Your Favorite Thrillers?

Tools    

There seems to be a lot of conceptions on this thread regarding what a "thriller" is.
Would be interesting to hear what definition people have of thrillers? To me there are pure thrillers, but also sci-fi thrillers, and mystery thrillers, etc. Detective stories are usually in the genre of thrillers, but so can heist films be as well. Muddy waters!

Here's what seems like a pure brilliant thriller, new movie coming soon called A CURE FOR WELLNESS, looks just amazing to me, check out the trailer!

Boldly going.
According to Filmsite.org, a thriller is:
"Types of films known to promote intense excitement, suspense, a high level of anticipation, ultra-heightened expectation, uncertainty, anxiety, and nerve-wracking tension. Thriller and suspense films are virtually synonymous and interchangeable categorizations, with similar characteristics and features."
Furthermore,

"Thrillers are often hybrids - there are lots of varieties of suspense-thrillers:
action- or adventure- thrillers
sci-fi thrillers (such as Alien (1979))
crime-caper thrillers (such as The French Connection (1971))
western-thrillers (such as High Noon (1952))
film-noir thrillers (such as Double Indemnity (1944))
even romantic comedy-thrillers (such as Safety Last (1923))"
In comparison to Horror:
"Another closely-related genre is the horror film genre (e.g., Halloween (1978)), also designed to elicit tension and suspense, taking the viewer through agony and fear."
The problem with the last distinction is it repeats the word "tension" from the actual definition of thriller above. To me, horror involves either significant gore, a supernatural element, and/or a quick succession of serial murders. Thrillers are more about avoiding danger (or if it's a mystery, exposing the danger and the culprit), whereas horror puts you right in the thick of the danger.

Boldly going.
Ultimately, the distinction between "thriller" and "horror" is how the movie makes the audience feel. If you feel "thrilled," it's a thriller. If you feel "horrified", it's horror. For example, the movie "Cujo" might horrify some people, but it doesn't horrify me, it jut scares me. The movie "Psycho" - on the other hand - horrified me the first time I saw it; but on repeated viewings, it just thrills me.

Two great views on the definition of a thriller, one perhaps more intellectual and the other one emotional - I sign up for both views.

RED SPARROW, new thriller coming 2017 with Jennifer Lawrence, story sounds promising: A sexy Russian spy falls for a CIA officer and considers becoming a double agent.

Something like Cure (1997)
I've never heard of Cure, but checked it out now online, sounds intriguing, don't watch enough asian film, I'm going to give it a go, thanks!

Cure (キュア Kyua?) is a 1997 Japanese psychological thriller film with elements of horror and film noir.

Looking for a movie watching partner
A Monster Calls
xXx: Return of Xander Cage

Ultimately, the distinction between "thriller" and "horror" is how the movie makes the audience feel. If you feel "thrilled," it's a thriller. If you feel "horrified", it's horror. For example, the movie "Cujo" might horrify some people, but it doesn't horrify me, it jut scares me. The movie "Psycho" - on the other hand - horrified me the first time I saw it; but on repeated viewings, it just thrills me.
cujo is a horror thriller, it is rated at imdb as this, so it is a horror thriller, horror movies are usually horror thrillers, there are some movies that go into the drama section of horror, and fantasy horror( bram stoker's dracula) and movies like shadow of the vampire that go into the section of drama horror, so movies that have most shocks and scares the most are the horror thrillers.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
The Usual Suspects
Fight Club
Shutter Island
Memento
Neprijatelj (Th Enemy)
Dial M for Murder
Rope

Those are just from my favorites list.

The Usual Suspects
Fight Club
Shutter Island
Memento
Neprijatelj (Th Enemy)
Dial M for Murder
Rope

Those are just from my favorites list.
Shutter Island is a great movie, one of those I can watch a couple of times each year, Fight Club is just revolutionary and it still holds up, Memento groundbreaking, The Usual Suspect is a remarkable film but I can't decide if the logic and twists actually holds up to closer scrutiny or not - without thinking too much it's awesome.

What about Split, anyone seen it, is it worth watching? It's got surprisingly good reviews and I had kind of lost hope on M. Night Shyamalan, maybe he's back in form?

A Monster Calls
xXx: Return of Xander Cage
A Monster Calls was definitely a good movie!

I really think Gone Girl is contender for top 10 thrillers of all time.
It doesn't matter what it is. If you combine "Fincher" with "thriller" you're in for a hell of a ride.

My top 5 thrillers.

> Oldboy (2003)
> New world (2013)
> Phone booth (2002)
> A hard day (2014)
> Taken (2008)

It doesn't matter what it is. If you combine "Fincher" with "thriller" you're in for a hell of a ride.
I must agree, Fincher is a master, Se7en and Fight Club, and of course Gone Girl!

MC for the Great Underground Circus
In no particular order:

The Game
Jacobs Ladder
Angel Heart
Seven
Usual Suspects
The Others
Mothman Prophecies

CAPE FEAR with DeNiro is such a great thriller