Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk (2017)

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
first time hearing about this and very intrigued by this

The first teaser trailer was insanely good, really intriguing and showing some actual suspense, but the actual trailer was a huge let down. This is still the most anticipated movie of the year for me, but will definitely skip any additional trailers not to get my excitement lower.

Hanz Zimmer you bloke, you've done it again. This score is kicks a**.

First time this event has ever gotten into a movie so that is exciting. IMO, the movie will either be very good or very bad. What worries me is Harry Styles. Nolan told The NY Times he hired Harry for his acting chops. Hope he made the right decision.

This might just do nobody any good.
From what I'm hearing, Harry is barely in it. The film is supposed to be a couple of short stories interlinking.

This might just do nobody any good.
Man, I'm just setting myself up for dissappointment reading review headlines.

WWII Battle as a Symphony. Nolan's Masterpiece.
Easily the Best Movie of the Year.
A Triumph of a Movie.
The Year's First Slam Dunk Oscar Contender.

Welcome to the human race...
First time this event has ever gotten into a movie so that is exciting. IMO, the movie will either be very good or very bad. What worries me is Harry Styles. Nolan told The NY Times he hired Harry for his acting chops. Hope he made the right decision.
I recently found out that there was a 1958 film called Dunkirk starring Richard Attenborough, but I daresay I'll end up watching Nolan's film first anyway.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I recently found out that there was a 1958 film called Dunkirk starring Richard Attenborough, but I daresay I'll end up watching Nolan's film first anyway.
Mrs Miniver.
Atonement.

Yes. Marvelous sequence.
I havent seen it yet. A friend gave me the dvd last week. Need a wriggle on.

Of the dozens of feature films made in recent decades about the war, none focused on Dunkirk. That's a direct quote from the New York Times, which, thanks to the above, I now find out to be untrue.

You guys must be forgetting the masterpiece that is Asylum's Operation Dunkirk!

I've heard great things about this one, anyone seen it?

I've heard great things about this one, anyone seen it?
Doesnt premiere here until tomorrow.

Big Nolan guy but I was honestly not really looking forward to this like I usually do with Nolan flicks. Until the reactions started coming out. Silly me. Always trust Nolan. Excited to see it now.

Off topic but I really do think Nolan is going do a Bond soon. I know Craig is returning for one more. So I think Nolan does another movie then after that he gets his hands on the Bond series. He has expressed interest in doing one and I'm sure the Bond producers would back a dump truck of money up to his door step. I actually think he uses the Bond franchise the same way he used Batman. Think he will do a trilogy and use the good will and money from the studio he generates off Bond to have the autonomy to create more original blockbusters. Like he got Prestige, Inception and Interstellar made from batman good will.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Yup... I think everything he does is pseudo-mind challenging.
Nolan's movies are like the definition of pseudo cool mind challenging movies.

For instance, in this case he is doing a movie about the Allied retreat in 1940. Why, if he wanted to be artistically challenging not do a movie about a much more historically important event than the retreat of a few hundred thousand allied soldiers (out of the 4 million that were captured by the Germans).

How about a movie focused on the 1940 German victory in the Battle of France from the German's own perspective? It was among the most impressive military achievement in world history, certainly the most impressive in the 20th century. Doing a movie that does justice to Manstein's brilliant strategic plan and how they had to manipulate Hitler to make Hitler not screw things up and meanwhile Hitler himself managed to convince himself that he was the author of the strategic plan, would be pretty cool. I am not aware of any movie about the Mainstein's plan even though it's perhaps the most important military event of the last century.

And such a movie will certainly feel more serious since it's not this obviously ethnocentric take on a historical event (how a movie can be more ethnocentric than this?), instead being very morally ambiguous since it shows a great victory by an evil regime. Which would make it more profound.

Instead of making a (almost propaganda) roller coaster movie about the "adventurous" retreat of a few hundred thousand soldiers that didn't have any substantial impact on the war? And why this Hollywood obsession with the British perspective (basically, it's the only country that cares about that retreat)? Sure they colonized the US about 400 years ago but why does the US's movie industry has to obsess so much with the UK?