'Star Wars' from the perspective of the Empire???

Tools    

"You just want to argue with everything I say."

"That's absurd, what an absolute generalization."

"See, you're doing it right now!"

"I will stab you in the SOUL."

"You just want to argue with everything I say."

"That's absurd, what an absolute generalization."

"See, you're doing it right now!"

"I will stab you in the SOUL."
I know it's neither the time nor the place, but I always love the argument clinic sketch...

Welcome to the human race...
In a general sense, I don't think people change their minds from online discussions.

Although, I will admit that my views on some subjects have "evolved" after debates and reading the views of others.

This reminds me of a friend who told me, "You just want to argue with everything I say," and I responded that at least it meant I was listening, and since I was listening then I would be ruminating on what they said later. And I would. For everyone I'd debate, I'd later reflect on their views and what they had to say ... and in some way, their views would have an impact. They may not make me change my mind, but they would enlighten me to consider the thoughts, positions & perspectives of others.

For forums like this - I think the arguing is part of the fun. I think people come here to express themselves, argue with the expressions of others, get feedback and socialize (it's so much easier in a virtual realm rather than with "real" people face to face - there's so much preparation involved.... bathing, shaving, dressing, making sure you smell nice, etc.)
Ideally, that would be the case where one side doesn't necessarily have to "win" but people on both sides can at least grow a little from the experience. The idea that one side must "win" over the other (regardless of whether or not it is genuinely right) is inherently damaging to the idea of discourse because then the act of debating become less about being receptive to other viewpoints as it is about forcing others to see your viewpoint no matter what. OP's stance towards debating apparently leans towards the latter as they don't engage with those who straight-up disagree (or at least don't engage to any worthwhile degree - case in point, their post about the word "dissenters"). I don't necessarily agree with the idea of debating being "fun" - that may be the case if we're talking something trivial like who would win in a fight between Batman and Superman but I think if the topic gets a little more serious then I question anyone who gets into heated debates simply for fun because it implies that they have no interest in proper discussion beyond amusing and/or validating themselves.

All good points, Iroquois. I enjoy debating at times, but I pretty much stick to subjects I'm either interested in or feel passionately about. I don't argue with people just to argue, however, I find agreeing usually makes for very short conversations.

Ideally, that would be the case where one side doesn't necessarily have to "win" but people on both sides can at least grow a little from the experience. The idea that one side must "win" over the other (regardless of whether or not it is genuinely right) is inherently damaging to the idea of discourse because then the act of debating become less about being receptive to other viewpoints as it is about forcing others to see your viewpoint no matter what. OP's stance towards debating apparently leans towards the latter as they don't engage with those who straight-up disagree (or at least don't engage to any worthwhile degree - case in point, their post about the word "dissenters"). I don't necessarily agree with the idea of debating being "fun" - that may be the case if we're talking something trivial like who would win in a fight between Batman and Superman but I think if the topic gets a little more serious then I question anyone who gets into heated debates simply for fun because it implies that they have no interest in proper discussion beyond amusing and/or validating themselves.
Agreed, but I would say that I enjoy discussions of bigger topics too (though it requires someone equally competent to handle that sort of discussion calmly and rationally) because that sort of deeper, more serious discourse can be a challenge.

My religious debate with Yoda has been very revealing and has forced me to re-evaluate some of my stances and I'm glad for it.

But that's obviously Rebel propaganda according to the OP.
I have seem this argument more than once on the internet. However, after thinking about it I concluded the Empire was evil based on their actions in the movies. More specifically, on their use of weapons of mass destruction to keep order in their own territories: that's like the US government using nukes on it's own cities in order to keep the states from trying to rebel. Of course, that is fundamentally different from an open rebellion where the rebel parts are technically enemies.

Stalin, by the way, is someone who did something like this back in the 1930's in Ukraine: he killed 4-5 million people there from hunger in order to keep the region under tight Soviet control.

In Brazil nobody regards the Allied bombings of Dresden, Tokyo, Hiroshima, and Nagasaki as legitimate.

Could this have something to do with the fact that a significant portion of Brazil's current ruling-class are the direct descendants of one or more clone of a former German leader, bred in Nazi controlled towns like Candido Godoi, Brazil and Bariloche, Argentina, or even produced more conventionally (through sex) by one of the many German leaders, such as Josef Mengele, who escaped to Brazil??? Even though these people are clones, descendants, or the descendants of clones, it makes sense that they would object to the destruction of the cities controlled by their 'original', or allies of the 'original' for selfish reasons since the destruction of these cities diminished the power of their 'original' and his allies...

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force. ~Ayn Rand

Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis!!! Si vis pacem, para bellum!!!

Oh noo not again.........

Once you destroy a planet of peaceful defenseless inhabitants, you are the "bad guy".

If you feel any code of ethics or laws override that reality, you-need-help.

Could this have something to do with the fact that a significant portion of Brazil's current ruling-class are the direct descendants of one or more clone of a former German leader, bred in Nazi controlled towns like Candido Godoi, Brazil and Bariloche, Argentina, or even produced more conventionally (through sex) by one of the many German leaders, such as Josef Mengele, who escaped to Brazil??? Even though these people are clones, descendants, or the descendants of clones, it makes sense that they would object to the destruction of the cities controlled by their 'original', or allies of the 'original' for selfish reasons since the destruction of these cities diminished the power of their 'original' and his allies...
Oh, for the love of...

Consider the possibility that the Brazilians are willing to recognise that the Allies were simply not justified in carrying out such devastating attacks against civilian targets, which is a perfectly reasonable perspective that has nothing to do with Nazi clone conspiracies (which means you've invoked Godwin's Law and are now somehow even harder to take seriously).

Also, try acknowledging the rest of the thread sometime.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
Consider the possibility that the Brazilians are willing to recognise that the Allies were simply not justified in carrying out such devastating attacks against civilian targets,
Iroquois' Razor.

Oh, for the love of...you've invoked Godwin's Law

Actually, as the included graphic was meant to show, Poe's Law, and not Godwin's Law was to be applied to the 'Boys From Brazil' post, especially since it makes reference to a conspiracy theory popularized by a movie on a movie forum.

Any sane person should be able to figure out that 'WWII' never happened and what we see was filmed on sound stages by men like Steven Spielberg (staring Tom Hanks)....

(This is Poe's Law, again)...

You'll forgive me if I didn't immediately recognise signs of Poe's Law, but considering the other posts you've already made in this thread it is very hard to tell exactly what you may or may not take seriously.

You'll forgive me if I didn't immediately recognise signs of Poe's Law, but considering the other posts you've already made in this thread it is very hard to tell exactly what you may or may not take seriously.
NO FRIGGEN' KIDDING.

I saw one theoretical paper, likening the Jedi to a religious cult.

Luke, a good hardworking boy in a rural area, leaves his home in flames to follow a old man who believes that his religion (that no one has ever heard of) is the one true way. At the will of the old man, Luke fights against his government (the empire) and ends up killing his own father.

Thats that story of a hell of a lot of cults.

Im not saying the empire is good, just saying that right and wrong is relative to your viewpoint.

I saw one theoretical paper, likening the Jedi to a religious cult.

Luke, a good hardworking boy in a rural area, leaves his home in flames to follow a old man who believes that his religion (that no one has ever heard of) is the one true way. At the will of the old man, Luke fights against his government (the empire) and ends up killing his own father.

Thats that story of a hell of a lot of cults.

Im not saying the empire is good, just saying that right and wrong is relative to your viewpoint.
As if anyone would really bump this turd of a thread

As if anyone would really bump this turd of a thread
He's got a point, the story can be spun negatively (like lotsa stories).

My dig is the "right and wrong is relative to your viewpoint" part. The hell it is.

This is incredible, it's like the most bigoted thing I ever read in my life. It's more moronic than anything else I read on the internet and that's quite a feat. As I quote Einstein below:

Never doubt the immensity of human stupidity.

And then Americans complain why the world thinks they are ignorant.

Jesus Christ, Guap. He's so obviously a troll, if you couldn't tell from this absurd thread and his posts in it then he also made multiple posts saying Bill Clinton got his daughter pregnant.

I'm lost...