Meryl Streep and Donald Trump

Tools    

I don’t want to get deeply involved with politics, but let me just say I think that I am both mature enough and objective enough to distinguish between my personal opinion of an individual and his or her professional ability (in any field). In my humble opinion, I think that President-elect Trump’s stated opinion that Meryl Streep is “overrated” as an actress is preposterous. She is the greatest actor (of either gender) to date. She has the talent to “become” her characters like no other actor I’ve yet to see, including the best of method actors. For example, with her performance as Margaret Thatcher she could have fooled me into believing she was Margaret Thatcher! She’s that good! It might be understandable that Mr. Trump wanted to hit back, but to make such a preposterous (and irrelevant) charge was totally inane.

I don't care about his opinion, but I don't care about hers either. I hate it when people use their celebrity status to speak out politically.

Cricket,

Agreed. But my stated assessment of Ms. Streep's talent stands as written.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Usually, I don't like celebs using their status to get involved in political matters either. But Streep dragged that ass, and deservedly so, the man's ego has swelled so much I'm surprised the USA can even accommodate it. Yet his reaction proved her point, he used his status to belittle her, and her accomplishments, and yet he's meant to represent her and her interests.

Also, the reactions of Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn were utterly priceless thing is, I doubt they would have been able to have responded even if they had an opportunity to, she was spot on regarding pretty much everything.

I also don't believe for one second that he wasn't imitating that disabled reporter either, which I've seen some people argue around the internet. Regardless, even if he didn't, there was a nasty, malicious intent in his actions.

Yea I think Streep is amazing, but I still say she should stick to acting. I think it's rather pompous of her to think people care about her opinion. I would even call it irresponsible due to the suckers that do.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Yea I think Streep is amazing, but I still say she should stick to acting. I think it's rather pompous of her to think people care about her opinion. I would even call it irresponsible due to the suckers that do.
Yeah, when you put it like that, I can definitely see why people were put off...

But I think she used a platform where she knew people were watching her to deliver an important point, especially regarding the freedom of the press.

She's rated really highly, so it wouldn't take much for her to be overrated. Heck, she could be the greatest living actress and still kinda be overrated.

That said, it's not like the slight was really considered. Trump insults anyone who isn't nice to him out of pure reflex. We've already thought about it way more than he did.

She's rated really highly, so it wouldn't take much for her to be overrated. Heck, she could be the greatest living actress and still kinda be overrated.

That said, it's not like the slight was really considered. Trump insults anyone who isn't nice to him out of pure reflex. We've already thought about it way more than he did.
You are an extremely perceptive individual!

Woody Allen is a pedophille
I don't care about his opinion, but I don't care about hers either. I hate it when people use their celebrity status to speak out politically.
I completely agree. And imagine if someone had stood on stage and supported Trump, they would have been completely bashed. I think that it is somewhat hypocritical.

I think the country should use the next four years for a little introspection. Trump is a vile human being created by a vile culture. The prevalent thought seems to be it is ok to make fun of people if we disagree with their opinion strongly enough. If we agree with them we take offense to their words. I agree with what Streep said whole heartedly. I find it very hard to take her seriously when she dressed like fat, bald, orange Trump. One act is deemed reprehensible, the other hilarious. I'm sure all the people who disagree with Trump's opinions will be in here to tell me how different these things are. We just need to stop already. As usual, I am freaking exhausted.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I love Meryl. I love her in movies.. Even outside of movies, if i had to look at every actress, to me, she's the most beautiful, seems good-hearted, etc...

I don't mind anyone sharing whatever they want, but I find it suspect to attack one guy, while Hillary has already done worse, but made her out to be so great. Phony liberals make me want to enjoy Trump's victory.

I find Streep overrated. She's good but she has never completely blew me away like i always expect her too from her reputation, i find her remarkably consistent more than particularly outstanding from what i've seen from her anyway.

Yeah screw Trump tho.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Whether it's the big screen, DVD or TV, I pay and support actors to pretend they are Walter White, Miranda Priestly, Governor Mike Morris, etc. I don't care what their personal opinions and agendas are. The only thing they can accomplish with their hissy fits, is to turn me off of their acting, as they become real life political prima donnas. I'm sure there are also those who will like them more for their antics. It's simple, if they have the right to drag politics into entertainment, Trump has the right to drag entertainment into politics.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Yeah screw Trump tho.
Well, at least we half agree.

Streep is my Predict-a-Death prediction for shocking death of 2017. Coming from the man who told everyone Carrie Fisher would die back in April. She's already off to a bad start. I noted the fact that she "lost her voice" during that speech. Health problem?

Yes, she's overrated. I like her, but, she's automatically nominated for an award for everything she does. She never really seems like she "transforms" into someone else when she does a role. She just seems like Meryl Streep playing Meryl Streep in a new role. She and George Clooney are the same -- in everything they do, they're the same person.

I like the fact that we're going to have a President who has no qualms saying, "Meryl Streep is overrated!" on Twitter. If for no other reason, he earned my vote just because he said that.