John Wick: Chapter Two

Tools    

First one was badass. Hope sequel is great too

Must be doin sumthin right
This looks pretty good. I liked the Keanu Reeves shooting people in the head set pieces in the first movie but all the hitman backstage community world building stuff was lame and goofy in a bad way so I hope there's less of that in this one

Welcome to the human race...
The hell you say, the world-building gave it a much-needed helping of personality to help distinguish it from all the usual "guy with a gun" movies.

Must be doin sumthin right
Yeah I guess most people liked those parts. Really though the movie had enough of a personality already with the unique action, Reeves' deadpan, the goofy Russian accents, the random offbeat stuff like the whole thing being about avenging a dead dog, etc.

But then every time it went back to that assassin hotel man it had me rolling my eyes

Didn't like the first one too much. This one seems to want to creat a better and more elegant story by the quick look I took on the trailer... if succeeded it might be really good. Nevertheless, I kind of look forward to it despite not liking the first.

I really loved the first John Wick. I don't think it needed a sequel, but if it's on par with the first film, I'm certainly not going to complain. Even if early reviews are bad, I'm still going to be there opening night haha.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I was hoping someone made a thread.

The first was really good. Hands down, the best part was him driving the Mustang in IMAX.

Rumor has it this time a couple Italians step on a cockroach in his driveway to spark his rampage.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Really liked this movie. The fight scenes, the back drop, the worldbuilding with the establishing of the Continental Hotel and it's rules (and penalties). Really the one thing that bugged me was how Perkin was dumb enough just to walk up to a meeting where she must have known she'd be killed. She broke the rules and she should have been aware of what that ment. The only thing I can think of to explain it is that noone had been stupid enough to break the rules in such a long time that they couldn't recall the last time someone recived such penalties, and therefore maybe thought it to be more of a threat rather than something actually practised. Either that, or she got an ego big enough to choke a donkey with.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
First one was rubbish, so can't say i'm looking forward to this.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

Really the one thing that bugged me was how Perkin was dumb enough just to walk up to a meeting where she must have known she'd be killed. She broke the rules and she should have been aware of what that ment. [...] Either that, or she got an ego big enough to choke a donkey with.
It wasn't just her, but Iosef as well. The younger characters were flippant and couldn't be bothered with the established rules, and I think that was completely intentional.

First one was rubbish, so can't say i'm looking forward to this.
Hmm...

If ime honest i thought the whole story was pretty stupid. John Wick (Keanu Reeves) an Ex hitman goes on a crazy killing spree hunting down the guy's that killed his beloved dog, seriously... His dog. Okay, i know the dog was a gift left from his dead wife to keep him company, but c'mon he had the dog about a day. I don't know why the story just didn't focus on having his wife being murdered, i mean.. the story involves her being dead anyway and it would certainly justify John Wick killing 60,000 people with 60,000 bullets.

If i had to highlight something positive about John Wick then i'd have to say the action was pretty good. Its extremely violent, with non stop action throughout. Which is wierd because thats something i really enjoy from a movie, but due to its weak ass story the movie just feels to silly and to over the top.
I mean, coming from someone with a Deadpool avatar who also gave Suicide Squad four out of five, I'm not sure that I really follow your reasoning for hating John Wick here. I'd argue the story is better for not being the umpteenth version of "guy gets revenge for murdered wife", which is a bad and tired trope these days. I'll just quote what I wrote when Omni brought up the same thing...

I don't necessarily see him as "replacing" his first dog at the end. The first dog wasn't just supposed to be a normal gift from Helen to John, it was also supposed to help him with the grieving process by giving him something to care for while also not leaving him on his own after she dies. The fact that that got prematurely taken away from him - not just because it was an innocent puppy dying a violent death for no good reason, but also his last connection to his dead wife - is what really drove him to exact his vengeance on the underworld in order to make things right and help him process his loss. Him picking up another dog (and not just any dog, but a pitbull - a breed with an unfair reputation for being violent and one that's very far removed from his original beagle, which works because he's not just replacing the dog with an identical one - that's due to be put down) is supposed to indicate that he's finished grieving over his wife and his first dog and is ready to move on with his life. It's not going to have the exact same sentimental value as the first dog, sure, but that doesn't mean he has to abandon dogs completely - if anything, the fact that he willingly adopts a dog instead of passively receiving one as a gift only suggests that he's once again taking charge of a life that had been thrown into chaos by forces beyond his control. All things told, a good conclusion.

What'd they kill the other dog?

*watches trailer*

Ehhh... AND Laurence Fishburne? Cadn't we have left the dog out?

The hell you say, the world-building gave it a much-needed helping of personality to help distinguish it from all the usual "guy with a gun" movies.
Yeah.

Yeah I guess most people liked those parts. Really though the movie had enough of a personality already with the unique action,
Whut.

Originally Posted by Upton
Reeves' deadpan,
Wut.

the goofy Russian accents,
Wat.

the random offbeat stuff like the whole thing being about avenging a dead dog, etc.
WAT.

But then every time it went back to that assassin hotel man it had me rolling my eyes
Your avatar keeps throwing me off and makin' me think you're Swan. Swan's not so easy.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
I mean, coming from someone with a Deadpool avatar who also gave Suicide Squad four out of five, I'm not sure that I really follow your reasoning for hating John Wick here. I'd argue the story is better for not being the umpteenth version of "guy gets revenge for murdered wife", which is a bad and tired trope these days. I'll just quote what I wrote when Omni brought up the same thing...
I'd like to state for the record that I don't share Optimus's denigration of the plot, I thought it was serviceable for what it was. My issue is with the... tepid (can't think of a better word at the moment) conclusion where he replaces the dog. I thought the dog was a sufficient catalyst for the events, I just wish they didn't use a dog.

Bit from my review:

We spend almost double the standard 15 minute sell-me window to root this movie in an emotional well before we really get our first shootout and by then we've fairly established the characters, their motives, and the excuse to hit puree with the rest of the movie. The conflict is established fairly well. I really can't complain.

I'd like to state for the record that I don't share Optimus's denigration of the plot, I thought it was serviceable for what it was. My issue is with the... tepid (can't think of a better word at the moment) conclusion where he replaces the dog. I thought the dog was a sufficient catalyst for the events, I just wish they didn't use a dog.
I know you didn't, but it's good to clarify.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Hmm...

Completely different movies. Deadpool is a movie that doesn't take itself serious and thats a whole part of the fun.

Completely different movies. Deadpool is a movie that doesn't take itself serious and thats a whole part of the fun.
Speak for yourself. Just because the movie where a secret society of assassins has their own rules about hotels and gold coins doesn't have its protagonist mugging to the camera every ten seconds doesn't mean it's taking itself too seriously either.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Speak for yourself. Just because the movie where a secret society of assassins has their own rules about hotels and gold coins doesn't have its protagonist mugging to the camera every ten seconds doesn't mean it's taking itself too seriously either.
The whole movie is serious. The whole dog plot is a joke, and the character himself has nothing going for him at all. Boring isn't even the word i'd use to describe Keanu Reeves performance.