Who should play Bond after Craig?

Tools    

They were talking about Gerard Butler at least 15 years ago in connection with Bond. Jason Isaacs was also mentioned as I recall, and at the time I liked him but felt he'd be too much like Timothy Dalton. Apparently the producers were interested in Henry Cavill when they were casting after Brosnan's departure but considered him too young. I think it would be a bit awkward now with him being Superman.

Henry Cavill is possibly the most boring Superman ever cast. I would really hate to see them have the most boring Bond ever cast.

I have to return some videotapes...
Henry Cavill is possibly the most boring Superman ever cast. I would really hate to see them have the most boring Bond ever cast.
He's not a great Superman, but I think that stems from both the movies he's been in were garbage. He's a strong actor he just needs the push to finally get there and Bond may do that for him.

I have to return some videotapes...
Michael Fassbender or Henry Cavill....directed by Russo Brothers.
Problem with everyone saying Fassbender is he is too bloated and connected to too many franchises. I don't see him being Bond just based on the fact that he doesn't want to be over exposed.

It's a shame that you both think he's a weak Superman – I've only seen the odd bit of Man of Steel but I quite liked him. The bit I particularly took to was when he tells Lois that it wouldn't have been much of an arrest if he'd resisted, because although he's being good humoured the idea of that in itself has an air of menace. Christopher Reeve's my favourite. He just looked bang-on physically and was otherworldly at the same time.

Problem with everyone saying Fassbender is he is too bloated and connected to too many franchises. I don't see him being Bond just based on the fact that he doesn't want to be over exposed.
I think Michael Fassbender's a fantastic actor and I've only seen him in a handful of films. I really want to see Shame and I'm interested to see what happens with The Snowman too. I saw Vera Farmiga saying that what impressed her about him was the range of emotion that he can manifest on his face and I think she's exactly right – he's a master at it. Maybe that's why I'm skeptical about him as Bond – he's that bit too interesting and emotive and he'd lose some of that playing that character?

You're right about the franchises – what is it now? X-Men; Alien; Assassin's Creed? It gets a bit too sprawling.

Madness is the emergency exit…
Surely not as good as Reeve but Henry Cavill is doing a fine job as Superman, IMO and he surprised me as Napoleon Solo in The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and that gave me hope to see him as a future 007. But yeah...if they like to keep the dark persona of Craig era Bond & continue with it in the next phase, then yes...I'm not sure about Cavill to be able to take that kind of challenge. I think he'll do fine if they going to treat Bond some sort of in between of Connery & Moore version.

Though I'd love to see him as Bond but I gotta agree with you. He's indeed engaged with too many projects/franchises that it's really kinda doubtful that whether he'll agree to play Bond if he even get the offer.

I sincerely apologize in advance to anyone that believes Daniel Craig is the best Bond ever, but to me, his performances as Bond are just one dimensional, and dare i say it, boring.

His most recent outing for anyway was a snooze fest. It didnt help that it was poorly written.

Personally, my favorite Bond of all time was Roger Moore. He had everything, the look, the charisma, the cheesy comedy. I just love his performances as Bond.

May i throw a name out there and see what other 007 fans think. Tomy Hardy. For starters he is British. That may sound obvious, but with Hollywood these says it wouldnt surprise me if they made Bond be played by an American actor.

He has runs on the board doing action films, The Dark Knight rises. Yet he can also be very funny, such as in Rock n Rolla.

Anybody agree? If not who would you like to be the next Bond? Btw i heard that Craig didnt even want to play Bond again but was swayed by the money or whatever.

This might just do nobody any good.
I'm not seeing Hardy, Fassbender or Elba getting this. People want it too much. Like Clive Owen before Craig.

My pick: Matthew Goode.

He'a the right age, a more cerebral Bond would be a good change from Craig's "blunt object" portrayal and I always thought he had something slightly sinister in his look, which I'd argue is crucial for the character.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Hardy would be my pick. He's got great charisma but Id also vote to have Christian bale, another English boy, in the role. Given his acting chops it would be interesting to see how it could go.

Welcome to the human race...
Hardy's arguably a bit too similar to Craig in that they both have a "sensitive brute" thing going on - each new Bond actor tends to change things up radically compared to their most immediate predecessor in order to stay fresh, so Hardy is liable to come across as "more of the same". In this context, Saunch suggesting Matthew Goode makes a lot of sense.

A pretty boy skinny runt who looks like he couldve walked out of a Twilight movie.

Whereas this guy actually looks like a man, someone that can mix it up in a fight, wear a suit, and hold an intellectual conversation. Hes the same height and weight as Sean Connery, and has raw charisma to boot.

Like Hardy, Butler is one of those dudes who I can't see working out too well because he's too close to what's already been established by Craig.

Like Hardy, Butler is one of those dudes who I can't see working out too well because he's too close to what's already been established by Craig.
Mm, I disagree on that one. Craig is an actor, Butlers a movie star. Craig will deliver everything the director desires, but Butler has the swag, the "it" factor. Is able to pull of comedies like Rock n Rolla, and romance convincingly. Craigs a better actor, but couldnt pull off what Butler did in 300. Its a raw charisma thats been lost from James Bond since Sean Connery.

Mm, I disagree on that one. Craig is an actor, Butlers a movie star. Craig will deliver everything the director desires, but Butler has the swag, the "it" factor. Is able to pull of comedies like Rock n Rolla, and romance convincingly. Craigs a better actor, but couldnt pull off what Butler did in 300. Its a raw charisma thats been lost from James Bond since Sean Connery.
Given how my original concern was that the replacement would be too much like Daniel Craig, to suggest that a replacement should be more like Sean Connery (who Craig was already compared to a fair bit) and suggesting the most obvious present-day Connery analogue possible, casting Butler now looks like even more of a backward step.

Given how my original concern was that the replacement would be too much like Daniel Craig, to suggest that a replacement should be more like Sean Connery (who Craig was already compared to a fair bit) and suggesting the most obvious present-day Connery analogue possible, casting Butler now looks like even more of a backward step.
Oh come on, just because Daniel Craig is more believable action star doesnt mean hes Sean Connery, nowhere close. Butler has more comedic timing and charm by far, plus can deliver with the action. You dont need a pretty thespian to play James Bond, he'd be easily forgotten. Butler leaves an impression when hes in a movie, not as good as, but more like Connery than Craig ever did.

Hell, Id rather see Fassbender than Matthew Goode, but Butler would bring more life to the role than Fassbender even.

Tom Hardy would be a bad choice, and yeah that would be just like Daniel Craigs Bond.

Oh come on, just because Daniel Craig is more believable action star doesnt mean hes Sean Connery, nowhere close. Butler has more comedic timing and charm by far, plus can deliver with the action. You dont need a pretty thespian to play James Bond, he'd be easily forgotten. Butler leaves an impression when hes in a movie, not as good as, but more like Connery than Craig ever did.
I never said he was, I said his take on Bond drew comparisons to Connery's (the whole "sensitive brute" thing I mentioned already). None of this is getting to my point about how they shouldn't follow him up with someone who's practically identical - Butler's "raw charisma" isn't going to make much of a difference when it's liable to be a replication of what Craig already did, but it'll be worse if trying to invite direct comparisons to Connery by having the most Connery-like Bond since the original ends up coming across as a desperate and poorly-conceived decision on the producers' part.