To point the finger solely at him and not look inward to figure out how someone like this became this powerful will doom us to similar fates in the future. Anyone who thinks they are off the hook for what I'm talking about because they didn't vote for him or disagree with his policies is dead wrong. We have a big problem right now and it won't be solved by voting for someone else in four years.

Where I think the line gets blurry is he is being called to task for making fun of someone with whom he disagrees....She is mocking someone with whom she has a big problem with. Then she is admonishing him for doing what is essentially the same thing. Different setting, different decorum, but she is mocking him because she disagrees with him and she is not mocking his policies...
Normally I would agree that it's hypocrisy....and that would be the case if between private citizens or even on a discussion board. But no president deserves quarter.
They're not royalty, and it would be unhealthy for our democracy not to mock them.

It's an American institution to blast the President. All the president's that I can remember were mocked. I remember Chevy Chase making President Gerald Ford look like a stumbling buffoon. If Trump can't deal with a Hollywood actress, how in the hell is he going to deal with North Korea, Russia and our nukes?